Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2022 West London

Difficult father & bridesmaid... Help!

Sejal, 15 of November of 2022 at 09:29 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 13

Hello,

Our wedding is only 5 weeks away and we are having issues with my dad, stepmum and sister...

My fiance originally had 5 bridesmaids - her sisters and best friends - and didn't want a football team of bridesmaids, so she was hesitant to ask my sisters and cousins, although she did want them involved. My dad then got in touch telling us how hurt my sisters were that they weren't asked to bridesmaids (although there's no rule that says the groom's sisters MUST be involved). But my fiance being the caring person she is went and included them as bridesmaids, taking her total to 9 bridesmaids, to my mere 5 groomsmen. But it was fine. We were wiling to make it work.

My fiance went and bought all the dresses, as she already knew what dresses she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. Every bridesmaid was gracious and excited except my elder sister. She went to America for work, so after giving the dress to the younger sister, which she loved, we then FaceTimed the other sister to show her the dress and then sent it to the States.

A month goes by and we haven't heard from the sister in America so I texted her asking if she had received the dress. She replied saying that she tried it on, didn't like how it fit, and just sent it back to my dad & stepmum in the UK. All this, without the courtesy of telling us, either via FaceTime or a picture message - just let the bride and groom see what the dress looks like on.

So now my fiance and I are sat there wondering what's going on... does this mean she will wear the dress or not? She's asking us if there's another dress and if all the bridesmaids are happy wearing it etc. We explain that everyone else is happy and that this is the bride's choice. My sister may not like it, but it'snot her day, which she and my dad and stepmum don't seem to grasp, because they're then calling me telling me that we can't pick people's fashion, she has her own style etc etc... all things that he weren't saying when my other sister happily took the dress.I would've thought he would be talking to her to say "it's your brother's big day. Just wear it for a few hours. After the pictures you can change." But no... he wants it to be all about the sister.

So a few weeks go by and we STILL haven't heard anything. We message to say you can have the dress altered to fit you better, but will you wear it? She replies saying that she sent the dress back to the UK and she won't be back in the UK until just a few days before the wedding, so she can't decide until then. My fiance and I can't be waiting until just before the wedding to know what our wedding party will look like. Are we being unreasonable? All we want to know is will you wear the dress or not? Don't leave us hanging! My dad then calls me raging down the phone "The dress is here! Nothing can be done until she's back!" - Now to me, that doesn't give me an answer. Does that mean that she will wear the dress and have it altered? Or does that mean that she'll decide when she's back? Either way, his comments does not give any clarity.

Last night, after a week of silence from them both, I texted my sister saying that we've waited long enough. We're talking to photographers etc and this is our day, not hers, so we can't be waiting around for you, so we'll proceed without you as bridesmaid... they flew off the handle. My sister had apparently left it to my dad to sort out the situation. All she had to do was give us a yes or no answer. My dad didn't sort the situation. All he said was "the dress is here and nothing can be done until she's back." That to me, is not a yes or no answer. But it seems like they want us to beat to their drum on our wedding day when we have tonnes of other things to worry about. Our wedding is only 5 weeks away and somehow it's all about them. My dad has been difficult during this whole wedding process. Doing things like trying to invite 20 of his own guests (who I don't know when we're already tight for numbers), doing our food tasting for us by going to the restaurant before us and then giving his opinion, and insisiting on what his role is in the wedding... he's always been difficult in my life, but he's gone into narcissistic mode and my sister seems to have picked up this trait.

My fiance had a full-on panic attack last night and no longer wants them involved at all. We've tried to be accommodating and include them and feels like they've just been difficult and selfish, making us bend over backwards for them. My dad has not asked how the wedding is going etc. All he wants to know is "Have you got the invites for my guests?" Are we missing something?

13 replies

Latest activity by Sejal, 21 of November of 2022 at 17:11
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Are your parents paying for the wedding? Or are they from a culture where it is expected that the parents organise/control the wedding?

If they are paying, then it's going to be difficult for you to do anything - while one always hopes that a parent who offers money toward a wedding offers it as a gift, with no strings attached, the reality is that many parents who gift money do it in the belief that it gives them the right to control what happens on the day.

If it is simply your father's culture/background that makes him believe he has the right to act this way, then you have to weigh up the stress that he is currently causing you by his actions and the stress that you will experience if you stand up to him. Difficult family relationships can get better over time if clear boundaries are set, but 5 weeks before the wedding is not a great time to start this process. You may find it less stressful to go ahead with what your father and sister are demanding and look to make changes in your relationship once the wedding is over.

I am so sorry that you are both experiencing so much stress at what should be a happy time. The right decision is what will work best for you and your fiancee. I wish you all the best in resolving this.

• S
    Sejal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi.

No my dad is not paying for anything. Nada! He is just a very egotistical person who wants to look good on OUR day and wants to show off in front of his friends.

I've tried explaining to him his errors but he is the sort of person that never acknowledges his wrongs and will flip it to make you feel like you've done something wrong.

Stressful indeed.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think he needs to get a grip and your sister does it's your wedding you have both paid for it totally understand if he was paying then he could have a say do what's best for you both don't let family change it believe me it's not worth it I know from experience x❤️
  • S
    Sejal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Michelle.

The problem is that he's so narcisstic that he fails to acknowledge his errors. In his mind he has done absolutely nothing wrong and thinks we should be working around him and his household, for OUR wedding.

My fiance's panic attack last night during the phone call was horrific. The worst she's had in years. She's understandably anxious and nervous about seeing them at the wedding in case it triggers her off. She doesn't want them as bridesmaids or my dad as a witness, and now I'm contemplating if I just tell them not to come to the wedding. It'll be a sad and difficult thing but not nearly as difficult as they have been during this wedding planning process.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think for you both it would be a good thing to not invite them or have a talk I don't talk to mine anymore mainly because I want to elope with partner and 3 children I'm 44 not 16 but this has caused arguments so we don't talk they didn't even tell me that my dad had a stroke a while ago but I think the best thing to do is try and talk to them if the talking doesn't help then you both know the best thing is to tell them they are not welcome either way you will fault out no matter what but stick to your heart do what works best for you both x❤️
  • E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    Wow, how rude of your sister and your father. A simple explanation as to what's happening with the dress and where it is is not to much to ask.....from reasonable people.
    I think they both sound very narssastic and rude! It's not their wedding day, it's about you and your wife declaring your love for eachother in front of people who love and support the union, this is literally one of the only days you can genuinely say its all about me and everyone should be in support of that. Life is too short to be around people who do not support you regardless of whether your related. I'd be tempted to cut them out of the wedding but you really do have to think about how that'll affect family dynamics in the future between your family and your wife. The same could also be said if you decide you want them there considering the caused a panic attack for your fiancé. Can the maid of honor intervene and be a buffer on the wedding day shielding her from your sisters nonsense and can your best man do the same with your father? I'm sorry it's caused such a rift on what should be a happy planning process.
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear, that is incredibly difficult. To be honest, based on how extremely rude and arrogant they've been, and how much distress they are causing to your fiancee, I'd be inclined to 'disinvite' them. The problems with that are that a) it sounds as if they'd probably turn up anyway and b) it will likely cause a major family fallout - although you have to ask how bad it would be to have relatives like this no longer speaking to you - it might be preferable to the alternative!

I would suggest one final attempt at a clear conversation - individually with father and sister. If that doesn't get anywhere, then I think you either have to exclude them from the wedding or let them come but try to provide a 'buffer' as Ebony has suggested.

• S
    Sejal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice & kinds words eveyone. My fiance and I have decided to not have them be part of the crucial wedding parts - my sisters will not be bridesmaids and my dad will no longer be one of our witnesses. They'll only be guests from a distance. We only want people around us who are there for us. Not people who are only concerned about themselves and causing us stress (and in my fiance's case, a severe panic attack).

Instead of my dad telling my sister to suck it up and wear the dress cos the day isn't about her, he's coming at my fiance and I as if we are the problem, because in his words "It's my job to look after my daughter's welfare"... well it's my job to look after my wife's welfare and I don't want her in any stress on her big day.

I'm secretly hoping that they'll be so annoyed and their egos will be so offended that they just won't turn up. Fingers crossed.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I do hope it works out for you both you should be both enjoying the planning not stressing over it X hopefully they will see they are in the wrong x❤️
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad you've managed to resolve this - and well done for putting your fiancee first. I've seen far too many couples where one partner puts the other through the mill rather than risk offending parents/siblings. Wishing you a very happy wedding day and future life together x

• R
    Beginner September 2023 South East London
    Robert ·
    • Hide content

It is both your big day...they are creating drama for no reason. Maybe after your wedding give the trouble makers a wide birth. Enjoy your day Smiley heart

• Georgina
    Curious August 2022 East London
    Georgina ·
    • Hide content
    I’m glad you’ve decided to have them at arms length on the day. It’s a huge day for you both and I think you’ve made the right decision. If your Dad and sister turn up on the big day and decide to be difficult - I would have a friend (or person in the family) you trust allocated to ask them to leave JUST in case they kick off. You know your family best so hopefully that won’t happen. Please enjoy the day and congrats to you both!!!
  • S
    Sejal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. Much appreciated.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics