Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner July 2003

Curtain poles and noisy neighbours

Fimble, 8 of July of 2008 at 12:11 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

We have a bay window with a metal curtain pole and metal curtain rings on it - the curtains are lined and fairly heavy. It makes a really load scraping noise when you draw the curtains. Its even really loud next door (I've been round there while my husband drew them at home and it made me jump - it would wake a baby).

This was all inherited from when we bought the house, but the curtains happen to match our furniture perfectly, and would be too short if we hung them from a track.

Has anyone encounted a bay window curtain pole made of something quieter? Has anyone got a metal curtain pole with wooden rings - is it quieter and does it look odd?

We have got to do something as they are just TOO noisy but it seems such a waste to get new curtains with a track, when the current ones are right otherwise (and they are Laura Ashley so wouldn't have been cheap).

Sorry its rather boring and thanks for any help.

8 replies

Latest activity by Richard, 28 of November of 2023 at 15:40
  • Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't you replace the track and the rings with wood instead of metal?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Our metal poles are noisy when we shut them but they don't wake MissSun and that's from the next bedroom.

Surely it's seconds worth of noise - is it worth changing the poles/rings just for that?

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

We've got a metal pole with metal rings, but the rings are lined with plastic so it doesn't make a noise. I think it was from TJ Hughes, wasn't expensive at all.

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content

Can you stick some fabric to the inside of the metal rings? Maybe just some tape would do?

• F
    Beginner July 2003
    Fimble ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all

CBH, I can't find a wooden bay window pole - I suspect they don't exist (because a curved pole would have to be carved from a big bit of wood so would be v expensive - you can get ones that are wood and metal but they look a bit funny to me), but that would have been my first choice.

Sunset, it really is embarassingly noisy. A man walking past the other night jumped and looked around when I drew the curtains - that means he heard it from through the double glazing and down the drive and front garden.

Forgotten who else replied (I wish we could see posts while replying!) but thanks for the TJ Hughes rec - I will look for plastic lined rings, didn't know you could get them.

I thought about tape but it would be very fiddly and I think make them snag more...

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Someone else suggested fabric. You could use felt in the same colour as the rings, it'd be a little fiddly but worth it. Alternatively, couldn't you just use wooden rings and spray themto look like metal? The only bay poles I've seen are either wrought iron or brushed chrome, you could easily find a spray paint that would match those.

x

• H
    HappyRedFlowers11196 ·
    • Hide content

We had the same issue when we moved into our home. We found that changing the rings to nylon lined curtain rings in our bay window curtain poles did the trick. They helped the curtains pull round the bay and no more scraping noise.

Hope this helps.

• B
    Brian-Mcculloch-Glasgow ·
    • Hide content

Replacing the metal rod with a wooden one would surely do the trick and reduce the irritating noise as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics