Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kyanya
Beginner June 2013

Chief bridesmaid/Maid of Honour/just bridesmaids - what did you decide?

kyanya, 25 May, 2012 at 07:41 Posted on Planning 0 15

The other post about how you asked your bridesmaids got me thinking - are you all having a chief BM or MoH? I can't decide - I think I know which BM I would pick for the special role if I was having one, but it's not such an automatic choice as it would be for a sister, so I don't know if it's the right thing to do. I love all my BMs equally - picking one out as more important makes me feel a bit uneasy I guess!

What really is the role of a CBM or MoH? Is there any difference between the two? And could their responsibilities/roles just be split between 3 BMs?

15 replies

Latest activity by Chedi, 25 May, 2012 at 22:03
  • S
    Beginner
    sochen48 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you friend.

I'm glad you can share with us all this.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to have one, especially if you're only having a couple of bridesmaids. Their role is fairly flexible, but may include things like being the one to straighten your train in the church, taking your bouquet at the altar, having a bag with all your vital bits and pieces in, organising your hen do, organising the other BMs... Depending on your set up for the dinner, they may sit at the top table, but it's not uncommon to have all or none of the BMs on top table. Some people put their MoH/chief BM in a different dress, but you don't have to.

I had a chief BM, and she just did a few of the bits above. She wore the same as the other BMs, but she did sit on top table and they didn't.

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I've got three bridesmaids and I've asked them to all help with differentthings- one doing te hen do, one is helping with decor etc. I couldn't choose a MOH from them and I haven't decided on top ttable stuff yet

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I am only having two bridesmaids and I couldn't decide so they are both chief bridesmaids to me Smiley smile

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Mine are all just bridesmaids. They'll all be on the top table with me and will all be sharing in the duties on the day.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I'm having one MOH and two additional bridesmaids. My MOH won't really do anything differently, although she will sit at the top table. I chose to ask her to be my MOH, rather than my other two best friends because she asked me to be godmother to her son, and I don't have children yet to ask the same of her.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I had four bridesmaids (all friends) and my oldest friend was my chief bridesmaid/maid of honour.

She took charge of organising my hen do and held my bouquet during the ceremony.

I don't think it is necessary to have a MOH if no one springs to mind automatically.

ETA: None of the bridesmaids sat on the top table. They had their own 'bridesmaids and partners' table.

• T
    Beginner June 2012
    TheDitzyOne ·
    • Hide content

I am having two bridesmaids, but neither is my MOH/Cheif. I couldnt pick. Their main duties will be to look after the four little ones and hold my bag and bouquet during the ceremony.

We also decided to have just the parents on the top top table with us and our son, so the Bridesmaids will sit at one table and the Best Man and Ushers will sit at another. The pageboys and flower girls will be sat with their parents.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm having two, my sister and my best friend. My sister was the automatic choice for MOH. She's doing more in the run up to the wedding than my friend is, but that's because she lives closer and she's my sister, rather than because she's been given the title of MOH. She'll sit on the top table with me, again, because she's my sister rather than MOH.

She'll be one of our witnesses, along with the best man, but that's just our choice. She'll take my bouquet at the top of the aisle, but that's probably the only "MOH" type thing she'll do!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 2 BM's, when I asked one I thought it would be funny to say 'maid of honour' so I could call her my maid/old maid for fun not realising it meant something slightly different! Oh well :-)

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I have 3 bridesmaids, they were all chosen from different areas of my life and therefore impossible to compare which is more important or close, so I said right from the beginning I'm not having a CBM or MOH.

However one of them who lives the closest has been more involved and is taking charge of the hen do so she's kind of a unofficial CBM but it will stay unofficial.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

My sil2b is my BM, my best friend is my maid of honour - she was always going to be the most important BM and has done more things for the wedding too. I originally called her my Chief Bridesmaid but she asked to be MoH instead so that sorted that!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

As I have no sisters, when I was choosing Bridesmaids I only really had friends to pick from. I picked some friends to be BM's and my automatic choice for CBM/MOH as she was my very best friend at the time. As it turned out, I only ended up with 2 BM's anyway (most of the friends pulled out or never got back to me on dresses etc) and the other BM was a child, the daughter of a family friend. So it all worked out well. My understanding from my wedding (in a church) is that the CBM/MOH signs the register

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

I'm having two bridesmaids, and one of them - my cousin - will be my MoH. Really though, they will pretty much do the same things and she won't have any special responsibilities, except maybe holding my bouquet and other bits and pieces ?

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I've got 4 bridesmaids, 3 of them are ages 8 to 11yrs so my friend who is my age automatically became MOH so not to really class her as one of the girls (who I felt too old to be flower girls).

So in this case, my MOH has a much singlar role of sorting out hen-do, coming with me dress shopping, and just generally being there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics