Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Panjita
Beginner May 2011

Different Areas - Different names for things

Panjita, 9 November, 2011 at 16:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 82

Another follow on thread!

Someone I used to see form Leeds called a stool a buffett.

I laughed till I cried (easily amused) when I heard my H call a forward roll a gambole! Never heard it before!

Anyone else?

82 replies

Latest activity by Naboo, 13 November, 2011 at 20:50
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is called a gambole!

I shall have a think...

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

The one which always gets my H laughing is "Pikelets" instead of "Crumpets" - he now uses the word in a mock-type-facinated-exaggerated way whenever we are in the bread aisle.

Something else which has recently facinated me is a "Parmesean" - to me this is just a type of cheese but Oh no, not in N.Yorks - it's a chicken based dish in which a flattened chicken breast is topped with cheese and whatever other toppings you may fancy. I never, ever heard of this before now!?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I refer to the "fishy" not the "chippy" and up north its "scraps" in the midlands they are known as "battered bits", much prefer scraps!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

What about sayings to: I always say "you cant fall off" meaning your getting a good deal, people look at me like Im mad when I say it to my Midland friends!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I always call crumpets pikelets. But aren't pikelets a much thinner version of a crumpet?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

We also say "pump" instead of "fart"

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

HatTrick - I think Pikelets are more of what i'd call an American pankcake?

All very confussing.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Ive heard a bread roll being called a bap, a cob and a hoagie!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Piklets are like small pancakes aren't they? Crumpets are holly things you put in the toaster.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bap and cob yes. Hoagie... no.

It seems I am guilty of most of these!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

After moving to the midlands for university (from Essex) I noticed that a roll (as in a ham roll, cheese roll etc) suddenly became a "cob"

My partner also calls a gherkin a "wolly" we're from the same area, so I don't know if that's an area thing or a "him being strange" thing.

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

My best friend is from leeds, and we have lots of converstations along these lines....

I say "alley" or "passage" to refer to the little walkway by the side of my house, she say "ginnel" or "cutting"

I say "bun" she says "cob"

And, one of our favourites... her fella is from Norwich and calls ladybirds "BishyBarnabies" and snails "doddermans"

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

A piece instead of a sandwich

ham instead of bacon

all the ones i can think of are food related lol

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Gambol! Without an "e" though.

Pikelets are made of the same holey dough as crumpets, but they are flatter and therefore crispier when toasted (but nicer, less stodgy).

I grew up with batches, then baps, now I eat barm cakes.

Boy is a rich source (Yorkshire) of bizarre terms; corsey edge (kerb), ginnel (alleyway, although not a paved one), kali (pronounced kay-lie, a sugar/sherbet confectionery). I once bought him a Yorkshire:English dictionary.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I remember saying 'He looked at me gone out' to my geordie mate and he hadn't got a clue what it meant.

'Mardy' as well is a word I think is used more up north than it is down south

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Boy says mardy, I say titty-la-la.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

'Barm cakes' never ceases to amaze me. They're baps! Plain old baps, maybe a bread bun, but mostly a bap.

Not quite the same, but I got really excited when at uni in London and someone told me that Asda sold oatcakes. So I raced over there only to find that their 'oatcakes' were these naff little Scottish biscuit/cracker things. NOT PROPER OATCAKES!

Also, has anyone come across the word 'mither' before (meaning to harass or nag someone)? I thought it was a proper English word but then someone told me it's a Stokie colloquialism!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very very overused in Manc-land.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We say "pwdi" (pronounced poo-dee) to mean being in a bad mood. It's a Welsh word, but all non-Welsh speaking people I know in this area would say it.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Kali round here means drunk, a snicket is an alleyway/cut through, we have baps, barm cakes, bread cobs and rolls, snap is a snack/lunch, we have breakfast, dinner and tea (at home its breakfast, lunch dinner) I have loads lol

(currently living in a village just inside North Notts (border is the river 100 yds from my house) near South Yorkshire, with an OH from Sheffield having grown up in London and North Kent)

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think its an adapted American thingy as thats what they call Chicken Parmesan (or chicken parm in the bronx lol)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Confirmed. I have never used anything other than 'mither' to describe bothering someone.

My mum is from yorkshire, my dad's family is scottish, both of them have lived in Manc their entire lives... as you can imagine I have lots of strange words that I don't dare use in front of anyone.

It is ginnel, piklet and baps for me. But my mum made weird stuff up so the remote control is 'the button box' and that horrible boil in the bag fish was called 'wuzzle fish'. Maybe this is a thread all of its own...

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely barm cakes. Fact!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Just thought of another - chuffing as a polite substitute for f*cking - for example chuffing hell

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha that's trumping/farting!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, I don't think I have any.

Crumpets are just that, pikelets are a flatter version, similar but different so warrant their own name.

As for rolls, I'd immediately call the crusty ones rolls but the soft, flourly ones rolls or baps (which still makes me snigger because I'm a child).

I'd refer to an alleyway or a path or potentially a cut-through, if that was it's purpose.

I'd say bother instead of mither.

We have breakfast, lunch and dinner, though on a Sunday we'd have a late lunch and then a supper.

For mardy, probably grumpy or moody.

• kathryn2010
    Beginner September 2015
    kathryn2010 ·
    • Hide content

idk know what weird saying we av that many lol i know my mate from wales says steaming and that means drunk but it means sumthink else up here in liverpool so i wasnt 2 pleased when she was shouting all over lpool city that she was steaming!!!!!
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Again with the crumpets, H calls them pikelets. Never even heard of the word!

Bread bun has different sayings round here. To me its a bun or roll, but theres also a bap and cob.

Nesh = cold

Gander or neb = to have a 'look'

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Well, I'm a bit of a mix up as I have northern parents but grew up in the south.

I was brought up with words like ginnell and my gran always used to insist on 'oven bottom baps' I think they were big soft floury ones - bread rolls that is not ❤️❤️

I always used to call my pe shoes daps but I think it is more common down south to call them plimsoles.

Agree that a crumpet is just a thick pikelet.

Mardy bum/ Marda$$ are both used as is mither.

OH tells me i'm nesh, he had to explain that it meant I was a pathetic person who feels the cold easily - well according to him anyhow.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup that or someone who is "soft"

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

My Dad whos a mid-lander calls people a "pap" if they cry easily or are a bit wet.

I was always told I was "mardy" when I was little as well.

• A
    Beginner June 2011
    Anne! ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Cumbria originally, ganyem? is are you/we going home?, marra is mate/friend, and soft bread rolls are teacakes!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics