Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KB3
Beginner

Does anyone remember Point Horror books?

KB3, 7 August, 2009 at 10:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 47

As a young teenager I absolutely loved reading Point Horror books. My girlfriends and I would swap books with each other once we'd finished. They were so gripping and scary and I felt really old and cool for reading them.

I'd totally forgot about them until we went to a market on holiday and found a book stall selling some. I bought the girls one each, The Lifeguard and Hit & Run and they read them both within a couple of days. We're going to join the library and try to borrow some more so they can read the series.

From memory I think either The Fever or FunHouse were the scariest. Although the cover for The Snowman used to really freak me out ?

47 replies

Latest activity by Herringston, 10 August, 2009 at 20:08
  • monkey fingers
    Beginner
    monkey fingers ·
    • Hide content

Yes! Loved them, think my favourite was called 'remember me' but it probably was the least scary as I am a wuss!

• kmw
    kmw ·
    • Hide content

I do, I was literally having a conversation about them not 2 days ago whilst wandering though the children's section of WHSmiths.

I can't remember the titles but remember one with a girl in a mirror who had died in a car accident in lake or river with some friend. I do remember Funhouse lol

• FigJam
    Beginner
    FigJam ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes, I used to love them! Can't remember any of the storylines exactly, but some of those titles are ringing a bell. ?

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Remember them? I've still got about 30 in a box at my Mum's house! ?

Best ones (based purely on the fact that these are the ones I remember!) were:

• The Boyfriend
    • The Girlfriend
    • April Fools
    • Trick or Treat
    • Teacher's Pet
    • Hit and Run
    • The Cemetery
    • The Dead Game
    • The Diary
    • The Lifeguard
    • The Train
    • My Secret Admirer
    • Dream Date
    • The Fever
    • Beach Party
    • Beach House
    • Babysitter trilogy
    • Camp Fear
    • Perfume
    • 13 Tales of Horror - this was a collection of short stories and some of them scared the life out of me when I was a kid!!

Wow. I didn't realise I remembered so many of them!! I think Teacher's Pet, April Fools and Trick or Treat were the ones I found scariest.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

Ooo yes, I remember when they came out, and there weren't that many of them. I think the Lifeguard was one of the first I read. Trick or Treat, Funhouse, Teacher's pet. The boyfriend.

I read all the ones available, and then moved on to Dean R Koontz and Shaun Hutson and James Herbert, then loads of new point horrors came out, but by then I was into grown-up horror. I haven't read a horror book in aaaaaages.

If your girls like Point Horror, try some Lois Duncan books, particularly Don't Look Behind You. Scared me witless when I was 13 - I loved it.

• Daffy B
    Daffy B ·
    • Hide content

Oh I used to love Point Horror books, I had about 10 and I used to borrow them from the library. I read all the Point Horrors in our local library and then had to start buying the ones they didn't have! Do you remember one where the girl agrees to body swap for a short time with the ghost in the mirror but then (rather predictable I see now!) the ghost won't give her body back? And Funhouse, the Lifeguard, the Hitcher, there were loads of others that I loved.

There was also Point Romance and I think Point Thriller. One of my favourite books to this day is a Point Romance book that is supposed to be for teenagers?

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

I do. i think i had most of them, and then my Mum used to read them after i had finished them. I seem to think my Mum has kept them actually.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I'll have a search on Amazon for that author Flowery. I'm just do glad I've finally got the eldest back into reading.

• whitty1
    Beginner December 2003
    whitty1 ·
    • Hide content

Is it wrong that at (nearly) thirty I still hire these out from the library?

I got one the other month - not sure whether it was Point Horror or not about a girl who's sister was possessed. Poppy it was called. Scared the life out of me for the first 12 or so chapters and then had a really lame ending.

I love kids books ?

• mixie
    mixie ·
    • Hide content

I still have a load in my old bedroom in my Dad's house too. I remember getting 'The Babysitter' for my birthday and reading it in the house alone. There was a bit in the book where the girl is scared witless babysitting when there is a knock at the door...and at that exact point someone knocked on my door. I nearly had a heart attack.

The kids were always being left alone at home for days on end - how old were they meant to be?!

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

I used to love those books we all passed them round once we were done, one of my friends got a box set for christmas one year and I remember being very jealous, my mum didn't approve of them and thought I was too young so I conned my dad into buying me them.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wasn't that Stranger with my face, by Lois Duncan, not a point horror?

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, but that's like the TV programme (and books) about the two blonde twins, gah, what where they called? Ah Sweet Valley High! i never read the books, but loved the TV programme. Their parents were NEVER there - there was never an adult in sight! It was like two 14 year old girls living by themselves with an endless supply of money.

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content

I loved them too but when i try to remember them, they stories just merge into one big complicated plotline in my mind!

I remember one with an only child, a girl, who lived next door to a family of 4 or something. The children were called Tuesday, Brown, West and something else. I think the ending of that involved a couple of them (almost?) freezing to death in a truck?

There was also one about a girl at a university, or music school or something, who was in a room that the previous occupant had hanged herself in. Either she, or the dead girl, was called Giselle and I mortified myself by referring to her as 'Gizzle' when telling my cousin about it [sob]

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gosh, I LOVED Sweet Valley High. From the kiddy ones (Sweet Valley Twins?) to the College days ones. The parents were never at home, or just generally not very bothered about what they got up to. They did have an older (18-year-old?) brother who was left in charge but he didn't seem to look after them very much either.

• A
    Beginner January 2006
    AliDaDas ·
    • Hide content

I've recently been buying them if i see them in charity shops in the guise that they're for the children when they're older (my eldest is 4) - ofcourse I've been reading them again! lol

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

OOOh yes they were fab. Infact it was only last week when my mum cleared her attic out she gave me a huge carrier bag full of them. I'm going to start rereading them, I use to love them.

• Vindaloo
    Beginner May 2006
    Vindaloo ·
    • Hide content

Oh I LOVED those books! This thread has inspired me, I'm going to try and get hold of some of them again (for Amber when she's older, obviously, not for me...)

• Daffy B
    Daffy B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, I've just had a Google for descriptions and reviews for "Stranger with my face" and it doesn't fit with what I remember of the book. So I'm thinking of another one but I just can't remember the title or anything else to identify it!

• The Beast
    Beginner
    The Beast ·
    • Hide content

I loved Point Horror and Sweet Valley. I also read the Sweet Dreams and Nancy Drew series to death. I still have them all somewhere. I now know what I shall be doing this weekend. I could probably read them all before Monday ?

• J
    Beginner April 2006
    JK2B ·
    • Hide content

I also used to love these books - not sure if it was point horror but I remember reading several in the same series about a girl who's grandad had opened a door to an evil world and there was a guy in there that was in love with her and so lured her and her friends into the world through a board game.....what on earth was that called?

I think I fancied the evil guy in the story - I think he saved her at the end though!

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

I used to love Point Horror.

There was one about a train (was it just called The Train) and the guy in it was called Frederick Roger Drummond and he wrote his name on teh board as F Rog,..and everyone called him Frog from then on!

There was The Perfume, which was odd.

One about The Dead Game?

Gah loved them all - must buy them again!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oo - I'm curious as to what it is too then, as it sounds very familiar.

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Daffy B - that one was called The Accident.

The ghost is the ghost of a girl who died in an accident on the lake and she begs to change places with the herione

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Daffy B - it was called The Accident

The ghost was the ghost of a young girl who had died in a boating accident. She begged to change places with the heroine

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

I think they must have similar-ish plots then, as I don't remember reading that one.

In stranger with my face (unless I am getting very confused, which i may be) the heroine discovers she has a twin sister, and they were separated at birth. Her twin is using astral projection to visit her (and some how pretending to be her in corporeal form). I'm sure the first time she sees her it is in the reflection in a glass bookcase/window/mirror. Then the astral projecting twin convinces the heroine to learn how to do it too, but then nicks her body, and is possibly dead in real life, and not astral projectioning, but is a ghost.

It's possible I am confusing two plot-lines here ?

• Susie&George
    Susie&George ·
    • Hide content

Just did a wiki on point horrer after reading this. I remember a bokk with 13 stories it had one called 'where the deer are' freaked me out, infact it still does reading the title has sent shivers down my spine (still wish i had it to read it though!)

• Daffy B
    Daffy B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES! That's the one thank you. I think I might read it again, I really liked that one at the time.

• Daffy B
    Daffy B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

FtG look here: http://www.ciao.co.uk/Stranger_With_My_Face_Lois_Duncan__6267755

Looks like you're right about the plot in Lois Duncan's book, but I don't think I've read that one.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

I used to read them too, but can't remember any of the plots at all ?. I do remember being convinced that 'I know what you did last summer' was an old point horror when I first saw it though.

• Office Girl
    Office Girl ·
    • Hide content

I used to love all those books, I loved the Babysitter series, although I don't remember the story lines now! Just been on to our library website and all the ones I remember were 'missing at last stocktake' Grrrrrr, might have to comb the charity shops to see if they have any - I am on a mission! Wish I had saved them from my childhood now!

• M
    Beginner March 2010
    M-Jay ·
    • Hide content

Was The Accident the one where the ghost turned out to be her grandmothers step-sister who was mistreated by her step-mum (grandmothers mum) because she was so much prettier and more popular than the grandmother? I think the ghost was Julietta and the grandmother Martha?

I used to love these books, god knows why as I have terrible nightmares as it is and can't watch horror films because of it. I had loads, will have to see if they are in one the boxes my mum has to give me from her newly cleared out loft.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics