Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VeeDubLuv
Beginner November 2012

Cooling Castle - What would you re: price increase

VeeDubLuv, 26 July, 2010 at 12:57 Posted on Planning 0 21

Good afternoon all.

Cooling Castle have recently sent out my booking form for Nov 2012.

Brilliant I thought! Well it wasnt until the weekend when me and my OH sat down to work out numbers that we realised the Cooling have put the price up per person by nearly 30%!

Now I am very lucky that we dont have a set budget but I do think it is a bit bloody naughty to be increasing the cost by this much.

What would you do?

I love the venue but Im a little peeved off by the increase.

I have noticed on here that I am not the only one who has considered changing venues!

xxx

21 replies

Latest activity by VeeDubLuv, 27 July, 2010 at 08:42
  • fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

What?! That's pretty ridiculous. We considered Cooling as our Best Man and his wife got married there a few years back, but it was fully booked. It was one of the more expensive venues when we viewed, so to put their prices up by so much is very naughty. Maybe contact them to find out why they have increased the price by so much? Is there anywhere else you'd want? x

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

It really upset me when I got mine. My 1st thought was to look somewhere else because it was far too expensive then h2b said lets just go for it as we both love it and were only plan on getting married once.

But it had been playing on my mind and last week I said to h2b that I think we should forget Cooling Castle and look for somewhere else. We booked another venue this morning that is still lovely just a lot cheaper!

We have 2 young boys and I really could't justify spending silly money on a wedding.

I have been looking on their website and I think they've had quite a few cancellations, peak time ones too! x

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I went off a bit there! ? I did mean to say you could try phoning them and see what they say. I didn't in the end because I was too upset and too peeved about it. x

• VeeDubLuv
    Beginner November 2012
    VeeDubLuv ·
    • Hide content

Called them and they said that due to overhead increase and that they havent increased their prices for sometime they have had to increase the price to accomdate the their overheads! Far enough I knew that the prices would increase but not by 30% Come on thats just unfair! We worked out that we would have to spend an additional £6k for the amount of people we want!

I am really considering changing venues!

Charliebird I too noticed that peek dates had suddenly appeared! I like the look of your venue! I might just have to go and have a look!!! It look lovely!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I would give them a call and say that you are concerned about such a large increase and ask the reason behind it. They may blame the VAT increases but that does not justify an increase of 30%!!!

Unfortunately with it being such a popular venue, I don't think that threatening to cancel will get you anywhere. They will have a queue of people waiting to fill your place.

Worth a shot though. x

• Nolan2B
    Beginner April 2011
    Nolan2B ·
    • Hide content

That's a ridiculous increase! I think I would consider looking elsewhere aswell £6k on top of your budget is extortionate (imo) that could pay for your honeymoon!! Have you looked at Oakwood House in Maidstone?

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

If they can't honour the prices you expected to pay i would take your business elsewhere

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I'd vote with my feet i'm afraid. I hate the way places seem to get away with silly prices just cos it's a wedding and people think they have to pay loads of money.

Yes there will be a queue of people waiting for your date - but to me, a £6000 increase is disgusiting! It's about what my venue cost, let alone an additional amount!

Sorry to hear it - hope you come to a decision which suits you ☹️

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

As lovely as it is I think they're extortionately priced as it is, let alone increading rates by another 30%! Sounds to me like they're just capitalising on the venue's popularity!

I think there are many venues in the area that offer just as nice a venue but at substantially cheaper rates....I would have a look around and tell them to poke their 30% increase personally, they already make a tidy profit from what they charge! x

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

That is an extortionate increase! Everyone had increased overheads nowadays, but not by 30%, I have heard it is very popular and is mentioned often on here and I think it sounds like they are just being greedy because they can..... sorry not a very helpful comment.

I would consider going elsewhere, my venue has increased its costs by £10 from their 2010 pricelist to the 2011 which I think is fair. I think that had they increased it by 30% it would have changed the way I feel about it as I just think it seems a very greedy and unkind thing to do. I hope you can work it out, if your heart is absolutely set on it then I can understand that you would not want to change xx

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is lovely, I really love it. The lady that showed us round was really helpful too and showed us some of the bedrooms including two of the bridal suites. Although it's not exclusive use like Cooling is it is still very peaceful , especially out in the back gardens.

Even if your not 100% sure about changing venues why don't you look at a couple? There's no harm in looking. x

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Charliebird, maybe just have a scout about and see if there is anywhere else that you'd be happy with?

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack VeeDubLuv but I was wondering did Cooling Castle Barn increase the prices even after you had paid a deposit? Cos now I'm starting to stress about the prices going up and I'm not sure if I will be affected (I'm going to call them anyway)

If it were me I would seriously consider another venue. Cooling castle is beautiful but we only chose it because we loved it AND it was in our budget. Although if you say you don't really have a budget then I suppose it depends how much you love it.....

• VeeDubLuv
    Beginner November 2012
    VeeDubLuv ·
    • Hide content

• VeeDubLuv
    Beginner November 2012
    VeeDubLuv ·
    • Hide content

They dont charge for venue hire its all included in the price per person.

For the date we want Nov 2012 its gone from £76 per person to £100 per person! £24 difference!

I am still unsure. Going to have a look at a few other venues this weekend and what else is out there.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

surely when you booked, you would have booked at a fixed price! I would get back to them and just say to them that at the time of booking these were not the prices, and has there been some mistake?

• AmyLovesPaul
    Beginner May 2011
    AmyLovesPaul ·
    • Hide content

If you hadn't paid a deposit you wouldn't have secured the price before the increase! until you sign the booking form and send the deposit you've not bagged the price!!

Rowhill Grange in Dartford is roughly the same price as Coolings 'old' prices.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours had gone from £82 per person to £122.50 per person!!!! Only £40.50 more per head!!?

• L
    Beginner July 2011
    LallyHay ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married there in a year tomorrow. I am now really worried ours may have gone up, but just read on website "The price is inclusive of VAT, there is no hire or facility fee, there are no hidden charges and there will definitely be no price increases once an agreement has been made." I am hoping this means that because I paid the deposit in Sept last year (which in my opinion is an agreement) that they will not be able to change the prices? The website today still says the same prices that I had been quoted, so I have screenshotted it in case. Would not be able to afford it if it goes up that much!

• VeeDubLuv
    Beginner November 2012
    VeeDubLuv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LallyHay Dont worry!

You will are fine as you have paid your deposit.

I think it has only affected those who are getting married from 2012!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics