Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cat In A Teacup
Beginner August 2015

Cat flap escape!

Cat In A Teacup, 18 of June of 2013 at 20:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Does anyone else have a cat that has worked out how to open the cat flap?

Tonight I witnessed one of my little terrors darlings claw and bite her way through 2 layers of duct tape and then open the cat flat with her paw before strolling outside! She did it for the first time last week (hence the duct tape at night).

Any ideas on how to stop her? We don't let them out at night as I am an over protective cat mother ?

6 replies

Latest activity by Pompey, 19 of June of 2013 at 08:46
  • V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

My cat at my Mums is a master escape artist! My mum tried everything from tapping up the catflap, to putting stupidly heavy boxes infront of it, and despite my cat being no bigger than a kitten she still managed to escape.

We now have 2 timber channels attached to the wall either side of the door and a mdf board that slots in to the gap. It is the only thing that stops her!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I think that if they are determined enough, they will find a way out. I went through a phase of locking our cat flap at night as other cats were coming in but I gave up in the end as I kept coming down in the morning to find the cat flap in bits on the kitchen floor!

Could you move food, water and litter tray at night and shut the kichen door so they have no access to the cat flap? It's not ideal but would definitely keep them inside!

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eeek!

Clever kitty! That's a good idea though, our cat flap is in the living room window but I could probably rig up something similar. Thanks for the idea!

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately the only internal doors we have in our flat are the bathroom and bedroom, bathroom is too small (and cold!) for two cats all night and our bedroom has a really annoying slide door that they mastered opening very early on!

I don't know why I am so scared of them being out at night, probably safer than the daytime with less cars on the road.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Just let them out, you will be stressing them out by locking them in when they have free run the rest of the time.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

We tape cardboard over ours when we dont want them bashing it but we are able to lock it so the only way to open it is to bash their way through which they dont do. Ours is mostly set on night mode so it locks when it gets dark and opens when it gets light.

I used to let mine have 24/7 access until one of them got hurt probably by a car so now they are in at night and have access to the cat proof garden all day.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

The only way I've seen is by having a lockable cat flap. Cats are very very very persistant.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics