Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SillyWrong
Beginner October 2014

Controversial: Running from a monster in your wedding pics

SillyWrong, 20 of January of 2015 at 15:10 Posted on Planning 0 40

I know this is probably going to offend some people - but i am interested to hear others opinions on the matter, therefore I'm going to run the risk, along with a disclaimer that I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I don't get it. Every time I see a wedding photo of the Wedding party running from a robot / dinosaur / dragon (etc) i'm puzzled.

Like this:

Of course, each to their own, it's a bit of fun, and whatever floats your boat ... but I just don't get it?

40 replies

Latest activity by *J9*, 21 of January of 2015 at 15:53
  • pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

I agree SW I saw this in one of my magazines over the weekend and my OH was like why? why are they doing that? We both had no idea!

I agree each to their own but would just like to know why!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh god, I hate it! I actually discounted photographers on the fact that they had these photos on their websites I hate it so much. Each to their own, but it's not for me! They also have an obscene amount of bride and groom party members!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I love the IDEA of it, and i think it would have been amazing to have a picture of me running from a dinosaur as i'm a great big little boy at heart and love dinosaurs, BUT i'd have felt too much of a d!c% to actually do it. especially in wedding clothes.

a photo shoot in bloodied costume however could be amazingly fun and has now put the idea in my head. lol

i think it may be that juxtaposition of wedding/dino or whatever, which throws some people.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I had never come across this before visiting wedding planning forums and have never seen any 'real' people do it. Is it an American thing? I'm with Sillywrong, don't understand why you would want this as a wedding picture.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I find them a bit random personally. But if the bride/groom is a Palaentologists or Robot fanatic I'd probably think differently.

Generally, it's not for me though

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I really, really dislike it. Mostly because it's a trend that peaked a while back but is being dragged out, and in many cases done quite badly. A lot of the ones I see the bridal party just don't look all that into it, which kills it really. I saw one recently where one of the bridal party were pregnant and they had faked her waters having just broken and everyone looked surprised ?

I don't get it to be honest. But then, I suppose there are people who don't get (or like) what we do so it's all good :p

I suppose the world would be a very boring place if we all felt the same way.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

If we did actually go ahead with a Skyrim theme wedding as we've joked about, we would probably do it with a dragon or something for a laugh if us and the tog could be bothered. OH is a photoshop wizard and digital artist though, so he'd probably do the editing himself!

Apart from that, I don't get it. I also don't get the recent trend of the bride and BM's flashing their pants? Maybe it's just me!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We did it at my friends wedding recently, it was a bit of a laugh but I'm sure some of the guests wondered what the hell they were doing. I think if you like it then why not? It's just one picture. I wouldn't personally want it, I like the idea of it but it would make more sense if I was dressed in normal clothes.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I don't get it. Also seems quite 'trendy' but possibly now over done.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I dunno, I think they're quite funny. Not that I would ever do it Smiley smile

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

It's not for me which is why we didn't do it ? Having said that, I expect there are aspects to my photographs that other people don't get, such as the close up pictures of my dress and shoes etc...

I know my Mum didn't understand those ones!!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I've done this type of shot four times over two years.

I don't do it anymore. But in every case I've done it this was at the request of the bride and groom.

Believe me when I say that these things take so long photographers would rather NOT do them and yes, it has totally been over done.

Discounting a photographer because they will bow to the request of a bride and groom (or you) is discounting them for the wrong reason. It's unlikely they'll spend six hours on an image without you asking ?

Each to their own. I didn't want one when I got married either.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Cant help you, i find them odd too, definitely not for me. But like Bekkijane said, i guess we all might the odd photo or two where people think 'what?!'

Photographs that involve the removal of garters, espeically with teeth, I find a bit odd too.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

To your credit Chris, your ones are by far the best of the bunch floating around.

There are some truly horrific ones out there!

• Hide content

I get all sorts of requests. I also had a couple heavily into the Walking Dead TV series.

And some folk who were into the Street Fighter video games:

I just won't do spot colour.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

What I don't understand from some I have seen is that all of that photoshop work is done on 1 shot and then I see on the same photographers website other untouched shots with lamposts sticking out of their heads. Its like they have no actual photoshop skills and must be sending it off for someone else to do.

Apart from you Chris (of course)

I also wonder what are the copyright implications of the "monster " being used. I think Chris you have said about this in the past that you know a CGI guy where you get yours from.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I have a real problem with fire exits being left in wedding photos. You see these lovely wedding photos and BAM! big green fire exit sign.

Bill, going back to the copyright thing. I soon found that whilst couples wanted these sorts of shot, they weren't prepared to pay for them. So after buying Zebra's from stock agencies I now create the stuff from scratch like the last two posted.

• RusticBride15
    Beginner June 2015
    RusticBride15 ·
    • Hide content

I just dont get it!! Im totally with you sillywrong.. I mean why would you want this? Not a fan of colour splash either not my cuppa!!!

❤️

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

There's a couple of these in the 'best photos' hitched awards which caught my eye. I wouldn't have done it myself and i'd feel a bit silly if i was asked to as a guest at a wedding. Although maybe i'll appreciate them a little more now I know how much time goes into editing them!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

They are not my thing! As far as I'm concerned a lot of photographers jumped on the bandwagon after Chris did them for his clients.

Funnily enough, I met a couple today who had been to wedding fayres and had photographers pushing dino images. The bride thought they were insane and it did put her off booking them

If anyone wants genuine dinos I'll happily refer them to Chris!

• Hide content

I no longer do dino's - honestly, I'm totally done with them.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Oh that's a shame Chris cos when anyone wants anything weird I give them your name!

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

I find it quite bizarre, surely the idea of wedding photos is to capture your relationship, the moment, the emotion of the day etc... unless there was a dinosaur present at your wedding I dont understand why you'd photoshop one in... the same as I wouldn't photoshop in celebs that didn't come! Each to their own but I shall be keeping my pictures limited only to those present!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Not at all keen on these photos. I personally would like to be oblivious to the fact photographers edit photos (although they obviously do & an excellent job). I like to pretend in my wedding photos that I do actually look that good all the time. If there is a wacking great dinosaur edited into the background, somewhat shatters the illusion!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Tacky as hell... unless your having a full blown, all out jurassic park theme

I mean on an island, flown in by helocopters, big electric fenses and torches, a helipad in the waterfall and possibly an actual dinosaur level whole works lol

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Although they aren't my thing I can appreciate them when they are done well. Few photographers seem to have the skills to make them look good. I like Chris' dinosaurs!

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Ive never seen these before! i certainly wouldnt want one - but they are pretty funny. the ones chris has done are great, but again, er not for us!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I need to work on my reading as initially l read the title of this thread as "running away from a mother in law in your wedding pictures"!

I am not a fan of these normally but the Walking Dead one is good.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you; definitely not my cup of tea!!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

That one with the zebras is plain odd.

Its not for me, but then I got married so long ago snapchat wasn't a thing so it's not surprising.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great --- someone has to do this, running away from a 100f giant mother in law going Grrrrrr ?

( yes I know its only in law on one side)

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I had that as a request instead of the Dinosaur.

Had to turn that one down as it was a little too Russian for my liking. The Russians have some crazy photos.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics