Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2023 Kent

Dad refusing to come to wedding without his new girlfriend.

Sophie, 29 of November of 2022 at 12:10 Posted on Planning 1 3
I am completely beside myself. The last few years I have become very close to my dad and his ex partner. My daughter calls my dads ex partner nanny and I love her like my own mum. My dad recently broke up with her and very soon after met another woman. I explained to my dad that his ex will still be invited to the wedding. She has been in my life for nearly 20 years. I also told my dad that his new girlfriend won’t be invited. She seems to control everything he does and even hated the fact he was in Greece for my brothers wedding and asked him to fly home early. I haven’t met her hence why I am not inviting her as well as the fact I don’t want her there anyway. Dad has since said that if she’s not invited he won’t come. I don’t know what to do. Who will walk me down the aisle? I just need some advice and someone to tell me it will be okay.

3 replies

Latest activity by HorecaHak, 3 of December of 2022 at 06:05
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending you a huge cyber-hug - what a horrible thing to have to deal with.

I am so, so sorry you are going through this. I think what you need to hold on to is that this is NOT your problem. Your father is the one who has chosen to throw a spiteful tantrum to try to get his own way. Please don't give in to him. I know it's really hard, but to be blunt, if he is selfish enough to present you with this kind of ultimatum, then he's not really the best person to be giving you emotional support on such an important day anyway. It is totally reasonable and understandable not to want a very new girlfriend that you don't even know at your wedding. Quite apart from how painful it would be for his ex.

As for who will walk you down the aisle - who else are you close to? It doesn't have to be your father - it can be any close relative or friend - whoever you feel will be a really supportive and calming presence for you. Or, if you feel that asking anyone else will just highlight your father's poor behaviour, then you could walk down with your fiance. We did this when we got married (actually because Covid regs meant no one else could be within 2 metres of me at the time, but I was actually really glad we did it that way. It felt so right) and it worked out really well. You could always meet your OH at the entrance if you want to have that 'first look' moment.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

How awful to put you in this position, and not the way a father should behave. This is your day, and you are within your rights to invite who you want. Your father is being incredibly selfish, this lady has never met you or your family so why on earth would you want her at your day, and potentially causing a scene with your father's ex, who as you say, has been a huge part of your life. As RGS said, this is not your problem, he has put you in this position and you must not give in as you will then spend the whole-time from now up to the wedding stressing. Try and speak to him to explain it is nothing against her, but he needs to respect it is your day and you don't want any negativity or people who you don't know at your wedding. Personally, I wouldn't, but if you feel you need to offer a compromise, can she come to the evening? My worry here though would be how it would make the ex-feel, and you consider her feelings above this other woman.

How long until your wedding? Would you maybe reconsider nearer the time, as this is a new situation so you may have met her by then and the dust settles a bit more on the split, or it may be irrelevant as they could have split by then. That said, if you are sure, you don't want her there, forget that and you do you, is your day. Is such a hard decision, but you must not back down, stick to your guns. You may have to accept that your Dad won't come, which is heartbreaking to realise he is putting her before you, but as hard as it may be, your feelings on your day come first and if he can't respect that then you are better off without him being there, but i suspect he may change is mind nearer the time if you stick to your stance and say no. I wish you all the best, keep your chin up and have a large glass of wine XX

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    This must be hard for you . you know your dad is in a new relationship but like you said you don't know this woman so you have every right to not want to invite her I think you dad saying he is not coming is horrible on his part not yours stick to what you want he may come round if not it's his loss would you have someone who is close to you to give you away if your dad didn't come X♥️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics