Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meg27
Beginner September 2021 Derbyshire

Do you think I’ve been fair? Pregnant bridesmaid.

Meg27, 16 of July of 2021 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 3
Hi
Cut a long story short. My best friend was my bridesmaid. We’ve had three postponements ( thanks covid!) and have been planning our wedding since 2018!
She has never shown any interest in the wedding, never asked how planning was going or if I needed any help. Was meant to organise hen and didn’t. My sister ended up sorting it. Basically, you wouldn’t know she was even a bridesmaid tbh. Anyway , she’s now pregnant. Totally ok with this and I’m happy for her. However, I’ve already paid £120 for a dress that now doesn’t fit her. Spoken to my seamstress who said she wouldn’t be able to match the fabric ( it’s an odd ball colour) and only option was to purchase another dress for it to be cut up and made into a maternity dress. That was another £120 plus £80 for the alterations. Totalling now for just dresses £320. Now, I do believe that if I ask someone to be in my bridal party and wear a certain outfit , that I pay for it. But I had paid for it and it’s not my fault she decided to start a family . My view is she should have offered to cover the cost of the other dress and alterations. I also asked her if she still felt up to being in the bridal party and I was told she was and she still wanted to do it - fine with me. However, no offer of any financial help at all which I’m a bit hurt by.
Following on from that , I then get a text to say my seamstress has said to her that the dress might not even fit on the wedding day. I was surprised as this wasn’t what I was told. She then offered to just ‘ get her own dress’ after I’d spent all that money . I phoned the seamstress and she told me that was absolutely NOT what was said as it was a complete lie. Now, maybe she just didn’t want to be a part of the bridal party anymore and didn’t know how to tell me but I’m so hurt as I did give her the opportunity to ‘ step down’ BECORE I paid all the money out for the dresses and I made it clear I wouldn’t be offended as I know how hard pregnancy in the third trimester can be ( which is what she’ll be come the wedding) I explained that I’d rather have her there as a ‘ special guest’ if it meant her being comfortable and happy than pushing her to be in a ‘ role’ where she felt too much pressure. I’m so so hurt :-(
I haven’t responded to the text abbot ‘ just getting her own dress’ Do you think I’m being unreasonable being angry and hurt ? Should I still proceed with her being in the bridal party or just take her up on her offer on her purchasing her own dress and she then comes as a guest and not my bridesmaid?
A issue I’m conscious of is her partner is my husband to be best man! I don’t want to rock the boat too much as he lose him but then on the other side I’m angry I’ve been lied to and hurt that my ‘ best friend’ has expected me to fork out for something that want my doing.

3 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 19 of July of 2021 at 13:55
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content
    She hasn't said get her own dress and just be a guest though, it sounds like she wants to buy her own maternity dress and still be a bridesmaid. Is there not a complimentary colour she could wear?

It's not right that she has lied to you either but like you say you need to be careful not to rock the boat with them being friends of your husbands too.
    Why don't you meet her for a cuppa and just chat with her to try and find out what she wants to do, much better than texts which can be misinterpreted xx
  • Meg27
    Beginner September 2021 Derbyshire
    Meg27 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for replying. I would be more than happy for her to get her own dress but the colour I have is a real odd ball and we can’t find a maternity dress that matches or one that would ‘ look right ‘ or that made it obvious she was in the bridal party.

Yes, I intend to speak to her face to face but wanted to get opinions on the situation first. I feel I’ve done everything I could possibly do really to accommodate her , but I don’t get anything in return or even met half way so to speak. I don’t feel I should be doing all the ‘ work’ and worrying and stressing out about it when she has clearly lied to me x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I am sorry to hear you have cancelled that many times covid is just a pain i hope you can sort things out x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics