Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Do the shades of white or ivory on bride and groom matter?

pandorasbox, 7 March, 2011 at 21:21 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all, just wondering as looking through my dress brochures and noticed all the couples are (obviously!) perfectly posed and matching in exact shades. I have been told ivory suits my skin tone better and so far all the ones I love seem to be ivory shades. OH doesn't seem to understand there are many shades of white and ivory, he is convinced he will just get a white shirt and royal blue tie. Is it usual to get swatches or something to match exactly? Or can a groom be in a stark or bright white shirt and not look horrible next to an ivory bridal dress? Will my dress shade mean his royal blue might look really strange if he has to get a more creamy shade of white? Thanks for your opinions.

21 replies

Latest activity by Alreadymarried , 8 March, 2011 at 20:34
  • PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

My dress is a pale ivory and OH is going to wear navy tails. He's having a white shirt and ivory cravat and waistcoat - we'll be a whole host of different shades! I don't think it'll be a problem at all hun

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I personally dont think it does matter.

Especially if one of you has a different skin tone to the other.

You can match in details instead - like he can wear a tie/cravatte in a colour that matches your theme.

Some people might think it matters though.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

As Jules says, it really doesn't make any difference and I always think, for a wedding, the Groom looks best in a white shirt. There are SO many variations of ivory, it is one of those colours that blends with everything - including white.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's noticable unless your looking for it. Personally it bothers me as I want everything to be perfect.

My dress is pure white so I have insisted the tablecloths are also white to match, same for cake icing, Mens shirts, flowergirl dresses, shoes, garter etc otherwise I would be concerned everyone else looks dirty when standing next to me.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks this is partly what I was wondering, if my dress would look odd next to other white shades as I think our linen etc will be pure white. But as others have said not to worry then I will forget about it - unless it looks really awful, then I will just make OH get ivory too!

• J
    Beginner October 2011
    jade12345 ·
    • Hide content

I've been wondering this aswell. my dress is ivory so ordered h2b ivory waistcoat and cravat but lady in suit hire shop automatically put him & rest of the men down for ivory shirts aswell?? should they have ivory or white shirts??

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on whether he is likely to keep his jacket on or not.

If there are pics with his arms around you etc and his white shirt is on your Ivory dress, it would be very obvious to me, but then I am very fussy over white being white etc in everyday life.

ETA: This picture demonstrates what I mean about looking dirty (I feel anyway):

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our suit hire place made this point to us. So im going to take one of their white & one of their ivory shirts out to my dress fitting at end of month to see what goes best.

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

Blimey. I have more important things to worry about than this... but then my groom is wearing a black shirt with his kilt so it's a bit of a moot point.

<dons flameproof jacket> No one is going to be going around on your wedding day checking that the shirts match the dress or the icing on the cake or that the bridemaids knickers match the pocket squares of the bridal party. Chill.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

@ Samsam - your so right, but I have to look at the pictures for the next 50 years and it's something that bugs me hugely.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

For a start men have no concept of 'shades' of the same colour. White, ivory, cream, champagne and off-white are all the same to them. And don't even think about asking them the difference between lilac and purple and aubergine!

Mind you I'm marrying a bloke who does colour matching professionally, so colours are all a combination of numbers to him. My favourite red is 'red 220/blue 5' apparently.

Shades don't really matter than much in the grand scheme of thing as far as white/ivory is concerned. Nobody will notice the difference, or if they do they won't think anything of it. I'd be more worried if I was trying to match shades of bright colours.

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case, getting the shades to match will help you relax so go for it. At least you know it's a bit crazy ?

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Snap! I want pictures I LOVE not pictures where I go 'sh*t I should have went for this or that'. I hate the thought of my beautiful gown looking dirty or OH shirt & waistcoat looking manky against my dress.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Completely WSS!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The things wedding planning makes you worry about! ?. Saying that I think this little obsession stems from my moms dislike of "washed out" dirty-lookng white shirts and how finikety she was about it when I was a kid.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

No, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! I'd be worried if anything like that matters to me on the day, or afterwards. There are much more important things I have to concern myself with!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I understand exactly! I just don't want to look at pics in the future and think how grubby looking the darker shades looked when next to pristine white! On the day I won't care but I think on photos it could be quite noticeable. Need to check once I have decided on a dress.

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

I suppose there does need to come a limit though... there IS no definitive colour that is white or ivory or cream (unless you ask the colour matching dude mentioned earlier) so there will always be subtle differences! And you can only control (maybe?!) what the bridal party wears but you can't repaint the venue and you can't (necessarily) dictate what the guests wear either...

As I said previously, my dress is a v pale ivory. It's not going to match either proper ivory OR white. I bought the dress because I loved it and because it seemed to love me not because of its colour. IMHO it's probably better to go for a *meh* kind of shrug and have a range of shades to blend with because the alternative is that there will always be at least someone or something that you will stand out like a sore thumb next to!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I seriously can't tell a difference between white and ivory, so for me- no.

I ordered my dress in ivory (without trying it on in that colour first - Although I did try on other ivory dresses by that designer) and when I received the swatch its pretty white! Suprisingly so really. In fact I'd struggle to imagine a whiter white (even though they did actually do a white version aswell).

I can't be bothered to faff with stuff like that, so mens shirts and stuff will be ordered as ivory as thats what my dress colour apparently is. (Even though to me its white!) So long as all the grooms party shirts match each other I'm really not bothered if it matches my dress.

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

I actually worried about this too, when they tried on their waistcoats they are ivory (i think) and red swirls and just ivory with ivory swirls for h2b so i will try an ivory and a white shirt to make sure they look right with the waistcoat but i'm not too fussed if his shirt matches my dress or anything else. Does that make sense??

I don't think your being silly for worrying as I'm sure we have all worried about something little that doesn't really matter to someone else!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

When H2B when suit shopping they ordered him an ivory shirt as they said a white shirt would make my ivory dress look dirty. We are also having ivory table cloths. Not that H2B knows any of this, it's a secret so he doesn't know the colour of my dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics