Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner January 2010

Civil ceremonies and arrival drinks

bridetobe1, 9 October, 2011 at 21:06 Posted on Planning 0 15

Me and my intended have been viewing places for possible venues for a civil ceremony and reception and are comparing them all in terms of costings, photo opportunities, ceremony rooms, rooms for the wedding breakfasts and evening reception and bridal suites.

We really want the day to be enjoyable for everyone while keeping costings to a minumum. Was just wondering what the etiquette of welcome drinks is at civil ceremonies - is it usual for the bride and group to pay for everyones welcome drink. We don't mind paying for the drinks with the meals and toasts but by omitting a welcome drink we could save up to £400 which could go on something else.

We have been to civil ceremonies before, one which had welcome drinks and one which didn't and we struggling with what to do........... xx

15 replies

Latest activity by nanny plum, 10 October, 2011 at 20:31
  • MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Hi and Welcome to Hitched Smiley smile

We are having a civil ceremony and providing champagne and canapes for our guests while we are off having photos taken, I think its nice for the guests to be able to have a drink/nibble during this time as they can get a bit bored hanging around.

But then again it depends on what time you are getting married though and also the season, if its hot for instance then the guests would most probably welcome a cold drink and again if its a winter wedding then perhaps a warming glass of mulled wine would be nice too..

Hope this helps? x.

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I don't the the etiquette is any different because it's a civil ceremony as opposed to a church ceremony followed by reception. We're getting married at our venue on 29 October (eeeek!) and the package we're chosen includes welcome drinks for everyone, wine with the meal and a champagne toast.

I think it's nice to offer a welcome drink if you can afford it.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there is really any 'etiquette' about it these days. If you can afford them and want them, then great, have them. If not, nobody is going to complain about it (at least not to your face I hope! but then some people will always moan!).

The way our day was structured, we didn't have anything alcoholic until the evening. I think a lot depends on how the timings work out. For example, if it works out better to have everyone arrive and immediately sit down for the meal, then scrap welcome drinks. On the other hand if people are having to wait around for an hour or two for you before the meal starts, I think it is nice to provide some refreshment, even if it's (say) a non-alcoholic cocktail if it's cheaper. Just something to drink, and maybe something to nibble, BUT as I say it's all dependent on the timings of the day.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

See what options your venue can give you. We had a civil wedding at a hotel, and for our welcome drink they offered a fruit punch which was £3.50 each, so for 115 guests its about £400 similar to your guests.

Agreed it's money you could be spending elsewhere but it's one of those things that you probably just need to swallow the costs.

I would suggest not bothering with canapes though... they're very expensive for what they are and I feel they're a bit of a waste of time. You hardly notice eating them they're so small.

However, the bottom line is that whether you provide a welcome drink or not, that won't be the make or break of a good day for your guests. It's highly likely your guests will have a fantastic time regardless.

Depending on the sort of prices your venue is offering, you may find that a supermarket wine deal plus venue corkage charge works out cheaper.

Don't forget to offer a non alcoholic option for your guests who are driving, don't drink alcohol, or children.

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobe1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your comments, finding them really helpful! Unfortunately the venue we have as a front runner doesn't allow corkage as that was one of the routes we were intending to explore but it has amazing photo opps and beautiful rooms for both ceremony/reception and accommodation. xx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Don't get too carried away with photo opportunities - a good photographer will get decent shots regardless of where you are, and a good venue dresser (or a creative bride/groom) will make even the blandest room look amazing.

What the rooms look like is only one factor in finding the right venue for your special day - price, accessibility, flexibility, closeness of reasonably priced accommodation, quality of food, price of drinks, general service etc are all factors that you need to consider before making a final decision.

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

If you are having drinks (other than just one) then canapes or at least nibbles of some description are pretty vital. Through inept positioning a group of us at a friend's wedding managed to find ourselves on the drink circulation route, but not on the canape circulation route. Given 2 hours between arrival at reception and sitting down to dinner, I was definitely missing the canapes (especially after 4 glasses of champagne (and I turned down at least 4!). Don't need to be fancy, but having something to nibble makes life a lot more comfortable. Remember that guests are unlikely to have had more than a light lunch (sandwich) because of getting ready.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember not being offered an alcoholic welcome drink at a wedding. But if there weren't any to be had, admittedly I'd notice but it wouldn't even cross my mind to think bad things about the bride and groom! I'd just occupy my thoughts finding the bar....

I do think it's nice to have something non-alcoholic available, which could be just some nice jugs of cordial, dressed up with fruit/mint/etc. Even water is welcome if people have been in a hot room or are standing in the sunshine.

Canapes - I might be going completely agianst the grain but I think they are a lovely touch that can do wonders to add elegance to your drinks reception (and soak up a bit of booze). Maybe the venue could provide more freestyle nibbles, rather than formal canapes? Strawberries/olives/nuts/etc on tables will do the job and will be much cheaper.

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

I too think canapes and a welcome drink is a really nice if not essential touch. We're not getting married till 3 then the wedding breakfast probably wont be served till about 5 to give everyone time to mingle and have photos taken so feel guests need a little something to keep them going - BUT it is your day and you do what is important for you and what you feel is best for your guests - I'm very food and drink focused so this was important on my day - doesn't mean it has to be your priority :-)

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Welcome drinks are included with the venues package but I think we would have had them anyway even if they weren't. We are hoping to get canapes thrown in as well but probably just chocolate dipped strawberries.

Do any of the venues you have been looking at provide packages that would include this?

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

We are lucky enough to be getting married in the last year that the venue are allowing people to bring their own drinks and not charge a corkage !

This is only for welcome drinks, and during the meal, all drinks for the evening will be supplied by the venue and charge at 'pub prices'.

We are having Pimms, beers, and soft drinks for our welcome drinks, along with canapes, and throughout the meal, wine, beer and soft drinks as well.

We've already been stocking up on the beers etc, while they are on offer. And the wine is being sourced by a friend who works in that industry who gets it a a rock bottom price !

I've not been to a wedding where there hasnt been drinks and canapes, and just from experience, everyone tends to be a bit peckish, as not a lot will have a decent breakfast, and even less will have lunch, and the canapes are certainly a welcome addition when they arrive !

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

A cheaper option is the sweet buffet, where people can help themselves as often as they wish. Perhaps not as healthy as canapes but certainly as filling, and probably more appreciated given that most canapes are tiny and you only get a couple per person.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For me, personally, I wouldnt want to eat sweets between the ceremony and wedding breakfast, they are just full of sugar, E numbers etc and, if you had children as guests then they wouldnt eat their meal.. for me, not a great idea to have them..

Maybe during the Evening Reception, yes, but not as nibbles.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is worth the £400 for the drinks and canapes TBH, it adds a really nice extra touch. I know I always appreciate them if I'm kept hanging around for a while during photos etc without having had much of a lunch.

We're having a civil ceremony (abroad) at about 1.30pm hopefully and after the ceremony we are planning on having a Prosecco toast and some canapes during photos, then a little walk to the sea front for some more romantic pics then off for a 20 min drive to the WB so we won't eat until at least 3pm maybe 4pm, I think nibbles will be pretty essential to keep everyone going!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Welcome drinks..yes,i think they are a nice touch. If you can afford it i think it is nice to supply the drinks for welcome,toasts and throughout the meal. After that i left folk to but their own devices.

Canapés are a lovely touch but i got married at half two and then my wedding breakfast started at 4pm so i avoided that expense.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics