Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

macca28
Beginner August 2012

Do you regret the money you spent on your wedding?

macca28, 21 of January of 2013 at 20:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 41

I know not all, but a lot of us on here are married.

just working out some figures (oh the joy) with H tonight and he came out with the line I hate 'well, if we handnt spent so much on the wedding, we would be in a different place now'. He says he doesn't regret it at all, but he regularly mentions that we could have put that money into our house/future.

my opinion differs depending on what day it is and what I want at that time! If there is something I want but we can't afford (a baby!), then it does get me thinking but generally, I don't regret a penny and put it all down to the cost of milestones in life (wedding, house, baby etc). Plus I loved every part of our wedding.

41 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 22 of January of 2013 at 19:49
  • Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Yes as little as we spent it was a waste.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

We only spent just under £500, and I still think that was far too much ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

No. I think we had a happy medium as in we spent a fair bit but no so much that we had to get into debt or let it hinder our future plans. It is a scary amount for one day though.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Goodness, no! Best £xK I ever spent!

I shall always be able to look back on a fabulous day, surrounded by my favourite people, spoiling them as I made promises I intend to keep until my dying day. We created memories that will help us through any sleepdeprived nights we may or may not encounter. We spent freely but on things that mattered to us so I shall never regret the cost.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I think we were quite thrifty. We did well money wise for all that we had. We could of spent thousands more but not really of had much more for it.

• MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content

Yes and no, I don't regret the amount, but wish I had spent more on somethings (video would have been nice in hindsight) and less on others such as flowers and other crap I was never bothered about.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Well not had my wedding yet but my motto for life is 'never regret the things you do, regret the things you don't do'

I'd rather look back on an amazing wedding then looks back and think I wish we spent more money on xyz to get exactly what we want.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

No not really. We had a great day plus I shopped around and budgeted well

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

No, but I would have done if I'd have spent alot or had to get into debt for it. I'm pretty frugal anyway so spending more wouldn't have made it any more special or have any more meaning.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

No, since £10k ish was on flights/honeymoon and £4.5k was donated by parents to fund a UK reception. Which meant the actual wedding was only about 5.5k and entirely reasonable. Not a penny in debt so no dramas.

I don't even regret my horrifically expensive first wedding although I have residual guilt over what my father paid. I know that had my first marriage not failed I wouldn't have met OH and wouldn't be who I am now, so all for the best.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I am not yet married, but I'm in a half and half camp already.

On the one hand, we are not getting ourselves into debt, we're spending what I consider is a reasonably 'average' amount considering the number of guests we have and have been sensible about choosing which things to splurge on and which we can do without.

However, our venue and catering is by far the biggest cost, it was the first venue we ever saw and whilst I fricking love it and probably would still choose the same venue again, I was a little bit in the dark as to how much cheaper we could have got it. Same with a couple of other early decisions, I think I possibly jumped in too fast but then I am happy with what we have.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

It sort of blows my mind in terms of moneyspent for simply one day, but do not regret it for a second.

It was a proper, full-on, fairy tale wedding and was literally the most amazing day of our lives. I wouldn't change anything about it - the venue was amazing and the people were amazing, and so I wanted to give them good food (and lots of it),nice wine (and lots of it) and a good time. Plus, I wanted everyone to have more than 3 canapes!

We bought for the first time (last month) so means our deposit could have been higher, but would not take it back for the world.

I would never regret it*

*unless we can't afford the mortgage, the the Bank of Ireland take away our place, but even then, meh, I'm still not sure I'd regret it**

**meant tongue in cheek

• macca28
    Beginner August 2012
    macca28 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is the moto we, or maybe I, took when planning our wedding. Money we can get again (overtime, 2nd job etc) but we an never go back and re-do that day

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

It was the best money we ever spent. We had the day we wanted and look back on it with great memories, so no regrets!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Nah it was brill! Even if we hadn't got married I don't think our lifestyle would be any different, our savings account would look happier though. If our lifestyle had to be compromised, I.e. not being able to buy our house, then I probably would regret spending so much on one day if we couldn't afford a house for all the days of our future..

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

We spent just under £2k and I don't regret it. It was savings we had and we chose to do it this way rather than the 8-10k we had planned to spend next year. I think I would have regretted that just because that could have gone so far towards our next house.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I don't regret the money spent one little bit. Our parents gave us £5k each; they could afford it, and it meant we were able to invite our large families. So we would always have spent at least £10k, since it wouldn't have been right to use that money on anything else. My parents then gave some extra to cover the extra guests they had and we covered the last £5k ourselves.

I don't wish to sound mercenary, and obviously we don't think of it in this way, but we were given more than £5k in cash gifts from our guests before even getting on to the monetary value of gifts from our gift list. So getting married actually improved our financial situation, adding to our house deposit and ensuring that we didn't need to spend money on certain household essentials (because people bought them for us as wedding gifts).

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely. I lost over £3k on deposits and whatnot when I cancelled. What a waste.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

When I think that we spent £10k on a day it does sound crazy; but then I remember how fabulous it was and no, I don't regret one penny.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

AS others have said, it does blow my mind how much we spent on ONE day but we had the most amazing time and I think for the sort of day we had and the numbers of guests we had we could easily have spent double!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Not really as parents paid a lot towards it. Also, selling stuff afterwards softens the blow a bit! Plus, as I had a silk bouquet it's now in a lovely perspex case with H's buttonhole, so flower money wasn't a waste!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Not at all. Alright, nost of it was from our parents and they would have given it to us for something somewhere down the line but I still would rather have spent it on the wedding. We had a house.

This might get a few backs up but I can not stand people who put wedding before house. Some girl I know is coming off the property ladder and selling her house in order to spend thousands on the wedding! WTF?!?!?!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't regret a penny. Apart from my dress, which was paid from savings, everything else came from monthly disposable income. I would have only spent it on clothes anyway (and Boy, on various electronic gadgets).

And we certainly don't see that the money would have been better put towards a house deposit :p

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I don't regret it. We already had a house and didn't get into debt over it, we just worked our arses off to save for it and had a bit of help from parents. I wouldn't have wanted to spend any more money than we did though.

Sometimes I think our honeymoon was a bit extravagant but then we had an amazing 10 days and I wouldn't change that either.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I don't regret it, but it does make me wince when I think about how much money it was on one day (and we were pretty frugal). It hasn't stopped us getting a house and I think we've done pretty well to get married and buy a house in 18 months without getting into any financial trouble, apart from a family loan - but I don't count that really.

We are now back to being penniless, and this I really don't like.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

No but we had a hefty contribution from my parents. I really had my fairytale day, we both loved everything about it (except the best mans speech, tosser!)

We bought a house after getting engaged so were on the property ladder 2 years before the wedding. It was tough paying bills, saving for wedding, paying off honeymoon.

If it had been a choice between a big wedding or a house I would probably have went for the house but luckily we didnt have to make a decision like that.

I thought we would be better off after the wedding but for some reason we still never have money! C'est la Vie.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I dont regret it for a second.

We saved money where we could and didnt go overboard, but having our families there, all together was priceless.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely not, we only spent what we were comfortable spending anyway and had exactly the day we wanted. We didn't end up in debt and carried on the same level of saving after for the next part of our lives together.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Not at all. We didn't go overboard or get into debt, and we truly had a perfect day.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Nope, but do you know what, I don't know what our grand total spend was.

I've never sat down and wrote down everything we bought and added up the costs. It doesnt matter to me.

my mum paid for the venue (which we got uber cheap as they had only just opened) and my nan bought my dress but this didnt make me go crazy. I didnt know she would be getting it until after I had chosen it. (same with venue too actually, once we put the deposit down, mum said she would pay the rest!)

Like others have said, we bought things as we went from our disposable income. I always had in the back of my mind that it was just one day, a dress I would wear one day etc (H's suit cost more than my dress, but then he has worn it since & will wear again)

When I look back on the day (and the photos), I remember a day full of love, family, friends, dancing, amazing food and lots of drinking! The costs of things doesnt cross my mind at all!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Nope, we are fortunate to be older than most of you and already have a great house and I have my daughter so those things are not on the horizon for our future worries.

we spent £8k on our wedding and another £8k on the honeymoon. Loved every single minute and would do it again. We were fortunate to have done this without any contributions from parents and not get into debt with doing so

if we had got into debt etc then would certainly think differently.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics