Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vee Tee
Beginner April 2012

Does anyone break the no flushing toilet paper rule abroad?

Vee Tee, 26 March, 2012 at 17:02

Posted on Off Topic Posts 60

I don't really want to have a bin full of poopy paper sitting in our room toilet all day til the maid comes....but I don't want to break the rules or get questioned as to why I'm not pooping ?

I don't really want to have a bin full of poopy paper sitting in our room toilet all day til the maid comes....but I don't want to break the rules or get questioned as to why I'm not pooping ?

60 replies

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

Toilet humour - tis my fave!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The most awful things I have ever used...

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Mini - WTF?! Do you just hover and let it drop?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well you crouch...

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad i started this thread! ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah that's ok then ?

Wouldn't fancy doing that after a bevvy or two! Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'could get messy'.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

?

I have never, until now, been thankful to live in a country with flushing toilets with seats...

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I honestly would rather go in the bush.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

I'll bet you would HT ?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I seem to recall they have those squat toilets in europe as well, I remember a particually bad car journey through france as a kid, was desperate desperate desperate, dad found a little road side toilet block, took one look and got back in the car. I was mentally scarred still from the previous day where I'd slipped and fallen.. ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eugh!

If they're going to the hassle of building those squat things though why not just build a normal loo?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's supposed to be better for you. Less strain, less constipation, less clean up.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I suppose you could argue it's better for you on the basis it's like going to the gym, got to have good muscles to hold yourself up and 'aim' ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't hover, like over a nightclub toilet! Your knees are fully bent, bottom to the floor (but obviously not touching anything, ugh). They aren't that wierd to use - at least, the clean ones (say, in Singapore) are fine. They can get pretty grim but then, can't all toilets? You just don't look down...

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you have to strip off? I'd wee in my knickers if I tried this, especially if I was desperate.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I'd rather have constipation and a toilet seat I think.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Oh my dear lord this thread filled me with equal measures of horror and hilarity!!! I lived in rural Russia for a year and the public toilets were HOR-REND-OUS. I used to feel personally violated after many an experience ? I now have chronic public toilet phobia and have to send someone in ahead of me to provide a mark out of 10 and potential violation warning!! ?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Everytime I go to Greece I forget (brain like a sieve) then as soon as I get home I have got into the habit and I start looking for the bin post wee.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

I have laughed my way through this whole thread! ?

The WORST toilets that I have ever used were in very rural China. They were similar to the squat toilets that Mini posted...but so much worse! It was a pitch black shack, with no door and no individual cubicles. There were long holes in the wooden floor that you squatted over. No foot holds, no flushing mechanism - the poo went onto a pile of straw in the hole. And when the straw got too saturated they took it out and stacked it up into one great big haystack of sh1t...in the shack with you! The place wreaked to high heaven!! ? The worst part (yes, it gets worse) was when your eyes got accustomed to the dark and you realised that the walls and floors were teaming with insects attracted by all poo!! Certainly an experience! ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I am utterly mind boggled by much of this thread. either that or trying not to laugh out loud in the office.

Also speechless....!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Yuck! My trip to Crete later this year is going to be smelly...

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Greece for a summer when I was 18 and I just took hundreds of nappy sacks with me so that helped. Because we had our own place though, we had to empty the sh!t roll bin ourselves... countless arguments ensued!
    SOMEONE though continued to flush their roll down the toilet and believe me, when you see actual poo coming up through the shower plug hole, you realise that putting loo roll in the bin is a very small price to pay!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Foreign landfill sites must be spectacularly disgusting. Surely even the seagulls will avoid them?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he. Well, both poo and toilet roll break down easily so maybe it's not so much of a problem. There's not THAT much poo on loo roll (at least, not for me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong....).

If we want to be really green, we should be washing afterwards, not wiping! Does anyone use the bidet when they're away (or have one in their house)? I do (use one where available, not have one in my house).

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I always thought I was quite worldly wise, but I had no idea about this rule!

Last time we went to Australia, we stopped in China for a transfer. I hate using plane toilets, so I was desperate by the time I got to the airport. Of the three cubicles in the ladies, two were hole in the ground toilets and one was a proper toilet. I walked in the hole toilet and walked straight back out again. The Chinese ladies waiting in the queue must have thought I was a proper diva. I have bad knees though and can't bend them very well. I just had visions of me toppling over backwards into my own wee!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics