Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missus S

Does the price of an engagement ring really matter?

Missus S, 17 January, 2011 at 11:15 Posted on Planning 0 64

Just the above really? We havent got my ring yet but the one i have fallen in love with is £250. Certain friends and family have pulled some funny faces, frowned and said he cant possibly spend that little on my engagement ring. Am i just cheap?! Id rather have that extra £1000 to put toward a wedding or honeymoon! Fair enough if you love a ring at a grand or two but surely i shouldnt be made to feel my e/r is horrible - even though its beaut - just cos its 'cheap'?

64 replies

Latest activity by Baroness, 19 January, 2011 at 17:36
  • Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Just to be a nosey cow, have you got a link to the ring in question?

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

WSS

Your friends and family should learn to be a bit nicer / keep their opinions to themselves!

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters at all how much your ER is, I didnt know how much mine was until I found the receipt by mistake anyway!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I dont care about the price, i know that HE picked it all on his own and chose it cos it was perfect for ME Smiley smile

i had to have mine reszied twice for about a month i had the reciepts and paperwork shizz on me and didnt peek once, i didnt want to know....until the final day i picked it up the lady in shop gave it away!! im glad hed got it in the sale as if hed have paid the full price id have been like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Of course what you like is more important than what others will think. Friends etc seem rude if they ask you how much it is anyway, you love it, who cares?!

• melissamatthew
    Beginner July 2011
    melissamatthew ·
    • Hide content

Tell them to mind their own business!

The old adage that a ring should cost a man's month's salary was part of an orchestrated advertising campaign by DeBeers anyway.

I would ensure that the ring you want for 250 GBP is of sufficient quality to stand the test of time (ie, if it has stones in it, make sure they are set properly).

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Don't listen to what anyone else says. If it's what you want then get it! It's quite rude of them really. One of my friends asked me how much mine was, cheeky cowbag! ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

W T S

I think when it's the one, it's the one and £250 isn't exactly "cheap" IMO - I was watching 16 and pregnant the other day and her ER was $21 from Walmart.! ? If you love it and you know you won't regret not spending more money later on, then go for it. I say << that because I am seriously tight when it comes to spending on "big" things, but then I regret it later when I realise we didn't need to "watch the pennies" so to speak. Not so much with my ER but with things such as dresses for a party, or getting my car fixed etc.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

No way. Mine was actually less and we picked it together as like you I wanted the money towards the wedding.

My ring has always been a sort of stand-in ring. Some point after the wedding we will replace with one that suits my wedding ring better (which I love) and one that OH will choose alone. You can always think of it like that.

Sod everyone else. A ring is what is symbolises and not what it costs x

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Short answer to your question - no!

Honestly, I love my ring (and I know how much it cost) but it wouldn't matter to me if it cost half what it did or twice.

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content

No question.....the ring is GORGEOUS!!!

You're happy and thats al that matters!

x

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, the cost doesn't matter.

Personally I would be uncomfortable wearing something every day which was worth more than about £500.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

That's really nice, I would follow your heart and go for it! What's the point in buying another ring just to please others if you really want this one?

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Mine cos my OH around £100. Its the ring I wanted (When I was dropping hints)

He went back to the shop and bought it. Thats what matters...HE bought it! Sod the price - its not important! If you love it, then doesnt matter what others think!

PLUS theres always the feeling that if its an expensive ring and you loose it youre going to be loosing a LOT of money...I dont like expensive jewellerry becuase of that reason alone lol xx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

It's the sentiments behind the choosing and the giving of the ring that it symbolises that matters - not the price tag.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The price really is irrelevant. The fact that time and thought has gone into choosing a ring you like is what matters. I think I read that the myth of an engagement ring should equate to 1 months wages, dates back to the days when wages were a hell of a lot lower. I would rather a ring I love than a ring putting my fiancee in debt, unless he can afford it then thats a different matter.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What matters is the sentiment. No one should be made to feel bad about how little, or indeed, how much, their ring cost.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Of course it doesn't matter, I hate the fact that there is snobbism applied to engagement rings (I think it is tacky to "expect" your h2b to pay x amount). The fact is, your boyfriend proposed because he wanted to marry you, the ring is the symbol of this. If you go out thinking, "right, he has to spend x thousand pounds" then that totally detracts from the sentiment IMO.

I have a beautiful 18K white gold vintage cluster ring, it is beautiful and I love it. I know it will have been much less than £1000, I don't know how much it costs, all that matters is that he spent ages looking for the perfect ring and when he found it he knew that he wanted to propose. What I hate is that people ask me what kind of metal it is (the are obviously trying to to see if it is platinum and expensive) it is rude and nosy ?

All people should be saying is, "ooh, what a beautiful engagement ring."?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, im glad its not just me being stingy. My oh was a bit surprised when i showed him the ring as he expected to pay around a grand, but he said at the end of the day if thats what i love thats all that matters. I dont get the ring snobbery thats all! xx

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

I dont think the price matters AT ALL... I actually know someone who is married to a multi-millionaire (true story) and her engagement and wedding ring dont total more than £500, when they were bought her husband wasnt a millionaire and she refuses to change them because of the sentiment behind them

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

P.S - It may be worth bearing in mind that a wedding band could potentially be a bit costly as its likely you would need one designs to fit beside the ring you have flashed...

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know thats the one thing im not 100% with as i dont wanna spend an absolute fortune having a ring made for it... How much can that cost does anyone know while im on the subject?

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Not at all! Well not to me anyway. My ER cost OH about £120, and he chose it himself and bought it as a ring to propose with, with the idea being that we would go shopping together for a more expensive one.

Once he'd proposed, I couldn't bear the thought of wearing a ring other than the one he gave me. I love it, its beautiful and yes I've had some people turn their nose up at it not costing one months salary but they can stuff it haha! Cos the sentimental value to me means more than any monetary value.

We're planning to spend a little extra on the wedding rings instead I think, and will have to as my ER is an unusual shape!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lillibet, what does yours look like? I like the sound of it!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

may not be as much as you think. Go to an independent jewellers, much cheaper! If you have any family white gold (I had my gran's ring) you can melt it down and it will be even cheaper. We used old family gold and white gold and it cost £90 for the two!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Me too i love unusual shaped rings!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unless it's added to the home contents insurance. You'd be surprised at how many people don't do this. My friend lost hers and had to fork out for a new one, poor gal. She'd only had it a few weeks as well!

ETA - Her fiance didn't have any home contents insurance at the time - mad man! He does now, and the second ring has been added on.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Price to have a WR made will vary on material, but shouldn't be too costly. We used Smooch to design both of our wedding bands and it came in at under £900, but both were 18ct gold and H2B's has 5 diamonds in his

x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Ily said. Definitely worth adding it to your insurance, regardless of value (even if it is 'only' a few hundred quid, you're relying on always having the dosh to be able to replace it).

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Just to add - my WR costs more than my ER.

My ER is a twist shape (it's my avatar) and so to have my WR made specially shaped to fit my ER with the diamonds I wanted cost quite a bit. The most I was quoted was £1,200. I could have had it for £650 but went somewhere inbetween as I felt they had the best quality.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Good point..I wander if we have contents insuance... lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics