Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Do you tip....

Holey, 9 of October of 2014 at 10:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 35

Delivery drivers? I had a big delivery from Ikea today and wondered whether it's the norm to tip the delivery drivers?

Also, while I'm here, do you tip your hairdresser?

35 replies

Latest activity by *J9*, 17 of October of 2014 at 11:31
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

No! But my hairdresser is the same age as my parents and has cut all my family's hair for years, and he owns and runs the business, so I think it would seem weird and probably a bit patronising for me to tip him. Maybe if it was like a junior in a big salon I would. Delivery drivers it's never even occured to me to. I honestly don't think I've ever tipped except in restaurants, Starbucks and occasionally saying "keep the change" to a taxi driver.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I never tip the owner of a business. I do tip staff though who go beyond what you might expect. So a delivery driver handing over at the door - no tip, but if it was heavy, bulky and s/he offered to take it to where it needed to be, stayed to unpack it, check it was OK etc then I might. But if I've paid extra for delivery and a service iykwim, then I wouldn't tip. I tip waiting staff if they deliver a good service. They get more for doing more. Similarly juniors in salons will get a tip.

I do buy thank you cards or gifts though for business owners/people who have done lovely things etc. I like to recognise when people have gone the extra mile.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't tip the Ikea guys and don't tip my hairdresser.

I never really thought about this. You got me worried now!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Haha Halloweeny!

When I ordered the stuff the guy in the store told me they would take it upstairs for me so assumed it was all part of the service but the guys that delivered it were a bit huffy, there was no issue with it going up the stairs either, we've got a wide hallway and straight flight of stairs so wasn't massively difficult.. If the guy in store hadn't said anything I would've just asked them to stack it in the living room.

I only asked about the hairdresser because I never know what to do! The lady that cuts my hair is my age and works for a salon chain (not a national one but a local one here). I pay £45 every 5-6 weeks just for a cut but didn't know whether I should tip her too. I just find it a bit awkward.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Ok - can I expand on this and ask the question: is it ever ok to tip something that isn't money?! If you work in the sort of industry where you get tips, would it ever be ok?

We recently go the wedding list things delivered by John Lewis. Nothing that was very big or heavy, and the two delivery guys were helpful and pleasant. Basically the were what I'd expect (and hope for) and did their job. I didn't tip them but after they'd gone I thought "I'd just made some muffins - I could have given them some" Is that totally weird? My old hairdresser got a plant once as a tip and was a bit WTF?! About it.

As with many people, I tip in restraunts/cafes but wouldn't tip in Starbucks!? Their coffee is over priced as it is! Taxi drivers if the journey was £9 would get £10. Same with Dominos guy - if order is £18 I'd give him a £20 but I've recently started ordering/paying online so no need for cash and the delivery guy is losing out. The last bloke was so nice I wish I'd been able to tip him, but then again £18 is enough for pizza as it is!

Yes, I'm very tight....

My friend's husband is postman and gets tips/gifts (especially at Christmas). It would never occur to me to tip our postie (because he is terrible)!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

It would never occur to me to tip delivery drivers, even if they were delivering furniture. We are having some new bedroom furniture delivered next Wednesday and have paid for a two man delivery so that it all gets put in the bedroom. I guess that they'd just bring it into the hallway otherwise and there is no way that I would attempt to get everything upstairs myself as it would involve too many swearwords.

When we moved house last year it occured to me after the removal guys had left that I probably should have tipped them. We have a three storey house and when we weren't sure where we wanted things we asked them to put them on the top floor as it is easier to move things down stairs than up. Those poor guys were up and down those stairs a lot!

I tip my hairdresser every time I have my haircut though. I guess that maybe it's because a have more of a personal relationship with her IYKWIM?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I don't tip except in restaurants and only there because I know the waiting staff often rely on the tips to make up their wages.

For purely selfish reasons really - we aren't well off ourselves and we have paid a more than adequate price for services already. However, I always offer delivery guys and workmen a cup of tea/coffee because that's just polite Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I tip taxi drivers (round up), food deliveries (not shopping; again, round up), hairdresser/colourist about £10 each, in restaurants (have even gone back to one the next day after a tip mix up with Boy), um....

I wouldn't tip Ikea delivery drivers though and I can't figure out why they differ from pizza boys. Maybe it's because the spotty 18 year old from dominoes looks more needy?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Oh forgot to say - yes I tip my hairdresser!

I pay by card £45 and then give her the £5. I want her to have it, not the boss of the salon. She's also amazing, I've never enjoyed getting my hair cut until I found her.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Workmen yes, delivery guys no. By the time I've made a cuppa they would be finished!

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think it was because he was huffing and puffing about taking it upstairs that made we wonder whether it was the done thing.

I pretty much always tip in restaurants and normally quite generously if the service has been good.

I get a bit annoyed with tipping takeaway drivers though tbh as they can hardly ever find our house and one of us normally has to go out and flag them down.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Oh and ATB I think tipping in something other than money is fine in the scenario you said. Most people would love a muffin! ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd like to think that if I was in that situation, I'd judge if the person looked dodgy or not! I look clean, and that I've eaten a lot of muffins and survived so I'd have a muffin from me, but I others would think accepting food from strangers is wrong!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I didn't mean just any delivery drivers. But for example, the ones who delivered and set up our corner suite were here for well over half an hour so I offered them a drink Smiley smile

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I hate tipping generally why should I tip someone money for doing their job, they already get paid for it and I don't get tipped in my job. I did leave a generous tip once to a girl in Chiqutos who'd obviously had an awful night from the amount of people who were complaining in there and I thought she really deserved it.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I've read the posts Aove with huge interest as my OH and I have been chatting about our honeymoon, it's all inclusive but I'm of the mind to tip the waiters/bar staff etc for a good service even thou it's all inclusive. I've ad reviews on Trip Advisor where some guests, especially at the resort where we are going, are not at all happy with other guests tipping the waiters etc as it gives them preferential treatment.

My point is, if they have given a good service then why not tip, the staff don't get any extra for being on an all inclusive holiday and it's certainly not to get better service.

What do you think, would you tip in this instance?

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

I tip my hair dresser and the lady who waxes my lady bits (when I get them done!). I also tip in restaurants, unless there's service charge included or the service has been dreadful. if there was spare change, I would tip a taxi driver.

I wouldnt dream of tipping a delivery driver, but we did tip the removal men who moved us a few months ago.

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

I always tip in restaurants as I was once a waitress! I never pay service charge as it's taxable, where as cash tips aren't.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the circumstances. Always in restaurants, delivery drivers, my hairdresser & my beauty lady. I wouldn't tip the Ikea guy though - unless they went to great effort to help me move it or something maybe?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

The only delivery drivers I tip are food ones because I know they're often very poorly paid and have to pay for their own petrol.

I do tip hairdresser, nail person, beauty therapist etc. as well as restaurant servers.

Basically I tip anyone who I think needs a little boost on their wages and have given a good service.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I'm a serial tipper. I tip the girl who washes my hair at the hairdresser and the one who cuts it. I tip food delivery dudes and taxi drivers and of course in restaurants. I don't really understand why some you tip and some you don't tip - it had never occurred to me to tip a furniture deliver dude even though I wouldn't hesitate to give a couple of quid to a take away delivery guy

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As you say, just because a holiday is all-inclusive, why should that necessarily translate to good wages for the staff on the ground? The hotel is taking your holiday payment, the waiter is still bringing you your drinks.

And if you consider that most of us doing the luxury/destination/all-in holiday are doing it in poorer countries, I think it's really nice - essential, even - to tip the staff at ground level. They earn pennies, and your extra quid or whatever can make all the difference.

If we are going to exploit beautiful beaches and local butlers to serve us on our daybeds by the pool, the least we can do is chuck them a few quid extra!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

My husband tips everyone, from the guy who delivers the oil to the postman at Christmas. I tip my hairdresser and now just let my husband tip everyone else Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

And I will add that I most certainly would tip if I knew it would get me better service, a nicer table at the restaurant, my room cleaned more thoroughly. Greasing the wheels...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Tipping in your first day of an all inclusive means you always get served first at the bar.

i would always tip the people who clean my room, especially in poorer countries, I always tip restauraunt sunless the service has been awful (if the waiter has tried thier hardest in a challenging environment then I tip) I tip taxis but have never tipped a hairdresser. No idea why?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I always tip on all inclusive but do it at the end of the stay if same person serving us.

Last AI trip (I am a AI snob and have only done it at really nice places) there were loads of different restaurants so we would tip each night. The people tended to work 6/7 days a week and all worked extremely hard

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm also a serial tipper I tip anyone I can find pretty much - hairdresser, taxi driver, food delivery, cleaner, restaurants etc though in restaurants I make my tip dependent and proportional on good service.

I definitely tip in an all inclusive resort for all the reasons footers gave.

The "I don't get tipped in my job" argument annoys me. These jobs are generally very poorly paid, and I think it encourages people in the service industry to make sure they're providing a good service (that's why I'll withhold a tip if they're rude or lazy as I don't think it should be expected). I know there's some jobs that are poorly paid with no tips, but that doesn't mean we should stop tipping those we can, just to make the misery fairer.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

When we went AI to Jamaica, I read on Trip Advisor that tipping was expected (lots of American guests) so we used to give a dollar per round of drinks at the bar. When we went to Menorca last month we didn't bother, although we did leave a few euros for the maid at the end of the week.

We only tip in restaurants and we're pretty generous if we've had really good service. I never tip my hairdresser, probably because I don't stick to the same one. I don't tip the supermarket delivery man, but the most recent one I've had has been so lovely and has carried all the boxes into the kitchen for me that I definitely will next time.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I tip my hairdresser. When she started doing my hair she worked at a big fancy salon in town, but when she left to become a mobile hairdresser, I went with her, I wouldn't want anyone else doing my hair. I always tip her because I know that she's working hard to get her business up and running, and her rates are pretty cheap as it is. Holey I can't believe a cut for you is £45! My lady charges £25...

I don't think I've ever tipped a delivery driver, but I do tip anyone that delivers anything in the run-up to Christmas, the postman, the Ocado guy, the couriers, but they get tipped with whatever I happen to be making - mince pies, Christmas biscuits etc.

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

I tip food delivery, taxi drivers, restaurants (all with appropriately good service of course, if it's bad I won't). I don't tip my hairdresser, she owns the salon. I've never tipped a delivery driver, but would tip for house movers.

I haven't been on AI but would tip.

ATB - I think the muffins would have been lovely! They can always say no, but I'm sure they'd have a happy glow either way.

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I tip in restaurants, and the taxi driver will get the fare rounded up.
    I don't tip my hairdresser or beauty lady but I do get them birthday & Christmas presents (my little way of saying thank you)

I'd offer delivery men a cuppa or a cake but probably wouldn't tip ... mostly because I never have any cash on me Smiley smile

x

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I lived in America for 9 years and worked as a server/bartender for 5 of those years, so tipping is part of my DNA, and when i first moved over here I sometimes made people uncomfortable by overtipping. I now tip my hairdresser £5 on a £20 cut, and double that at Xmas. I tip the lady who waxes my eyebrows (which costs a tenner) £2, because giving her a quid feels tight. When we got our new sofa delivered, they brought it into our third floor flat and assembled it in under 10 minutes, so I tipped them £10. I still tip a minimum of 20% at restaurants, but i don't tip at bars. taxi drivers always get the fare rounded up, and i tip food delivery guys a couple of quid. Last week I left my oh sitting in the restaurant after our meal because we reallised neither of us had cash for a tip, so I walked down the street to an atm. i always tip for food/drink on holidays but usually forget the hotel staff!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I must be a tight arse as l so rarely tip apart from in a restaurant if the service was good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics