Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ebee
Beginner January 2008

Does paypal actually offer any protection?

ebee, 29 of July of 2009 at 14:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

I'm considering making a fairly big purchase from ebay, paying with a c/card through paypal... but I've been put off because the small print says if there's a problem you are only guaranteed what they can recover from the seller's paypal account - which assuming they are a scammer will be cleared out fairly promptly I'm sure!!

Would my credit card cover me in that instance?

(item is between 1k and 1.5k)

Anyone had any problems with a paypal dispute? ?

4 replies

Latest activity by Kihec24, 10 of September of 2024 at 07:24
  • Michpuss
    Rockstar May 2004
    Michpuss ·
    • Hide content

I am 99% certain that a credit card would protect you if Paypal can't retrieve the money.

But why don't you post on the ebay forum on the money saving expert website https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

There are some very knowledgeable people on there who have helped me in the past.

• MissL
    MissL ·
    • Hide content

Hi ebee - firstly you should be protected by your card company for any purchases made although it can take a while to get money back I think.

Paypal is very secure and from a vendor's point of view (we use paypal a lot at work) the buyer is by far the most protected. If there was a problem and you logged a complaint with Paypal the onus would be on the vendor to prove goods were as stated / received etc. If there isn't enough in the vendor's Paypal account they would freeze it completely and this would apply to any withdrawals they had tried to make to their bank account.

Paypal also make the vendor jump through loads of hoops if it is a business Paypal account to ensure you are who you say you are and are above board. If it was a personal Paypal account you were paying the money into Paypal generally check out any amount received over £1k.

I think ebay also offer protection don't they?

HTH

• Soobo
    Soobo ·
    • Hide content

I've just been through the dispute process with eBay/PayPal (albeit only for £10 ?) and when PayPal found in my my favour they said that I would only get my money back if there were sufficient funds in the seller's PayPal account. Thankfully there was and I received the money, but yes, I think that if you'd been scammed the chances of the money still being in the seller's PayPal account at the end of the dispute process, which is about a month, is negligible. I think paying by credit card would offer more protection but perhaps check with your bank first.

HTH

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

? thanks for your replies... have also posted on MSE so thanks for the link...

Soobo that pretty much sums up why I'd be worried ... there's no chance they'd still have the cash in their account if it was a scam (and it's a private seller although with good feedback for minor items)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics