Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Cat food - which is best?

24 of September of 2008 at 19:54 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 44

Usually my cat has wet food, she's been having Tesco's Premium Supermeat recently, I tried her on Whiskas but it didn't agree with her, and she turned her nose up at it after a day or so. Then yesterday I received a free sample of Purina One Natural Balance biscuits, and she's gobbled it up. I bought a small bag of Purina One today and she seems to still be enjoying it, so I've been looking at other dry cat foods - My thinking is that with dry food they'll be less waste (she won't even consider eating wet food a few hours after it's been put down as it dries out) and because of that I'll be able to leave some food down for her whilst I'm at work should she get hungry, rather than making her it at set times which I'm pretty sure is unnatural for cats.

Anyway, I'm currently tied between Iams and Hills Science Plan. Does anyone have any idea which is best? Or is there another that they'd recommend instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: She's an old cat, about 17 years old.

44 replies

Latest activity by Shree, 29 of April of 2024 at 14:25
  • O
    Beginner March 2006
    Oak ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if Iams or Hills is best - but we feed our cats Oscar Super Premium Agility which seems to suit them well, and costs around the same as the wet food we were feeding them previously.

• whirlwind666
    Beginner November 2009
    whirlwind666 ·
    • Hide content

Whichever one they'll eat lol, mine are truely fussy and annoyig! I tend to feed them pouches almost on demand, but always leave out a big bowl of dried food as well and plenty of water, it seems to work......

• legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

Ours have this

http://www.organipets.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

Bics has dry food mostly, is a mix of royal canin, james wellbeloved and Hills Natures Best. she likes the variety of tastes and shapes. Doesn't cost us that much...

The wet food she has is Applaws we give that to her a couple of times a week.

Bics used to have Purina One, she loved that too! HTH

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Legless, I am always interested in new foods is this one good? Not that I expect you to say it is tasty ? but have your cats gone off it at all?

• legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

They love it, been on it since we discovered it about a year ago, we get a monthly repeat delivery. you can get small bags in waitrose.

• Nun
    Beginner September 2006
    Nun ·
    • Hide content

My cats would eat Purina one, salmon and rice biscuits all day long if I let them. The more expensive the biscuit the better quality apparantly.

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

Oz eats dry food (he used to have wet food and biscuits but went off it and just ate the biscuits ignoring the wet food) so we looked around for a complete cat biscuit to give him a balance diet. He likes a bit of variety and chops and changes between James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin and Purina biscuits. The Oscar biscuits are meant to be excelllent but i've yet to find anywhere over here that stocks them.

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Legless I am going to nip down there tomorrow! Bics gets excited when she sees I bring home more new food for her to try ?

• M
    Beginner
    Mwnci ·
    • Hide content

Both my dog and kitten (ok, my parents' kitten) eat Burns they seem to like it.

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

On the recomendation of the Cats Protection League when we collected Pinot and Pernod from their rescue centre, we feed ours either Purina One or Purina Pro Plan and Felix pouches with Jelly (another purina product)

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

cats arent like us though. they dont need varierty. i really dont know much about the subject as a while but we ve had ours on hills and now he s on oscars, which is fab. i m not entirely sure why people give their cats wet food at all.

• janeyh
    janeyh ·
    • Hide content

Mine has purina one - also sheba every couple of days because she loves it and i am a sucker - but also because she doesnt drink (unless from the running tap or a puddle and as the wet foods are mostly water it seemed like a good idea)

• alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

Bernard gets mostly James Wellbeloved, plus a sachet or 2 of wet food a day as he seems to get quite constipated on a pure dry food diet

he is 15 though so his digestion isn't what it used to be

• Melawen
    Beginner January 2007
    Melawen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm you don't know my cats then. I have about 3 varieties of wet cat food on the go for my two - with only one they seem to turn their noses up after a day or two. They also have dry food which gets eaten but if we didn't give them the option of wet there would be uproar. (And has been).

• K
    KJB ·
    • Hide content

Mine have Royal Canin for neutered females which I get in 10kg sacks from the vet. Either that or Hills Science Diet. They have a Felix pouch between the 3 of them about twice a week as a treat....it lasts about 0.7 seconds! It's their equivalent of junk food.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

believe me, if there was just one, whilst they may turn their noses up at it, eventually they would eat it. i dont really understand lots of cat and dog owners, it seems to me that they are hell bent on anthropomorphising their pets.

• janeyh
    janeyh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i agree - it is quite amusing really as i dont allow my children that much leeway - if they dont eat their supper it is a bit tough

the cat gets fussed over though ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

If i dont keep my eye on madam, if i have a rib of beef in the fridge, or any other decent cut of beef, she ll be hacking bits off it and feeding it to the cat with a <baby voice> there look at dis my little man, want some beefy weefy?" etc. its nauseating ?

• Dove
    Beginner
    Dove ·
    • Hide content

My cat has Hills or James Wellbeloved and likes them both, I recently ran out of the usual stuff so tried Sainsbury dry cat food - she was not impressed so it was back to her regular brands!

• janeyh
    janeyh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you need my cat - she gets very pissy about baby voices or any other kind of endearment - she is a total madam ?

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

My cat has Royal Canin for neutered males under 7 with a very small amount of Royal Canin dental mixed through.

He's not yet two, but his teeth were quite yellow and the vet recommended the dental biscuits as a preventative measure - along with a toothbrush and some poultry flavoured paste. He doesn't mind having his teeth cleaned, but does like the paste, so he sometimes gets a little bit on the end of my finger to lick off.

• Sabs~
    Beginner September 2007
    Sabs~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our vet recommended that we feed a mix of wet and dry food to our neutered male cat. Apparently they have a tendancy not to drink enough which can lead to kidney problems and the wet food helps avoid this.

He gets half a pouch of wet food, and some biscuits each meal. He's currently into Tesco's pouches and Whiskas biscuits. I am thankful that there is some choice when is comes to flavours though as if we give him anything with beef in it makes his farts really, really stink.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

My cat hoovers food, so I don't think she really notices any kind of taste as it goes in so quickly. We used to feed her normal pouches from tesco or sainsbury's but she was putting on weight. She now has 1 tin (1/2 morning, 1/2 night) of science plan light - a chicken pate for fatty catties.

I buy all her food online and it works out at half the price. I use these two;

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/

https://www.viovet.co.uk/index.php

ETS: she also has a few biscuits at 6pm in a ball that help her teeth - https://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1249

I wish she would leave her food in her bowl & pick at it throughout the day..but no, the whole lot must go!

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto, except she won't eat any of the lamb flavoured ones. She's been on Hills since the vet asked us to mix in their dental chunks as she had bad teeth when we adopted her.

She's had some by a company called Burns recently too and likes that as well.

She occasionally gets a Hills pouch of wet food as a treat but she won't eat wet food on a daily basis. Fine by me, its much more expensive!

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

Nick it is interesting you say the whole thing about different foods. When speaking to our vet earlier this year when Bics was ill, she discussed with us food (she used to have Iams and we got a telling off for it some years ago) and how to put her back on dry food after her stomach bug.

She actually said that there have been studies on cats eating habits and apparently they like the different foods shapes so that can promote better eaters. I have been mixing foods for a while anyways and was told it was a good thing.

I must admit after weaning her off Iams I was much more conscious of what she could eat to be honest and am always interested in trying foods others recommend.

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you dont give wet food you are missing out on a whole food group...

gravy! Yes both my cats and Mr G class this as an essential food group. ?

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I used to work for Nestle Purina and went on a pet nutrition course where I discovered that their digestion systems are similar to ours but different needs. The main one for cats being that they can't be vegetarian as they'd miss out on a crucial amino acid which they can't make themselves like humans so without meat in their diet they'd go blind.

Purina One is excellent, as in Pro Plan (the 1st in supermarkets, the 2nd in pet shops & vets). I think Hills is also good but Iams def caused animals to have diseases so they could "cure" them. Try not to switch too often as it can upset their tummies. Dry food is also more efficient i.e. less poo!

OP, your cat could also benefit from a Senior version of any of the main brands which has extra nutrients and less fat to maintain a healthier older cat, a bit like tailored kitten food.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Shall we send that to Iams manufacturer and let them defend themselves?!

Come on, I know you said you worked for their competitor but you can't really believe that.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've heard of this before too Zebra .. in fact IIRC it was on Hitched. Quite a few people actually pleaded with others not to feed their animals IAMS - and various links were posted about the product.

I might be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but my memory is telling me Lois wasn't too keen on IAMS either (but not sure if it was for the same reasons)

This all sticks in my mind as I used to feed my cat IAMS, but have since stopped (due to his bladder infection and being recommended a different feed by the vet rather than the scaremongering / possible truths)

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Peaches, I'm willing to believe there could be a problem with Iams cat food (although I remembered it was an animal testing controversy that people didn't like about the food).

But I do not believe that the manufacturer deliberately designs their product to make cats ill and sell other products. Even I'm not that cynical!

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I understand your concern but I haven't worked for them for several years. If you google P&G or Procter & Gamble (the manufacturers of Iams) the first few websites are all against them! As an example and with info about Petfood:

http://www.boycottpandg.co.uk/testing.asp

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics