Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Rowan to be
Beginner March 2015

Charity Favours??

Mrs Rowan to be, 13 of August of 2013 at 15:11 Posted on Planning 0 11

Had some great discussions over the last few weeks about Favours with the OH. I am for them, he is not.

I like the idea, OH thinks that they are a total was of time and money. Someone came up with an idea as a comprimise - that being donating to chairty instead of "wasting money" on favours. I instantly loved this idea as i am a support and fund rasier for Breast Cancer Research.

Upon discussing this with the OH i explained the idea and that i would fashion a little note to all guests in place of favours telling them what we have done. This he has now decided is tacky!

What do you all think? Go with the traditional favours, Charity favours or no favours at all??

x

11 replies

Latest activity by MiniSuzieQ, 13 of August of 2013 at 17:33
  • MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

If it is a charity that is close to your heart, I would go with that. We will be doing charity favours because my OH's mum died of cancer in April, so we are doing either a donation or pin badges in aid of Macmillan, and writing a little note on each guests name card explaining why we have done it.

Favours can be tacky, but when done in a classy way they can be really personal and guests really appreciate them.

xx

• Mrs Rowan to be
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs Rowan to be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pin badges are a great idea!

X

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

We did the charity thing. We made a little board explaining what we had done with some leaflets about the charity if anyone hadn't heard of them- it was a local charity and close to our hearts. I don't think it's tacky at all, but personally we went for the small notice rather than putting things on tables as we didn't want to come across as 'rubbing people faces in it' so to speak. People seemed to think it was a lovely idea.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Why does your Boy think it's tacky? Because advertising your charitable giving is bad form? That's not a viewpoint I'm unsympathetic to, but I see the balance between discretion and wanting to promote a charity.

Anyway, a recent thread:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/393940.aspx?PageIndex=1

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

I dont think leaving notes on everyones place is "rubbing their noses in it" As everyone there knows about my OH's mum, they will understand and appreciate our gesture. I would never expect anything when attending a wedding, so if the hosts want to give money to charity rather than spend it on something that is likely to be left, I would be in full support of that

xx

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

If you want to go with traditional favours, edible favours are normally the cheapest and easiest and I guess with edible favours there is little chance of them being left behind/wasted.

Something like one of these...

I think charity favours can be done nice and tastefully as well, and are especially nice if there is a charity that means something to you and your family, something like these...

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Katede it looks like we are date twins - 7th June?!

I love these flashes

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we are ?

I've already sorted my favours but love the apples with personalised stickers, lol ;-)

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

We're doing pin badges for leukaemia and lymphoma research, it's a way on donating, but your guests 'get' something too.

It was a easy decision as my fiancé was/is battling leukaemia

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I'm just writing a blog post about incorporating charity into your wedding, you can get charity favours from cancer research uk that are designed by jenny packham etc. with a suggested donation per favour of £2.50, they're slightly different from the normal pins and ribbons you get from cancer research. With these special wedding ones I think they make and personalise the note for you as a placecard for the wedding favour pin, so it's worth looking into that.

Here's the blog post about incorporating charity into your wedding: https://www.mariannechua.com/alternative-wedding-inspiration-3-ways-to-do-good-things-for-charity-at-your-wedding/

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oh someone else has posted the exact pins I was thinking of from cancer research, the bird one up there ^^^

There's also a nice sparkly heart one they do.

• M
    Beginner December 2013
    MiniSuzieQ ·
    • Hide content

Definitely Charity, what a lovely idea!

Especially if family and friends can relate to the charity and its personal to you. i have asked that rather than a gift, our guests take a trip to the local blood bank in the run up to the wedding and donate a pint or if they are too squeamish or can't, they can make a donation to a charity close to our hearts.

Lots of people will completely support you spending the favour funds on a donation, anyone who doesn't and prefers a small bag of sweets is crazy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics