Skip to main content
Ostira
Dedicated October 2023 Durham

Catholic Church Fees?

Ostira, 27 of July of 2022 at 23:14 Posted on Planning 1 16
Saved
Hi everyone,
For a long time we’d planned our wedding at Gretna Green but due to some new circumstances that’s come up that may not be possible so we’re looking into a more local alternative. We were always going to have a religious ceremony at Gretna and a Catholic blessing afterwards (I’m Catholic my fiancé isn’t). I live very close by to my local RC parish but before enquiring I wanted to know if anyone else had a rough idea on the fees they may charge now? Years ago, when my cousin married they didn’t charge due to marriage being a sacrament but I feel as though this may have changed since 2007! If anyone has recently married in a Catholic Church and could give me some advice I’d be so so grateful! Very stressed!

16 replies

Latest activity by Hoa, 11 of August of 2022 at 19:52
  • AJX
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    AJX ·

We're getting married in a catholic church in 2024 and it is costing us £250, it's classed as a 'donation' but it's not really haha! I think that's pretty cheap for the ceremony, i'm sure that registry offices charge more as well x

• Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! I’d searched online but found nothing! £250 isn’t much really considering my local registry office is charging £390 for a midweek ceremony. I will get in contact with my local parish now I feel a bit better about asking x
  • AJX
    AJX ·
    View quoted message
    Absolutely, that’s on a Saturday as well! It might differ depending on parishes but I can’t see it being by much x
  • Nicole&Stuart
    Beginner September 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Nicole&Stuart ·

My sister got married in a catholic church back in 2020 and they paid the Priest the same amount they would have paid a celebrant/humanist but that was through their own choice rather than a set cost. I think it depends on the church/chapel and you are best reaching out to them direct to see. Sorry if this isn't much help.

I have just started planning mines and have opted for a humanist celebration as although I'm catholic, I'm non practising and my fiancé is a non practicing protestant so its just easier for us.

The priest has said he will marry us in a non religious ceremony though so you may have the same option?

• Michelle
    VIP July 2023 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    Hi hun sorry your plzns didnt go tje way you wamted you were so exited about the eloping hope you find the information you need x 💗
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    That’s really good! Our wedding day would be a Friday. Our parish priest is on holiday at the moment but once he’s back I’m going to contact him and I’ll update you! X
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s great that your priest offered that! We’ve agreed on a religious ceremony as my fiancé knows it’s always been important to me but thank you for the information! I’m going to contact him once he’s back from holiday x
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you lovely, I know it has always been a dream but it may not work that way after all.. instead we are thinking of a Catholic ceremony, photos and then off on a UK honeymoon in the afternoon! X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2023 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    View quoted message
    Its about whatever works for you both hun sometimes plans change and you will still have an amazing day no matter where you are x💗
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Finally spoke to the parish priest! He’s able to do the wedding for £100, £160 with an organist! X
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you lovely, I finally got through to the priest and we are meeting him soon x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2023 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    View quoted message
    Yeah that meeting needs to be soon so you can get it out the way xx💗
  • N
    Beginner July 2024 Lancashire
    Natalie ·
    We’re getting married in a RC church and they’ve asked for a donation because marriage is a sacrament. They give a suggested donation of 2% of the total cost of the wedding.
  • Ostira
    Ostira ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the reply Natalie! My RC church got back to me and said it will be £100 for the use of the church and £60 for the organist, they can also organise flowers etc if required. I’m not sure if £100 is just an organised donation or if they indeed charge!
  • AJX
    AJX ·
    View quoted message

That's really good! x

• Michelle
    VIP July 2023 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    Thats really good x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics