Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Littlemy
Dedicated April 2022 Kent

Cutting the cake?

Littlemy, 2 of October of 2021 at 17:18 Posted on Planning 0 14
We are having wedding cake but I'm not really keen on having cutting it made into a thing. I think cake cutting photos can look a bit outdated, but is it odd for it to be on display the whisked away by the staff for cutting?

14 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 7 of October of 2021 at 09:33
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Not at all, no one will notice that you did not cut it, no one will notice that it was there and then it wasn't. Quite often I see that the cake moved around anyway from the wedding breakfast room and then gets moved to the evening reception room and mostly it gets cut just before the first dance.

You may get pressure from older guests so perhaps just cut it for them and but don't get the DJ to announce it and it will be over in 10 seconds.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Totally agree with above x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    You could always have a fake one and have little cakes for the guests maybe thats a stupid idea 👎
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

I mean, I don’t think no one will notice that it is there one minute and gone the next... but I don’t think anyone will make a big deal that someone takes it away and cuts it instead of you guys doing it! For us, cutting the cake is a thing because our cake is a centrepiece and kind of a statement about us. On the flip side, we aren’t having a first dance. I don’t expect anyone to make a big deal about us not holding that tradition.

• John
    Beginner July 2022 East Central London
    John ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be fine. I tend to agree with you on the "cutting the cake" photos and whole ceremony to be a little much and antiquated.

• Melissab
    Dedicated June 2022 Surrey
    Melissab ·
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t worry about it at all. No one will notice and you don’t have to stick with traditions. I’m not throwing my bouquet and our ‘cake’ will actually be a few tiers of cheese wheels that people will cut into themselves in the evening. We won’t be doing the whole cake cutting thing
  • Littlemy
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hadn't even considered throwing my bouquet. I conceded a first dance at that was about it. I love the cheese idea, you will have very happy guests!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Not odd at all, you do you, sure no one will notice!
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually throwing the bouquet is a tradition that I do not see very often but it is one that I would like to see more of and less of cutting the cake and signing the registrar ( which has just changed ) although the shot is still asked for.

Throwing the bouquet is actually a fun shot to do, the tradition behind it is that the person that catches it will be the next to get married. Sometimes I I have had a struggle gathering catch volunteers as I hear the reply "Im already married but that part of it can be ignored and just gather your mates for a fun shot.

It has come up on here in the past that you may be reluctant to throw it and damage it, some have even had an extra one made just for throwing which will probably be in a better condition than the main one even after being thrown -- take it from me by the time in the evening when it is done the poor thing will be on its last legs anyway and any damage will not be noticed - unless one hell of a fight breaks out over catching it.

PS - imitation flower ones are difficult to throw as they are too light

Cutting the cake? 1

• Littlemy
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats a great photo
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOATHE bouquet tosses - for one, it's rooted in the old-fashioned idea that a woman's main (or only) goal in life should be to get married. And it can also make single-and-wishing-they-weren't girls feel really uncomfortable. If you have to have one or the other, I'd go for the cake cutting every time.

Although personally, as long as I get to eat some of the cake, I couldn't care how, when or where it is cut Smiley laugh

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Interesting angle on it. Yes there are many wedding traditions that have their origins in practices that we do not accept these days, take the engagement ring - it has its roots of it being a sign of ownership.

Cutting the cake which you prefer has even more awkward origins to do with the bride loosing her virginity, throwing confetti - originally grains - symbolising fertility to the couple.

Maybe we could start a new tradition - how about a cake toss - that would make for some interesting shots Smiley xd

• Lauren
    Curious April 2022 Kent
    Lauren ·
    • Hide content
    I work in a hotel where we do weddings. Many people cut into the cake and then us staff take it away and slice it all up for the guests
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed, just about everything in a modern wedding has it's roots in some fairly unpleasant origins, but most of them are no longer overt - e.g. I don't know anyone who would comment 'nice engagement ring - I see you're owned by Mr x now' but I've heard people openly speculate on the marital chances/physical appearance of single girls during a bouquet toss and it makes me cringe every time.

Cake toss? Hmmm...scrambling to be first to grab a huge chunk of cake...now that's a tradition I could get behind Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics