Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MummyMoo82
Beginner October 2012

Carrier bags. Again,

MummyMoo82, 25 of April of 2013 at 07:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 27

Who thought carrier bags could spawn 2 threads?

when you were at school and you had to take stuff in that wouldn't fit in your bag, would you use any old carrier bag, or was it uncool? In my day, the ultimate bag of choice was one of those River Island ones, the dark green/burgundy decoupage Victorian print type ones. No idea why. I only ever bought 1thing in there in my life, and probably only did it for the bag!

There was a shoe shop (Raw?) that sold Kickers etc, and they had thick plastic drawstring bags, and they were cool too. I can't remember any others?

The canvas body shop bags were very cool for a while, although that was more as a school bag in general as opposed to one for extra stuff.

so, anyone else? Or was it just me?

27 replies

Latest activity by Irisbride, 25 of April of 2013 at 23:44
  • Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, it *had* to be a cool bag!! Anything name brand...River Island, Topshop, Miss Slefridge....no Tesco bags for me!

I'm still kind of the same. If I have to use a carrier bag from home, I always dig out the nice ones rather than using a Tesco or Asda bag etc. if I douse a supermarket bag, I always try to use a Sainsburys or Waitrose bag too...I am a carrier bag snob!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Yes! River island bags were acceptable, as we're faith ones, they were orange drawstring ones with 'rin tin tin' on them.

if you had a new look bag then you were shunned. If it was a tesco bag or similar you may as well not bother going to school!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

It was the Jane Norman bag craze when I was at school. I wasn't cool enough so stuck to New look instead.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Jane Norman here! Or we had a designer shop in town that sold various ranges, Miss Sixty, French Connection, DKNY - if you had one of them you were ultimate cool!!!

Ok I'm going to admit something... I used to kinda collect carrier bags... I wouldn't get rid of the bag if I didn't already have one of them. That's so so so sad and I have a horrible feeling along with my spoon collection (i dont have this no more eithet btw), that this is going to feature in my dads speech... Help me!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Guessing none of you had Spinneys or Choitrams? No just me? Ok back in my box.

I do still notice the cool bag thing, my clients like JD Sports and GAP bags , think its the drawstring that makes them cool Smiley smile

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

Jane Norman for me too! I also kept them if I didn't already have the colour.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I remember the jane norman bags too!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yep, Jane Norman, Faith, Topshop, River Island etc were all acceptable.

I particularly favoured the 'box' style bags - you know, the ones with a gusset that had rope handles?

I would NEVER have taken anything to school in a supermarket carrier bag.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would never carry anything to anywhere in a carrier bag of any description. Except current shopping.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Ah good to see other people are the same!

im currently carrying my maternity notes around in an Apple bag, although that's mostly for practicality as it is drawstring and I can sling it over my shoulder with my handbag whilst I struggle to carry a whinging toddler.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not to school? But it was considered the height of cool!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't you lot afford rucksacks ?

I wouldn't have used anything other than mine blue and black Adidas rucksack. They WERE cool. Promise

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well. yes, I had that too! Worn with the straps really long so as to do as much damage to your back as possible.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Haha, oh God, I remember the carrier bag craze, and the kids would get bullied if they had a supermarket bag!

If I didn't have a 'good' carrier bag, I'd carry all my extra stuff in my hands - it was a billion times better than a supermarket bag!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely this!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Jane Norman bags for us, or any sports branded drawstring bag.

I still keep JN bags now, they are handy! I sold a large one on eBay once for a fiver!!!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Over one shoulder only was the trend in our school!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Spinneys as in the supermarkets in Dubai ? Yep, I had these as a kid, I lived there in the late 80's !

As for when I was at school, I would only ever use the bags with the drawstrings, so JD sports and Faith shoes bags etc, never a standard supermarket carrier bag ha ha

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Not carrier bags here, we had the jelly craze as in bags and shoes, fun times!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

You couldn't get away with a carrier bag at my school, even for things like your food tech ingredients! I still remember a girl in my year coming into school in year 7 with a Primark carrier bag (one of the big, pillow sized plastic ones they used to have) and people were still calling her a "tramp" in year 11 for it!

When I started secondary school, black "Morgan" messenger bags were all the rage, and it slowly evolved to Jane Norman and a few others. For a while the draw string nike bags were the in thing, but only for PE kit.

When I got to year 11ish Paul Frank got really big and I came into school one day with a Paul Frank messenger bag after a trip to London and people seemed in awe hahah, i've never had so many compliments in my life!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

WTF! I was obviously far too kool!

I had a rucksack but you could only wear it on one shoulder as only losers, geeks and tourists wore rucksacks on both shoulders and I had a gym bag as well for PE days.

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I would not have taken anything to school in a supermarket carrier bag! I wasn't cool as it was without lowering myself further down the foodchain. It's still stuck with me now a bit if I must use a carrier bag I pick out the nice solid ones. Our Tesco ones get used for bins and garden dogsh1t. If you had a topshop bag that was the best, or you could possibly top that with Jane Norman but you had to go into the city to get that. New look was acceptable, but no primark or peacocks! I remember a craze of la senza and ann summers bags. As a self concious teenager though I never went there. For how we wore the ruck sacks it was definitely straps full length so they hung past your bum. My mum used to tell me off all the time and even OH has took the Mick.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe thats a boy thing? I was talking to MrMini this morning and at his school the boys had to take any additonal stuff to school in a boot bag?! MrMini is the least sporty man I know.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Rucksacks? No, when I started yr7 it was record bags all the way. Only geeks had rucksacks.

In later years rucksacks became cool, but only one strap, or then 2 but reeeaaaalllllllly long. I dread to think of the damage done to my back all those years of trying to be cool!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I had a rucksack like this, only slight different colours

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was at one school years 7-9 and the trend was also to have your bag as low as possible. If you didn't cause that kind of damage to your back you were known as a 'happy camper' and bullied constantly. ?

Year 10 through to 6th form it was all about wearing it on one shoulder if you had the misfortune of owning a rucksack and if not it was BIG HANDBAGS. I never ever ever had a handbag at school and even at uni I still have a big rucksack. Practicality before fashion in my opinion. Don't care what people think of me.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! Yes! I had this but in a green and red colour way.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember we all had boot bags too (I'm definitely not a boy) for PE.. I can't remember what was in them but assume it would have been trainers....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics