Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Cat food recommendations

Erin8, 24 of June of 2014 at 08:26 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

What cat food would you recommend? At the moment l give them Burns dried food -either chicken or fish. Then for wet food l give them either Iams or James Wellbeloved. They seem to like what l give them at the moment but they are a bit bored so l want to mix it up a bit.

21 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPinkHair844, 28 of June of 2017 at 09:57
  • Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

My cat was brought up on felix wet food but recently i've started alternating with whiskas to stop him getting bored. He won't touch any biscuits other than whiskas though. He has fairly cheap tastes thank god!!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Ours will only eat felix pouches (fusspots!) and really like go-cat biscuits - they have a mix of dry/wet throughout the day..

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Our cats would only eat that wet food As Good As it Looks, but it made them poorly and lose weight and our vet brainwashed my H against it. They now have the orange bag of dried Iams which they absolutely love. It fills them up too so in the long run it has been cheaper. We will keep them on that for as long as they will have it.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Mine are on Pro Plan Senior (as they're both over the age of 7) but I mix it up a little now with some Felix AGAIL senior wet food too, because eating the same dry food day in day out must get boring!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

What's wrong with As Good As It Looks? That was all Misha would eat at first but I've eventually managed to get her on to a combination of that and Go Cat Indoor Cat dry food. No idea if there's actually anything particularly beneficial about it being specially for indoor cats but she does have less furballs and less stinky poos now!

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

We feed Mori Monster James Wellbeloved dry food. In a ball so he has to work for it. When we ran out and couldn't get any I fed him Iams I had in the cupboard. He was not impressed! at the moment he has Royal Canin for beautiful coat because they didn't have the James Wellbeloved I normally get. He seems to like that a lot.

Wet food is a rarity for Mori. It makes him so much hungrier. So occasionally he has it as a treat, if we've been away. But we've only really fed him Whiskas or Felix As Good As It Gets, because that's what we were feeding him when we first got him and didn't know about better, "good" food. I wouldn't buy it again once we've run out, I'll get Jame Wellbeloved or such.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Just give the cat Dreamies.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Whiskas wet food with Iams dry.

We used to give my cat Dreamies as a treat (only a few a day) but they are literally addictive and she got really bad with them so had to stop

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I can't stand to give my cats cheap food like whiskas, iams etc. I give them James well beloved, applaws or wainwrights biscuits (usually mix all 3 into one tub) and for wet food same as dry but also hi life which is their favourite.

Once a week they get a real treat like boiled chicken, bit of tuna and cheese or boiled fish.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

No one answered my question before, genuinely what is the nutritional difference between cheaper brands and more expensive ones? Why are cheaper brands considered not good enough?

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cats are carnivores. Therefore they need meat. If you read the packet of whiskas cat meat it says 4% meat which is animal derivatives which is obviously rubbish meat, nothing of nutritional value. The more expensive brands have more meat in them and I won't buy the meat unless it's at least 50% proper meat content.

I've read before that feeding your cat cheap food every day is like us eating mcdonalds every day. Just not good for them.

I will be honest in that my cats are just stupidly spoilt! Some cats prefer cheaper meat as well. I wouldn't dare put whiskas meat in front of them as they would certainly turn their noses up to it haha.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My cat will only eat James Wellbeloved dry food. She thinks all wet food is the work of the Devil.

Her prerogative!

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

We feed Royal Canin Indoor biscuits - they also have Felix As Good As It Looks. Not my choice, I've tried all the meats under the sun but they will not eat the stuff that's good for them for more than 2 meals. I don't want them to have a full biscuit diet so better they eat that.

They get raw meat as well, if I had the freezer space I would move the young 'uns to full raw. Madam Mia won't touch it unfortunately and gives you the dirtiest look for bringing it into her presence.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes you'll find that outdoorsy cats are more likely to turn their noses up to wet food because they can catch better themselves.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Ours has Whiskas wet food and either Morrisons own dry or I'll buy Go Cat or Whiskas if it's on offer. She won't touch any other wet food, including the "premium" Whiskas varieties. Easy to please!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

The only wet food mine will eat is the pets at home one. And they like Go Cat dry the best.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I feed a rotation of Macs, Ropocat, Bozita, Smilla, Animonda Carny and Omnomnom which are great because they are grain free, no sugars and a high meat content. They are a pate food so the food is really compact which means it goes a lot further. I do feed Butchers Classic but I am not as fond of this as it is full of jelly so the cats need to eat more. It is good value though and grain free and perfect in a rotation. There are other food as well but some are more expensive so it is all about finding a rotation that suits your pocket!! 3 cats cost around £70 a month to feed.

I dont feed much dry but the dry that I do feed is Applaws which is high meat content and well priced.

Raw is another option, not something that works for me permanently but I want to get the cats to eat one meal of raw chunks a week so their teeth get a workout.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I have ordered them some Applaws and HiLife. Lets see how they get on with them!

• L
    LuxuriousPinkHair844 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! You could consider feeding your kitten with some grilled/boiled fish, some small chopped veggies, and some rice. My cat absolutely loves it, but you should consider changing the menu sometimes. Maybe adding different types of meat, vegetable. You could also use food products for cats that have been proven to be healthy. I find this site a little while ago and it has helped me a lot with feeding my chubby little fur ball. Here's the link if you guys are interested https://obeymycat.com/cat-food/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics