Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nefertiti
Beginner November 2002

Do you return stuff or write it off? (- groceries)

Nefertiti, 1 of February of 2009 at 13:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

Just curious in whether the majority of us are 'typically British' and never complain

I have returned stuff a couple of times to our local Tesco - once I bought a bagfull of fresh fruit to make a big fruit salad for breakfast when we had friends over for the weekend, 80% of it was bad (this was the next morning).

Just asking because yesterday I bought a strawberry cheesecake for dessert last night and it was practically inedible! There was so much gelatin? in the cheese part that it tasted like rubbery mousse, the straberry sauce tasted suspect and the biscuit base was a soggy paste. I threw away what we attempted to eat but there is half sitting in the fridge - I won't take it back because it is too much effort with two little ones to go out today - it's just annoying.

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsSW, 2 of February of 2009 at 10:54
  • Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

If something went off before its date then I would, but only on my next trip to the supermarket, rather than a special trip. If it was just rubbish quality I wouldn't.

• H
    Beginner
    Holly Bags ·
    • Hide content

The only time I've done it was a complaint to Tesco Home Delivery when ALL of the fridge items were either out of date or had one day on them as they arrived and they just credited me for the next time.

I should have returned a £14 joint of beef to Asda because it was stinking when I opened it, despite being well in date, but the smell was so awful I binned it.

I posted yesterday about being in the customer services queue in Asda, behind a woman who was returning a flat lettuce because it had wilted. She got 11p back.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

It depends. yesterday MrF took a punnet of blueberries back to tesco, they were rank. but tesco is about two mins walk and he had time (plus was annoyed at being sold rank fruit in the first place). so if i can be botehred and it doesn't disrupt my day too much, i do. otherwise i just write it off and make a note to avoid that store / product again.

• Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Unless past BBE date probably not, but depending on what it was and how annoyed I was I might write a letter / email to complain.

My mother is the worst when it comes to complaining. She has a hotline to Trading Standards and will complain about everything (when there's a problem, not for the sake of it). I don't have the energy to follow things through, so I'll make the complaint then leave it at that, she will follow things through until she gets something back - for several months sometimes.

• Fenella Fudge
    Beginner June 2008
    Fenella Fudge ·
    • Hide content

I dont tend to complain, normally I'll just throw the item away but I did take a corked bottle of wine back to Sainsburys the other day as I like wine and didnt want to waste the money.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

It also depends on how much I paid for it, where it was from etc. I'd expect more from an expensive M&S cheesecake than a Sainsbuggers/Tesco own brand 'value' one.

• Wuzzle
    Beginner
    Wuzzle ·
    • Hide content

I've taken a turkey back to ASDA before because the day after I bought it I pierced the plastic to open it and it smelled so bad. It wasn't just on its way out it was well and truly rotten. I ended up taking it back in a tightly tied bag and handing them the receipt and the sticker from the turkey so they could scan it, the guy went to open the bag and I told him he didn't want to do that. He went ahead anyway and ended up nearly heaving ?

Usually if its just veg or something that costs below a fiver I would probably write it off, but at £15 I was going to have to complain. They replaced the turkey and gave me my money back for the inconvenience.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WFS. Mind you last nigght we popped into tesco and were looking in the reduced section (I don't understand why, where we live, stuff that is going off that day is reduced by like, 20p. I expect it to be reduced TO 20p. whats the point in them chucking it away?) anyway, they had a punnet of clearly mouldy raspberries in there. There was an employee next to me so I said "excuse me, these raspberries are mouldy" he grunted, took them off me and wandered off, me shouting at his back "You're welcome!" and MrH hiding behind the dunkin dougnuts section. what is wrong with customer services these days? if that had happened whilst I was working in shops I'd have been mortified and at least apologised.

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

It totally depends on what it is, I've had 2 rather large run in's with sainsbuggers one because I bought some ready to eat mussels and they'd not been cleaned at all, so weren't ready to eat, I had to spend ages scraping barnicles off, de bearding them, I could have bought them from the market for cheaper but didn't want to have to clean them, I got a refund and they no longer advertised them as ready to eat, actually I bought another couple of bags after the initial complaint and half of them were dead, another complaint and refund.

I also went through a phase of phoning the sainsburys customer care line when a few items I'd got weren't up to scratch, but thats mainly because I didn't actually have to go out.

• Huss
    Beginner
    Huss ·
    • Hide content

Not generally unless it's from Waitrose as that's literally 2 mins from my house and I'm in and out all the time but I rarely have the need to complain about them!

I have frequently complained about Sainsbury's online shopping as that's just a phone call and they always credit it back to me. I also usually get more than the item's are worth as they tend to round it up to the nearest £5/10 so it does make it worthwhile.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I'm more aware than ever at the moment of how much things cost and last week I bought some Braeburns in ASDA for £1.97. We'd had some the week before from Tesco and they were lovely, sweet and crunchy. THe ASDA ones were spongey despite saying 'crunchy' on the wrapper. I had every intention of taking them back, I wouldn't have done in the past but for nearly £2 I decided they were too dear to chuck. Unfortunately MrSun ate them before I got the chance lol! If something is inedible or not as described then I'm more than willing to return it. There was a woman in front of me in Sainsbuggers a few weeks ago getting a refund on some apples that were partially gone off.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i had a similar experience in sainsbuggers with some chicken breasts. they were two days inside their sell by date but they had awful purply green hue to them and stunk to high heaven. but i delighted in waving them under the customer services lady's nose ?

• trixie
    Beginner
    trixie ·
    • Hide content

I've taken things back if they've been truly bad - A likes corn-on-the-cob so we buy the mini frozen ones, and one bag had two that were blackened and looked like they had been gnawed by some rodent-like. They went back, as I was inconvenienced having told my 3-year old she could have one with her dinner and then having to deal with the tears when she didn't have one ?

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

I try to if possible. We had a few problems with meat going off before the use by date so I returned it as meat is quite expensive (we get organic/free range) and so as I tend to shop twice a week if not more then it's relatively easy to take stuff back, as long as I remember to do so.

• Rosienufc
    Beginner September 2007
    Rosienufc ·
    • Hide content

I really should. Usually I just put them in the bin, then don't buy them again.

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

Late last year I took an in date chicken back to the co op. When I came to roast it for lunch the day after i'd been shopping it was smelling really badly so I left most of the wrapping on, tied it up in a plastic bag and took it down to the shop. To give them their due they agreed it was on the way out and unacceptable. They replaced my chicken for another which was absolutely fresh and lovely and we ate at dinner instead!

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

If it was faulty in some way or had a short date then I would complain. I have in the past. i wouldn't just because I didn't like the taste.

I once called them and complained that a good number of large main meal items all had to be used within a day, I got a lot of money back!

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that's generous of them. sainsbuggers gave me my money back and a replacement too. co-op sound like tight wads to me. ?

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm Perhaps I should practice my grumbling skills and drive a harder deal in the future! ?

• Nefertiti
    Beginner November 2002
    Nefertiti ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah but in my OP re the cheesecake it is a case of both, we didn't like the taste but I do think it is 'faulty', I have had one before and it was nice. Good to see so many people return stuff!

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content

We use Ocado so I just email and say if something wasn't right and they refund the money.

• M
    MrsSW ·
    • Hide content

You can just phone Asda's customer service line if you have a problem with an item and they will send you a refund by post (gift card). I did this with a prepared joint of lamb that had a huge lump of fat running through the middle (it would have been visible to the person preparing the joint before rolling) and I also had a box of chocs that tasted of glue because of the glittery box they were in. In both cases I got a refund.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics