Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Cat food - which is best?

24 of September of 2008 at 19:54

Posted on Off Topic Posts 40

Usually my cat has wet food, she's been having Tesco's Premium Supermeat recently, I tried her on Whiskas but it didn't agree with her, and she turned her nose up at it after a day or so. Then yesterday I received a free sample of Purina One Natural Balance biscuits, and she's gobbled it up. I...

Usually my cat has wet food, she's been having Tesco's Premium Supermeat recently, I tried her on Whiskas but it didn't agree with her, and she turned her nose up at it after a day or so. Then yesterday I received a free sample of Purina One Natural Balance biscuits, and she's gobbled it up. I bought a small bag of Purina One today and she seems to still be enjoying it, so I've been looking at other dry cat foods - My thinking is that with dry food they'll be less waste (she won't even consider eating wet food a few hours after it's been put down as it dries out) and because of that I'll be able to leave some food down for her whilst I'm at work should she get hungry, rather than making her it at set times which I'm pretty sure is unnatural for cats.

Anyway, I'm currently tied between Iams and Hills Science Plan. Does anyone have any idea which is best? Or is there another that they'd recommend instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: She's an old cat, about 17 years old.

40 replies

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Actually you're right .. it was an animal testing controversy rather than deliberate alterations of the food now you come to mention it. I'm getting old. My memory is clearly fading.

Besides, if that were the case surely they'd be hung, drawn and quartered?

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry but that's hardly an unbiased opinion on the product - it's full of antivivisectionist propoganda. As a scientist, I take everything that bunch of crackpots produce with a fistfull of salt.

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

I ffed my cat the whiskas pouches (the ones with the peas and carrots) and Purina one dry food. He hates the beef puches by I get around it by giving him Beef when he firsts come in as he's usually starving (he goes out at 6am and doesn't get home until gone 9pm at night - I'd love to know what he gets up to). He tends to have 4 pouches in quick succession and then he'll eat his biscuits if he can be bothered!

Oh and I talk to him in a baby voice - sorry but I just love to pick him and give him a cuddle (even though he hates it!!!).

• Ginger
    Beginner June 2008
    Ginger ·
    • Hide content

Mine just have dry food.

when they used to have wet as well they were fussy, and so it used to go off, so i don't give them wet at all, and have not done for years.

They have supermarket dry food and eat it just fine.

• Dove
    Beginner
    Dove ·
    • Hide content

Just to side track the thread, I went on a seminar recently about stress in cats, a few things were mentioned that I thought were interesting;

Double feeding bowls should be a no no, cats in the wild wouldn't eat their prey next to their water source for fear of contaminating or tainting the water with blood etc, therefore we should follow the same with domestic cats and have separate food and water dishes and preferably in different rooms or at least a good distance apart.

Bowls should be stainless steel or ceramic, again plastic bowls could 'taint' the water (apparently).

Water bowls should be shallow and a large surface area, wild cats drink from the edge of a water source so that they can survey for danger at the same time, the same goes for domestic cats, don't use deep dishes were they have to put their head right in to drink from, it makes them feel vunerable.

Just wanted to share, not sure if any of you would find this interesting but I did (sad git icon).

• alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bernard drinks out of a champagne bucket (he really really does)

He has certain standards donchaknow

• Dove
    Beginner
    Dove ·
    • Hide content

• Shree
    Curious March 2019 Karnataka
    Shree ·
    • Hide content

Choosing first-rate cat meals can be challenging, as it depends on your cat's preferences and dietary needs. It's superb that your cat loved the Purina One Natural Balance biscuits; however, it is necessary to reflect on the consideration of different elements too.

Both Iams and Hills Science Plan are legit manufacturers regarded for their excellent elements and balanced nutrition. However, every cat is unique, so what works nicely for one might also no longer be appropriate for another.

Before making a decision, think about consulting with your veterinarian. They can furnish personalized suggestions based totally on your cat's age, weight, recreation level, and any precise fitness concerns.

Additionally, look for cat ingredients that meet the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards, indicating they provide a whole and balanced diet for cats.

Ultimately, the first-rate cat meal is one that your cat enjoys and prospers on, so it might also require some trial and error to locate the ideal fit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics