Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

excitedbee
Beginner February 2011

Do you tip your beautician / hairdresser??

excitedbee, 11 of May of 2011 at 13:19 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

I used to always give my hairdresser a £5 tip when i had full highlights and colour but i moved areas and new hairdresser was more expensive than old so don't tip. I also don't tip my beautician when i go for a wax or pedicure, but i noticed today all the ladies have little piggy banks with their names on behind the tills so i assume that's for tips.

I'm paranoid they must think im stingy or a bad client as i don't tip. Just wondering what the rest of you do??

Thanks

15 replies

Latest activity by Iqbal, 15 of November of 2021 at 06:45
  • Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

I do tend to but I wish I didn't feel the need to bother - I never understood the whole tipping thing, particularly not in this country where we have a minimum wage (found out recently that in the states service staff are frequently on about $2p/h and are quite literally working for tips). I don't expect a special reward for doing my job well, it's expected that I do my job well and if I perform well above what is expected it's down to my employer to reward that, not my clients. A nice "thanks" should be all that's required direct from the consumer/service user

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I don't. my hairdressers charge enough and always seem to be putting the price up!!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

I don't tip but I do give them money at christmas. Something my mum used to do so I've just picked it up.

• Twickers
    Beginner March 2011
    Twickers ·
    • Hide content

I don't, for a similar reason that others have said - I'm already spending a lot of money....

Also, the owner does my hair, so I feel a more awkward tipping her than if it was a junior who perhaps wasn't earning as much.

I used to tip when I lived overseas and it was very much the done thing - people would have been offended if they didn't get tipped.

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

Oh good, i'm glad it's not just me then. Thank you ladies, you have made me feel better, lol

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

It's £13.55 for my waxing so if I pay by card I don't tip, but if I'm paying in cash I feel miserable holding out my hand for 45p change.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I usually tip my hairdresser,sometimes beauticians but not if i pay by card. I went to see a chiropodist today for the first time (would recommend) and it was £26 so i gave £30 as it was worth it.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

If I go to my wee local salon for a trim, it's £18 and I just give her a £20 note. But in big city salon I'd usually pay cash and not tip.

• Bink
    Bink ·
    • Hide content

My hairdresser is a mobile one and dead cheap so I always tip her a fiver.

I don't have any regular beauty treatments but if I did, I'd prob tip a couple of pounds.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

I dont as a rule. The only time I used to was when my Hairdresser had to quit the salon she owned becuase she was ill and couldnt deal with the stress and started doing it from home, the price decreased dramatically and she was my hairdresser for 14 years so always used to give her a tip - or take her baby stuff when she was pregnant and yummy cake lol. (we were quite good friends too though)

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

I dont tip my hairdresser as she works for herself from her home salon and is very expensive, but worth it.

I used to be a beauty therapist at a salon, and I was very grateful when I was given tips as I got a very bad hourly rate. So I always tip beauty therapists if they are working in a salon for someone else, as they are working hard but not getting any of the profit.

Bx

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I tip a tenner each time I have a cut and colour and I leave £3-£5 each time I have my nails done. No wonder I'm feeling poor at the moment!

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

I do tip but generally tend to keep it at about 5 - 8% for hair beauty treatments. As for anywhere else ie, restaurants, I only tip if I feel I have had good service but when I do I give cash rather than tipping on the little card machine thing. That way I know it's going to the person it's intended for and not skimmed off by head office!

• Tomy
    New Jersey
    Tomy ·
    • Hide content

As a beautician from New York, we have a norm to tip every service we take. e.g. we always tip 16% on a taxi ride. As the owner of Tomy Rivero Beauty Lab, we have a fixed rate included with tax and other services. Neither we ask nor do we accept tips from the customers.

• I
    Beginner July 2024 Florida
    Iqbal ·
    • Hide content

Yes but for sometimes only for special events.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics