Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Funky*
Beginner January 2001

Champagne on a plane?

*Funky*, 23 April, 2013 at 10:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

No not a fabulous sequal to snakes on a plane......

Is it safe to transport champagne in checked in hold luggage? (Thinking ahead to honeymoon we have lots at home we could take with us rather than buying more in duty free)

OH says we can't as it will explode/pop resulting in soggy clothes. I am not sure I agree with him? Surely all the champagne transported to shops/hotels/restaurants etc around the world must get some air time at some point?

I can't see anything on any airline websites stating you can't pack fizz in hold luggage.

Anyone had any experience?

23 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 24 April, 2013 at 09:43
  • Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Surely you can - if you bought some in Duty Free you would be able to take on the plane with you wouldnt you?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never done it but almost certainly. The pressure changes can't even pop a bag of crisps (they simply expand in a hilarious fashion) so it certainly won't cause a champagne bottle to explode.

I'd be more concerned about breakage as your luggage is thrown around. But if it's packed well into plastic bags/bubble wrap, you might be OK.

Bear in mind that on your honeymoon, you may get lots of complimentary champagne (although it will be fairly bog-standard).

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Awe Funky, my first initial response when I saw the title was "drink it, and copious amounts too" but then opened your thread! ?

Not a clue about transporting it etc but I am sure someone will be along soon.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Maybe just wrap it in a towel to be on the safe side...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha!

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I know I've transported wine before.

A google search of other forums seems to say it should be fine pressure wise and it's just the possibility of general breakages that you need to worry about.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

I brought several bottles from Ireland to Scotland last year and they all survived without a problem, we just packed them in well. Obviously a shorter flight but can't see it being an issue!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Yes! We did it on one or other leg of our honeymoon. Just wrapped it in a towel and it was fine (makes the suitcase blimmin' heavy though!)

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

It must be fine as you can buy it off the trolly can't you? I know you can definatly buy the small bottles but pretty sure you can buy the bigger ones too!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea but is there a difference between carry on and checked in baggage in terms of temperature and pressure down in the hold?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The hold has to be pressurised, otherwise the (very thin, bouncy) floor of the passenger cabin would blow out into the hold. I think the hold would also be climate-controlled, because don't they transport animals in there?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha I always thought animals were transported on a special animal cargo plane ?

I guess It must be temperature controlled otherwise stuff would just freeze I assume?

Is there not an air hostess among us?

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I think they climate control the hold specifically when animals are on it? Not sure though. I'll try asking OH tonight as he used to be a pilot (although not on big commercial planes but I'm sure he'd know something about it)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I took a bottle of Bollanger to the canary islands at the beginning of the year for my OH's dad's 60th. I was worried about it as it was a special gift but it was fine.

I just wrapped the bottle in my clothes and put it in the hold. It was absolutely fine when we arrived, no worries.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure to be honest but my first thought was is it really worth the possible damage/soaking of your luggage?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would make sure it was very well wrapped and covered in taped up plastic, I reckon.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I would sooo send an email to the airline asking the same question and requesting advice for your HONEYMOON, make them smile. be a bit cheeky and then ask for an upgrade as it's a special occasion*

*although in my head you are already flying first class to your honeymoon

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha if only Clare!

But I will be cheeky at the desk and ask for upgrade. (Don't ask don't get and all that)

Thanks all for the advice!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we did this- alas we flew with RyanAir (damn budget wedding) the response was not pleasing....

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only time I blagged an upgrade was when i phoned ask first to ask and they said i had to ask on the desk, but they would leave a(n electronic, i presume) note on our booking detailing our request and that may help. It we; we got the upgrade. Btw they only tend to bump one class, but premium economy plus was nothing to be sniffed at on a 13 hour flight with severe food poisoning....

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha upgrade to where are not all the seats equally as sh!t?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hoping for a fellow queen on the check in desk who will be charmed by our fabulousness ?

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Its fine, I transport cava from the canary islands all the time and never had a breakage.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I put all my bottles in platic bags and seal them so if it does crack/split/explode it's contained. Just pack it in the middle of the case too surrounded by soft stuff. It will be fine :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics