Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

porkchop
Beginner September 2012

Changing name on driving licence

porkchop, 4 of October of 2012 at 14:44 Posted on Planning 0 13

Now I'm an old married I'm trying to sort out all the changing of name stuff!

Have tried a search but all questions seems to be about certificates, rather than what I need to know! I'm probably just being thick.

Section 5 on the form asks for proof of identity and if you have a passport you can put the number and sign and they will check with the passport people. But my passport is in maiden name? so not sure if this will be ok? and then the signature on the bottom of the form, I assume my new one wont match the passport one. Surely its easier than I am making it, and I'm just being daft??!! I dont want to change my passport as it has years left.

Anyone shed any light please?

13 replies

Latest activity by Featherpaw, 30 of August of 2015 at 15:58
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I had the same thing, passport in maiden name and I had NO intention of changing it due to cost! (Driving licence being free.)

I put the number of the passport in, and included my marriage certificate (along with self-addressed stamped envelope for them to return it to me) so they could see I used to be Miss X and was changing to Mrs Y.

For the life of me I can't remember what I signed as, I'm sorry. I think I signed the driving licence form in my married name.

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Did you see this?

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

From how I interpret it, you fill in and send them form "D1", your old licence, and your marriage certificate.

Ignore passport stuff - if it doesn't match it won't work as proof of ID.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, saw that but form D1 asks you to provide proof of identity as well as your marriage certificate.

Cant find a number to call them either!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It does - it matches the name on the marriage certificate. The marriage cert is then used as proof that you have changed from maiden to married.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I sent off my passport details (in my maiden name) and my marriage certificate and that was fine. Signed it in my new name, as far as I remember it tells you to do this on the form because they need it to put on your new license.

Just remember to send back your old license. I forgot to do this and it took a bit longer.

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Ah. Grr!

Maybe passport will work then? You will need to sign in the "magic box" bit in your married name though, as this is the signature they will print on to your new licence.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I did the passport thing, I changed my driving license first and used my passport number with maiden name in it and then changed passport when I got it back. As Saisi said, the marriage certificate shows your maiden name.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I did it this morning and now worried that I didn't read the instructions properly? I just enclosed my old license (both parts) and completed my new details (we have changed address too). Hope that's right?!!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Thanks folks. Will do passport bit as maiden name, and sign the box at the bottom as married and fingers crossed!

• A
    Beginner August 2015
    amieandmax ·
    • Hide content

Great post, answered my questions very quickly after trawling through tons of info on passport and DVLA sites!

one question- do you definitely HAVE to send your paper copy? I think ice lost it ??? Did anyone send just the photo card?

Congrats new married ladies!

:-)

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

Think the paper part is now scrapped - I remember something being on the news back in July this year

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence

it was from the 8th June when they scrapped the paper part

How this link helps and works

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Yes the paper part of driving licence is now scrapped so doesn't matter if it's lost. So should just be form, licence and passport number on form to confirm identity, sign new name and send marriage licence.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I just did this yesterday except I have to switch from a German to a British licence as well. So I had to include my marriage certificate, driving license and also my identity card. So glad I also have a passport so I'm not without any identification for a month or however long it takes.

• Featherpaw
    Beginner September 2015
    Featherpaw ·
    • Hide content

This may be a stupid question, but if we don't have a passport (mine expired approximately 5-7 years ago and I haven't needed one until a few months ago!) do we then use our birth certificates as proof of identity instead?

I am going to get a passport after all the other name change stuff has happened as it's been a bit of a pain not having one over the last year with the wedding stuff, but we didn't see any point in wasting money on one until after the wedding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics