Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner

Did you throw an Engagement Party?

BrideToBe<3, 28 December, 2011 at 17:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 33

My Fiance proposed at the beginning of October Smiley smile Both of our families were over the moon, as were we and we decided to celebrate by throwing an engagement party!

We wanted to leave it until after Christmas so our families would be less busy and we had more money!

I'm just wondering did you have an engagement party? If you did, how long did you leave between your engagement and party?

Any tips are welcome toooo ❤️

33 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 31 December, 2011 at 13:27
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

We didn't, we wanted to save money for the wedding rather than have to save for a few extra months. We were married within a year from our engagement anyway, so seemed pretty pointles really.

Are you planning on having a long engagement?

• B
    Beginner
    BrideToBe<3 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your reply!

We are planning on being engaged for around two years, do you think you would have thrown a party if this was the case for you?

xx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

We were engaged 2 years and had an engagement party about 2 months after we were engaged.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I probably would have done something to celebrate and to get all of our friends and families together, yes.

What do you have in a mind? Hiring a room at a social club/hotel etc?

If you post on the Wedding Planning section there will no doubt be some brides who will be able to help. I'm not much use to you am I? ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I went out for a meal with my friends and family 4 months after we announced our engagement

• B
    Beginner
    BrideToBe<3 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone!

Yes, we were thinking of hiring a social club or hall, and decorating it to our tastes instead of hiring a lovely venue for £££!

hha! I now know where to post, but thank you for all of your replies (:

New to this site, but Smiley heart it already!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

You're more than welcome. Good luck with your party and wedding!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

No we didn't, but we did go down the pub for drinks with friends.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We were engaged for 10 months, and had our engagement party about a month after we got engaged. We just booked an area in a bar and got everyone on the guestlist. We had the best man and the bridesmaids round to our flat for bubbly beforehand, then met up with everyone in the bar. Not massively expensive for us and it was a great night!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

No we didnt. Waste of money imo.

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Oo yeah!! We were engaged for 4 months b4 the party. We had a BBQ at home only with imm family and closest friends but this still ended up being over 40 peps and we have a tiny tiny garden. Everyone loved it and bought a bottle so didn't cost us to much.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

No we didn't. Had a nice dinner with each sets of parents and saw some friends in person for a little cheeky drink but no party as such. Most friends and family are a) scattered all over the country (and world) and b) lead such busy lives that we didn't really feel it was practical to have one in the end, I'd rather people saved their pennies to attend the actual wedding. Had quite a few engagement cards and gifts even without a party though.

• B
    Beginner
    BrideToBe<3 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

(:

xx

• B
    Beginner
    BrideToBe<3 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Smiley smile

xx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We had our engagement party about a month after the engagement but we had it at home with close friends and family so not too expensive but with loads of platters of food, drink and a fab cake.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We had a joint engagement/housewarming party, plus it was my birthday, so we thought we might as well do SOMETHING to celebrate haha.

We didn't do anything formal or expensive though. At the time we thought we'd be engaged for about 20 months, but as it turned out we got married after 10 months. Our families didn't even attend the engagement party, it was more of a house party for our friends. People brought their own booze (although we did buy some beer and wine) and I bought a cake and party snacks.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

We had a party in the social club where i work 3 weeks into our engagement but mainly due to OHs dad being terminally ill and he wouldnt see us marry ☹️

• A
    Andersonmac ·
    • Hide content

We went out on tour with friends.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have an engagement party. We got engaged on xmas day and then on the 27th we were staying at a cottage with some friends for the week so we celebrated then ? I did buy some sky lanterns which we set off. It was beautiful to do so as we were in the middle of nowhere and you could see them for miles Smiley smile

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged on Christmas Day last year so that was sort of a double celebration. We went out after Christmas for a meal and to a few bars and clubs with our friends to celebrate with them too, but no party. Seemed like a waste of money.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you a rock star?

• vebec19862
    Beginner June 2012
    vebec19862 ·
    • Hide content

We have been engaged for 2 years, still 6 months to go. we didnt have an engagement party mainly because everyone said oh the wedding is ages away so we didnt think it was worth it. tbh not sure i know many people who have had one but if you want one then i say have one x

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

No I didn't have one, didn't see the point (no offence meant to those of you who had one). Don't really like going to them either. I think so what, you're planning a wedding, that's nice. I'll celebrate with you when you actually do get married!! I know a lot of people who have had engagement parties or had their children's christening parties just for the sake of a party and presents. **Disclaimer I am not accusing everyone who has a party of doing it for those reasons**

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Nope we didn't have one. The thought didn't even occur to me to be honest.

• B
    Beginner
    BrideToBe<3 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone!

We have decided to throw a small party and hearing about others parties has given us great ideas (:

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lots of places do free rooms if you take a certain amount in drinks, so it doesn't have to be expensive Smiley smile we used it as an opportunity to introduce our families and groups of friends, as none of them had met properly or spent much time together before. We got engaged last Christmas and had the party in Feb.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We used a room in our local pub and invited people to drop in if they wanted to. Very informal. Cost us a few hundred quid for the bar tab but low key and fun. I'm not a fan generally of engagement parties so this was a nice compromise.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

It was Mr C's 30th a month or so after we got engaged and so people congratulated us there. We didn't really feel the need for one tbh.

I have been to a few engagment parties in my time and will take a card (if I haven't already posted one to their house) but not generally a gift. I would wait until the wedding for that.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I feel hard done by- we diddnt get a single pressie! Of course thats the only reason we had one ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged a few days before my 30th and as I was already having a gathering for my birthday, we ended up with a joint 30th/engagement party. Sadly, as it snowed badly that year we had to postpone and it meant that some people couldn't come to it in the end.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Abi your cake was lovely! And the smarties one looked pretty tasty too.. mmm.

We had a BBQ at home, had a marquee in the garden and had about 40 people here, all friends, (we had had a family meal straight after we got back from Egypt where the proposal took place) it was very informal and lots of fun and about a month after we got engaged.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

No we never planned on having one but my wonderful cousin who is more like a sister invited us to hers for a mexican food night and it was a little surprise party! Nicest thing anyone has done for us xxxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics