Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AnnaBanana
Beginner July 2007

Different chopping boards for meat & veg?

AnnaBanana, 29 of July of 2009 at 10:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

One for the scientists - is it really necessary to use different chopping boards to avoid cross contamination? I do, mainly because when I was a student I was working in a restaurant and it was part of the health and safety training to use separate ones, and coincidentally I ended up buying a pack of pastic chopping boards from Ikea. Ever since i've kept doing it. However on TV, chefs seem to use big wooden chopping boards and just give them a wipe between uses of meat/veg. i'd love to use a wooden one and no more. My gran has had the same wooden butchers block type thing for 30 years and she seems fine!

whats the truth with this one?

TIA!

16 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 5 of August of 2016 at 21:06
  • Spamboule
    Beginner October 2008
    Spamboule ·
    • Hide content

I'm no scientist but my H is.

We have a big wooden chopping board that stays on the work surface in the kitchen. If I am cutting meat (which actually doens't happen that often) then I use a plastic chopping board to avoid cross contamination. The plastic board goes in the dishwasher, the wooden one gets a wipe down after each use, and occasionally I oil it as well

• lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea what the "truth" is, but I use both. Big wooden one gets wiped over and used again, or with plastic ones (our's are also from Ikea!) I just turn them over. However I normally cut all my veg/fruit up first and then do the meat, so I don't think it really matters.

• anjumanji
    anjumanji ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about the science behind it, but I do use two chopping boards. I have a large wood one which I use for all my meat and any veg which will be cooked and smelly stuff like garlic and onion. I have another board which I use for fruits, salad stuff and other veg to be eaten raw. Both get washed with hot soapy water. I also have a plastic one which goes in the dishwasher and I will use it for both meat and veg if the other two need washing.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

We have a range of chopping boards, one wood, a couple of plastic ones, but use which ever one is handy. THey always get a good scrub in v hot water after use, and it's not been a problem so far.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Like you, I bought a three pack of plastic chopping boards, which are pastel pink, green and blue. I use the pink for raw meat, green for veg and blue for fish/sometimes extra veg. I slice bread on the wooden one. I'm not sure if I need to or not but it's just become habit. ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I have one wooden one. I wash it if I have chopped meat on it and am going to chop veg that's going tto be served raw. I'm quite happy to cut, say, chicken followed by veg if the veg is going to be cooked with the chicken as I reckon the bacteria are going to end up on the veg (and being boiled to death) anyway.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

WSophieMS

One wooden one here. Sometimes I just flip it over between meat and veg for the same meal.

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

I have one glass one. It gets washed if i'm doing meat then veg, but then as someone else put i do the veg first and then the meat. H hates the noise it makes though when you cut as with it being glass it's quite noisy. I never thought about having a different chopping board for meat tbh, it's not something we did either when i lived at home

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

I have three boards - 2 of which are plastic, and one is a big wooden one that stays out permanently on my worktop.

The wooden one is used for fruit, veg, salad, etc. One plastic one is for raw meat that gets put in the dishwasher. One is for garlic and onion because I find if I use the wooden one for either of those things then the fruit I chop the next day tastes of garlic - so more a odour thing than a hygiene thing really.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

WSophieS, although I do also have a small plastic one which I use if I can't be bothered to keep washing the wooden one.

I wouldn't just wipe a wooden board after cutting eg raw chicken on it- I think that just moves the germs around a bit. I give it a proper wash with soap and v hot water.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

We have one plastic one. If I am making a casserole, I may chop meat and veg on the same side, wihtout washing it. I am figuring if they are all about to be cooked together, what harm is it doing? (Cue someone telling me I am going to be dead within a week from this ?).

Mostly, I flip it.

If I cut chicken I definitely do the quick wipe, not necessarily a proper wash. We're doomed

L
    xx

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

The important thing is not to use a board for raw meat and then use it for vegetables that aren't going to be cooked without washing in between.

If you're in a commercial kitchen it's worth having separate boards so you can't ever do this by accident but at home it's not essential unless you're absent minded and as long as you wash in hot soapy water in between.

Incidentally I'm not a fan of just turning the board over as they do on cookery shows because then you smear whatever bacteria were on the top of the board all over your work surfaces.

Now. Shall we cover washing chickens now or later? ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

<collects gold star>

I was actually going to say about smearing the bacteria everywhere when you turn the board over but didn't want to come across as too clever by half ?

• Soobo
    Soobo ·
    • Hide content

I just have one wooden board which get used for everything. I wash it with hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush after I use it. If I'm doing meat and veg that is all going into the same pot I don't wash it between stuff, but would if I was going to then cut fruit or salad.

I don't turn it over either, would make the kitchen top mucky

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

*slaps own wrists*

Must stop doing the flippy thing then. I do wash all my surfaces properly after, but I guess its a habit I shouldn't get into.

• H
    HappyBlueCars579 ·
    • Hide content

yes..i also have 2 chopping boards - wooden and plastic. The traditional wooden is good for cutting vegetables particularly bell pepper, celery or even cabbage .while platic cutting board is used for meat as it is easy to clean

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I also have one i only use for meat and a different colour for bread/veg.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics