Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner August 2014

Dealing with people not liking the set menu

thewanderingwebster, 8 of August of 2014 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 13

So I'll try and keep this short.

There are 30 of us and originally we were having an area in a restaurant. I had the menu and everyone had a choice of 4 starters, main and puds. I got everyone's choices back.

However, we've found out that the restaurant will be very busy and the adjoining bar area more so with football fans. Because of this we've moved to a small function room. This has its own small kitchen and therefore it is a set menu only. One meat and one vegetarian option. The majority of people have said the change is fine. One person has decided to tell me what they don't like about the new menu and what bits of the menu their child won't eat.

The same person has also said they won't travel with the rest of us which I'm a bit disappointed about.

I don't really want to go back to the venue and ask them for a different meal for one child. I've made that many changes that even I'm losing track and the wedding is in two weeks.

13 replies

Latest activity by Aykay, 10 of August of 2014 at 23:10
  • bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a set menu, we're paying so it's tough if they don't like it!

• Lizzywills
    Beginner August 2014
    Lizzywills ·
    • Hide content

I've got 106 people who all don't know what they're getting until it's put in from of them! I'm expecting some moans but I won't be listening lol

maybe suggest that the parents of the child bring a sandwich and a couple of snacks to fill the hole in the belly that won't be filled by the bits of the meal the child won't like!

and don't worry too much,

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    caromb ·
    • Hide content

My guests have no idea what they will be eating - if they don't like it, then they can have the veggie option, if they don't like that they can have a kids meal...

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

Have you told your guests what they'll be eating?

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't intending to tell anyone what the meal is! We'll establish before hand if anyone has anything they're allergic to and beyond that, tough. The only guest's who'll get to choose will be the children, as we're only having 2 (flower girl and usher) so I will liaise with their parents to make sure it's something they'd both eat, but other than that people can get on with it! They'll be a BBQ in the evening so it's not as if they'll starve

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

As a mother to a toddler, I am a fan of 'if they are hungry, they will eat it', I cant stand fussyness!!

If they start dying of starvation they can sneak off to maccy d's or bring their own sarnies. With two weeks to go you dont need to be running around trying to sort this out or stressing over it.

Just carry on with your plan. At least they know what is coming and can prepare themselves accordingly.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

We have 3 main choices and 2 desert choices and still my brother sent me a foul mouthed email about it. I was shocked, we tried out hardest to please everyone!

I rose above it and told him that they are the choices, pick one or don't eat.

Hes now saying he likes the food on our menu.

Its a free meal for your guests. If they don't want to eat it then they can eat before hand.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

This is why we are having our wedding breakfast at Pizza Express, everyone is picking their own meal so I don't expect to hear any moaning!!

At my first wedding I had a fixed menu but the venue were quite accommodating, there was a pregnant lady who couldn't have the cheese, and a dairy intolerance friend who couldn't have the set dessert etc, they didn't mind doing a few odd meals.

I went to a wedding recently where it was a fixed menu, but when they brought it out there was egg in the main course (I am allergic), I ended up having sausage and smiley faces from the kids menu as that was all they had left, it was great! ?

My point is that most venues seem to be quite flexible, that said as you are paying for it they really should just shut up and eat it!

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    thewanderingwebster ·
    • Hide content

There are 8 children in total at our wedding, two of which are ours. We chose the roast chicken for the kids as we thought it was a better meal than pasta and tomato sauce (too messy!) or pizza which I knew a few of the kids didn't like.

This meal is at lunchtime, then it's back to our house where we will have a buffet in the evening of sandwiches, sushi, crisps etc so they'll be plenty to eat.

The venue has been really flexible, they've let us change numbers and move rooms for a start, given us a discount and already changed the kids menu from pizza or pasta to a roast.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Tell them it's a real shame and perhaps they can join you after the meal?

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    clarabellboo ·
    • Hide content

Stuff like this really annoys me.

We decided not to tell our guests our menu either but stupidly, when explaining to one of my friends that we weren't going to tell people the menu beforehand so people wouldn't be able to complain, I told her and the first thing she said, 'oh, I don't know if I like that.' Turns out it's something she's never even tried but she started telling me how she was sure she wouldn't like it, I just told her to give it to someone else then. We will have around 120 guests so while we've tried our best to choose a menu that as many people as possible will like, it would be impossible to please everyone.

I would just ignore that she's even said anything to you about it and just serve the menu you've chosen.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Just write back and tell the guest that the venue say it's fine for her to bring sandwiches for the child to eat as you explained he has special dietary requirements! You will ensure he's not given a meal.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I don't understand why people have to be so awkward. Plus l struggle to cope with fussy eaters. I personally would do nothing, if they won't eat the food provided then they will have to bring their own.

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

My kids are vegetarian and one is annoyingly fussy. ...if we were guests I would make sure there was either somewherr nearby to nip out to later or bring some sarnies with us. I would absolutely not complain or expect special treatment. For our wedding I ensured that meat eaters were catered for ...I am veggie so to me the meat eaters are the odd ones lol... and I made sure all allergies were passed to the venue to accommodate. If anyone moaned about the menu I would have suggested they eat first and hold out for the evening buffet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics