Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

claim to fame

14 February, 2013 at 07:56 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 103

Following on from mummymoo82's thread, do you actually have any famous/celebrity relations?

my cousin is a man called adrian lee, he is a member of mike and the mechanics and he wrote "in the living years" about my great uncle and it was sung by mike rutherford in M&TM. He now lives in the US and writes for phil collins and tours with him and Toyah!

My sister is a member of the paralympic Team GB for wheelchair basketball

these are mine!

103 replies

Latest activity by unexpectedpenny, 4 March, 2013 at 11:34
  • MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

FIL's cousin had something to do with the Pretenders (I can't remember what) and also FIL's best mate worked with The Animals. I haven't got any other than meeting Derek Acorah and Jim Bowen haha

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Only my DH, who is well-known in open source IT circles. Occasionally he gets recognised by various geeks. Recently it was in a mobile phone shop in Finland when he was buying a SIM card. The cashier took his credit card and said 'are you THE xxxxxx' and he said yes, and he got SIM card and credit for free!

In the 'real world' it means nothing to me. He is just a hairy bloke who spends loads of time on his laptop and can never find his keys/shoes etc

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Mummymoo, sorry I have to ask .. what do the DH DS etc things mean? Am I being really thick?

My claims to fame.

My uncle was a regular session musician with the Stylistics in the 60s and 70s.

His daughter (so my cousin) is known as the Filipina Queen Of Soul.

(Bit of a tenuous one) When I studied Marketing & Advertising, my tutor was the copywriter who came up with "Probably the best lager in the world" line for Carlsberg.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Dear Husband, Dear Son. It's from back in the day of being on other forums. I do try and say Hubby instead when I remember

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

No! My family are utterly boring....and I tell them so Smiley winking

my ex however is te nephew of Neil Gaiman. And he himself is a big tech (geek) writer for one of the big techy blogs.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

My grandmother's cousin was Richard Harris (played Dumbledore in the first few Harry Potter films before he died). I also have a Canadian cousin who was in a band called the cranberries, but haven't heard of them for a long time!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Oh and a bit of an embarrassing one- my cousin used to go out with Anthony Costa from Blue! He came to my birthday party once...!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My lovely dad won the Booker Prize.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's pretty cool. Are we allowed to know which book?

I've looked after some famous patients, but obviously can't tell you who. ️?️ I can't think of any of my relatives who have done anything famous, though my cousins' grandpa (not a blood relation of mine) worked with Krebs on his eponymous cycle. Which is pretty cool if you're a biochemist, but means nothing to most people!

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Wow!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I have absolutely no famous relatives. I would love to know who AC's dad is though!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so cool?

I am somehow related to Shakin Stevens. My uncle was Bucks Fizzes bank manager and is still very good friends with them.

I starred in a tv ad for the Sun in the very early eighties, possibly late seventies.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I have any famous relatives. I have friends with famous family members though.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

My mum used to be a model & dated a couple of famous footballers in the late 70s/early 80s(not at the same time!). I can't remember which ones though.

H's grandfather wrote a book about being a POW in Japan.

I used to babysit Robbie Williams' second cousin.

I am also friends (via H) with the production manager for Made In Chelsea.

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone know the 80s rock band Asia? They've just got a new guitarist and it just happens to be OHs best mate! He's playing at our wedding too, so now I get to say a member of Asia played me down the isle!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Gem archer (oasis) used to babysit me. His wife is my sisters best friend.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

My father in law dated Julie Walters!

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? *jealous*
    If he makes a bad job of it, you can always tell people it was a bad decision made in the heat of the moment........ (I'll get me coat ?)

OH's great aunt used to be a proper "it girl" back in her day, and partied with Princess Margaret apparently!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Ooh actually I do have a semi-famous relative, my grandma's cousin was a holocaust survivor who wrote a book about it and has an MBE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-335392/Amazing-escape-Auschwitz-gas-chamber.html

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha love it! He's actually getting married himself in July, so I'm rather excited to be meeting some rockstars at the wedding!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I have a couple:

- I live not far from Robbie Coultrane (Hagrid in the Harry Potter films)- My dad used to service and MOT his cars, and he said my eldest niece was cute!
    - When i studied at college, i had various 'famous' lecturers including Woody from the Bay City Rollers and the manager of 90's band 911. There was also some guy from the bluebells too, but i can't remember him so much.
    - I work beside the sister of David Sneddon (of Fame Academy)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

My dad wrote Championship Manager (that usually impressed boys when I was in uni!)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Seriously?! So I can blame your dad for the constant irritability, jubilation and frustration I was subjected to for years then?! Smiley laugh

Tell me more!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! He's a computer programmer. He didn't come up with the idea for it, but he wrote it all.

Some guy I used to fancy in uni told me that he was practically failing his degree because of it!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Knees, that's amazing, my 6th form common room days were spent playing champ man ( we were cool kids so got away with calling it this) with the boys...this s the best claim to fame yet!!

I don't have any, altho I did meet Jade goody once and the cheeky girls once:

• firefairy
    Beginner June 2013
    firefairy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All my claim to fames come through my grandfather: he also worked with Krebs... theres a photo of him in our family album! I was very excited when i found this (such a geek). Also watson and crick.
    He also had a temper tantrum in front of Freud (they were neighbours!)

Oh and I met a a few b-class celebs when my glass got gunged on Live N Kicking years ago.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I'm distantly related to The Hoff but I don't like to brag.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

Nothing remotely as exciting as some of these!

We (company) sponsor a couple of sports teams / people. Stuff that's on Sky Sports but nothing mainstream like Football.

A couple of sportspeople are dads at A's school.

I've met Chesney Hawkes a couple of times! ??

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Some of these are pretty awesome! Knees I actually used to like to play Champ Manager, my ex was well into it so I played it as well.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Not really claims to fame but...

I was on an episode of Courtyards and Castles on West Country TV, in costume as a medievil person.

My Aunt was all over the news when she campaigned for the UK to rescue hostages during the Gulf War as my Grandpa was being held in Kuwait.

Someone I went to school with is a news presenter.

I stood next to Beyonce in Topshop and didn't realise until I wondered why three burly men dressed in black bomber jackets were surrounding the rail I was looking at.

OH's cousin's BIL is in Casualty, which I don't watch.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This has REALLY tickled me!

AC - your dad won the Booker Prize? That is absolutely wonderful; what an incredible achievement.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Just thought of another one, my BIL's wife is a Welsh actress and was in an episode of Gavin and Stacey, although I've never met her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics