Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AmnesiaCustard
Beginner June 2011

Coughing

AmnesiaCustard, 18 December, 2012 at 17:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

I've been sent home from work early as I can't stop coughing. (been going on for about three weeks now)

Is it actually possible to rupture anything from coughing too hard?

13 replies

Latest activity by A.., 19 December, 2012 at 13:24
  • Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

It's possible to break a rib. My Mum and my Aunt have done it.

Have you seen your GP about it?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Can't you pull muscle inside from violent coughing? Ouchy. Hope you're stocked up on cough meds

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Think the muscles have already gone - my poor stomach hurts as much as my chest! Just wondered as I couged up a bit of blood (sorry TMI) but think it is probably a burst capillary rather than anything more sinister. (Have already had TB anyway!)

Not seen the Dr. I know what they'll say... rest (ha ha) and it will get better! I'm not a great one for Drs.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Go and see a doctor Mrs Custard!! Persistent coughing can be very bad for you or a sign of something else so go and make sure you're OK.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

AC I would go to the doctors - they do say you should if you've had a persistent cough for 2 or more weeks, particularly if there has been blood. Sure there is nothing to worry about but better to be safe.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

For me a persisitant cough is a sign I've got a stomach ulcer and bringing up blood is always soemthing to eb cautious about. I'm not saying this is what you've got but it is worth getting checked out.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

But I'm so sure I have bronchitis, the Dr will just tell me to beggar off and I will have wasted a morning hanging about to see him/her (no idea even what gender my Dr is!!)

Shocking bit of "Yes....but" there - sorry, I know how annoying that is!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been pondering and ponderign this since you mentioned it on another thread... can you please explain more about it? To me there are times where yes but are surely a relevant response?

Oh and was just thinking I tore my oespahgus from vomiting lots I am wondering if you can doa similar thing to your trachea - although it is made 'differently' I wonder if this can happen?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I had a dry cough for a few days and lost my voice for a whole week because of coughing too much.

I have had a chesty cough for around 2-3 years now and apparently there is nothing at all wrong with me.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Time to give up smoking that pipe Mrs Custard! ?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

You can hurt things by coughing too much, Ive managed to burst the tiny blood vessels in my right eye from recent coughing and now have a very attractive blood red eye ball, it was fine before the coughing.

The TV ad says if you cough for more that 3 weeks go to the doctor. So go to the Dr, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Just go to the Doc. Also if you coughed up blood it's better to go and be on the safe side.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Definitely go to the Dr for your peace of mind. I had a bad cough and hardly any sleep too for 7 weeks in Sept of this year. No cold or sore throat just a cough to the point where I was coughing up streaky blood due to the rawness. He sent me for a chest Xray to be checked out and everything came back normal but it was bronchitis and I took antibiotics which eventually cleared it up but it took two different lots to do it. Coughing is exhausting and a tip I got off the internet to help get some sleep was warm milk and honey before you go to bed. The honey is antibacterial and the warm milk, being claggy, makes the honey stick to your throat and tubes and the milk makes you sleep too.

Can you hurt yourself coughing - oh yes! I cracked a rib coughing when I was pregnant and also burst a blood vessel in my eye from sneezing violently so take care! Just another point worth mentioning is coughs that last a while might actually be allergies to something new you've got at home such as air freshner, hairspray, cleaning sprays etc so worth avoiding spraying things in the bedroom as the spray lingering can set you off coughing.

• A
    Beginner August 2003
    A.. ·
    • Hide content

I hope you have a better doctor than me. I have had a cough for 6 weeks and so went this morning. When I cough, I cannot breathe after. Lots of spit also comes up (sorry TMI). At the weekend I was in bed by 8pm and even an extra couple of hours in the afternoon.

My doctor listened to chest and made me blow into the tube thing. Said all okay, its viral, so tough! I got a ventalin to use if need be.

Its now wonder I dont bother to go sooner.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics