Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missus S

Does the price of an engagement ring really matter?

Missus S, 17 January, 2011 at 11:15

Posted on Planning 64

Just the above really? We havent got my ring yet but the one i have fallen in love with is £250. Certain friends and family have pulled some funny faces, frowned and said he cant possibly spend that little on my engagement ring. Am i just cheap?! Id rather have that extra £1000 to put toward a...

Just the above really? We havent got my ring yet but the one i have fallen in love with is £250. Certain friends and family have pulled some funny faces, frowned and said he cant possibly spend that little on my engagement ring. Am i just cheap?! Id rather have that extra £1000 to put toward a wedding or honeymoon! Fair enough if you love a ring at a grand or two but surely i shouldnt be made to feel my e/r is horrible - even though its beaut - just cos its 'cheap'?

64 replies

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Here it is ? No off the shelf shaped wedding rings fit neatly around the swirly bit, so I think its gonna have to be a custom jobby...

Shelley I love that ring you flashed. Definitely go for it if its what you want! If its from a shop, maybe you could try it on with some of their wedding rings to see if any of them would fit?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think that's lovely Lillibet, very unsual (in a good way!)

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

Mine was only £110 and I chose it. I wanted to put the money towards upgrading the wedding band that I would have got if we spent loads on my ER so I suppose that my ER has only had a tempory job as my nice new WR will replace it. OH has promised to buy me a nice sparkly eternity ring on our anniversary to make it up to me though lol

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

When I bought my b2b's engagement ring, I specifically chose F Hinds jewellers to get it from.

Why? I could use my Barclaycard to buy it, and get £20 worth of reward points back Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

How rude of your family/friends! My answer to them would be, so what? If you like it, and your OH likes it, it doens't matter.

My engagement ring cost £150 and I love it (my WR has been bought in the sale - £115). Everyone who has seen my ER has said it's lovely (except OH's nan, but that's just her).

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a beautiful ring. Like others have said, it's the thought not the cash!

We went ring shopping together, and had agreed a budget together. (We share absolutely all our money, although he was actually using some money he'd saved previously.) My ring actually cost about £500 less than what we'd budgeted for it, but it's not important; I didn't go looking to spend as much of his money as I could, we just wanted to choose a lovely ring we both loved and that ring happened to not be so expensive as we were willing to pay. More money for the wedding/house deposit!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

That's a beautiful ring!!!!

The cost really doesn't matter. My ex fiance chose me a ring, purely because it cost a fair bit, and he could brag about it. Not because he knew i'd love it.

This time round, i've told my OH that i'm not bothered about cost, as long as he takes the time to really choose something he knows i'd love, as that's the most important thing.

I do joke that he needs to spend a months wages, and if he gets a good month with loads of comission he can get me the £45,000 Tiffany ring I like ?

As long as you love it, the cost is unimportant

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

We've not told OHs family how much my ring cost for exactly this reason. People can be such snobs when it comes to these things! My ring cost £300 and do I care? Do I heck!! He proposed and wants to spend the rest of his life with me, nothing else matters!!! It's what the ring symbolises not the cost that matters. To be honest, very few people have asked how much the ring cost, I know I would never dream of asking anyone how much their ring cost! If you love it then get it! But follow the advice of the other ladies, get it on your contents insurance!

• T
    Beginner August 2012
    tinkissarah ·
    • Hide content

Price is irrelevant if you ask me. What you like is most important. My engagement ring was £225 and I love it. I've seen rings for £1000's of pounds which are no where near as nice as my ring.

• MrsKeating2B
    Beginner April 2011
    MrsKeating2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or you could just get your ER a half size up and get your band to fit under like i did.. this is my ER.. whic is similar shape..

• Tanya77
    Beginner August 2011
    Tanya77 ·
    • Hide content

The price of anything is irrelevant - my ring cost a LOT more than I had expected OH to pay, but I probably wouldn't have let him spend that much if it was down to me! I only found out how much it cost when I went to insure it and wondered how long he'd had to save to pay for it.

However, my mum offered to pay for my dress and I eventually found my dream one on the sale rail in a bridal shop for £150! It is a 'proper' wedding dress, but it's pink (which is probably why no one else wanted it!!!) It will need a few adjustments, but I tried on loads more that cost over £1000 and liked this one the best. I wouldn't have wanted my mum to struggle to pay for something I'll only be wearing for a few hours anyway. No one will ever know how cheap it was (although I am a bargain hunter, so will probably end up telling them anyway!)

?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have a ring that sticks out. I tried on some shaped rings and didn't like them. The jeweller took a little nick out of the ER setting (he said it wouldn't really weaken it) so it sits atop my WR perfectly. The WR is a plain and 2mm white gold band. :-)

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I've had sort-of similar comments... more relating to our ages. We're both 22 and I've only just graduated, and people have said "your rocks are very big considering how young you both are... WE got engaged young too and my diamond is much smaller... etc etc" ...yes, and what?! We spent what we could afford and what we wanted to! My diamonds aren't huge anyway, they're both 0.25 which fits my finger nicely... I wouldn't have wanted bigger or smaller, I just want MY ring which he picked out for me iyswim...

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £300 and if he had spent any more i would not be wearing it! simple as that.... I have seizures and the few things that worry me are being mugged mid seizure! so i wouldn't wear expensive jewellery - wear what you like you are the one that has to wear it!

• L
    Beginner March 2012
    Leabee28 ·
    • Hide content

Of course it doesnt!!! You are happy with it and that is what matters it just needs to be a forever ring because I personally dont ever want to change mine as I cant imagine any other ring feeling so special, Mine was a lot more than I expected and the only people who know the price are me and OH and the insurance company it is no one elses business!!!! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring was pretty much free- and far more sentimental!!- the diamond was origionally in an earing of my Grans (who passed away in March) and OH had the stone taken and put into a simple plain band setting- i don't even know what metal it is (sneeky suspicion white gold but not sure) but after hearing OH tell me the story behind it I would never change my ring even if we win the lottery as it is perfect and personal and the effort he went to was amazing (his idea of romance is him cooking once a week!!)- So no it dosn't matter the price and to be honest all the big diamond one's i've seen (think WAG's) are actually pretty horrid!!

• Jayned
    Beginner May 2001
    Jayned ·
    • Hide content

It really doesn't matter if an engagement is £100 or £15000, it's what it symbolises that's important.

We haven't a lot of money & my diamond ER cost £150 and to me it's the most beautiful ring in the world ?

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

What everyone else said. Price doesn't matter and it's rude of anyone to comment or ask about the price of a ring.

I found out by accident what my ring cost and I wouldn't have let my OH spend that much had I had any say. Now I have it though I wouldn't change it for the world, just as I am sure nobody else would.

I did love him even more however when he admitted that he got it at sale price, and also got airmiles for it which will result in us being able to upgrade to a better class of seats on honeymoon flights!! I knew some of my money saving ways would rub off eventually - ha ha!

I also agree, whatever the cost to get in on contents insurance. I lost mine for 45 minutes one day (in the house) when I took it off to do the washing up. I nearly had a panic attack as it wasn't insured yet. Not likely to repeat that experience in a hurry!

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

that is mine. It was under £50. To me the price means nothing. My engagement ring means everything to me. I've been married before, and the g*t i married insisted on a £400 engagement ring, sure it was pretty but i cleaned the house, the toilet etc and changed dirty nappies for a living wearing it.

The value of a ring shouldn't make any difference, if you like a particular ring who cares what other people think. It's what you like Smiley laugh

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I was with my OH when he bought my ER from the Jewellery Quarter in Brum. I knew what shape I wanted - princess cut on a half twist claw setting & I knew it had to be platinum as it's needs to be hard wearing to cope with being around horses. We looked at diamonds before we looked at rings ranging between 1/4 carat & 1.5 carat. I decided that I would rather have a better quality but smaller stone. Huge diamonds IMO can look ostentatious & wouldn't really suit my coun'ry bumpkin image.

My ring ended up costing £1350 is pretty much the most I would be comfortable wearing due to the fact that I spend hours each day caked in mud & horse sh1te. OH was expecting to pay about £4500 -£6k as that is what most of his friends have paid & as they are all in the RAF on the same rank they all earn pretty much the same.

I think OH was fairly suprised I didn't want something 1 carat upwards as he was willing to buy it for me but when I went into the jewellers my ring came from it immediately caught my eye despite only being a .53 carat. OH dragged me off to look at about another 50 rings in other shops after seing my ring but I knew it was the 'one' for me. Yes, OH's friends wives have all got bigger, flasher rings than me but I have got a ring which feels right for me. Anything bigger just wouldn't have been practical & I would be scared wearing thousands of pounds worth of ring on my finger when I'm constantly having to scrape mud off my hands in winter!

God, that turned into an essay! But to cut a long story short, if it feels like the ring for you then what does it matter if it doesn't cost as much as other people think it should cost? You are the person who will be wearing it so it is whatever feels like it belongs on your finger - not what your mum/best friend/great aunt Edna all think. Just don't tell them how much it cost & if they do make any comment just tell them to get lost!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I think all these ladies have said it before me but how rude are your friends and family? Its none of anyones business how much rings cost and really who has a clue how much a ring costs by looking at it? Mine cost more than I ever thought MrMini would spend but as alot of people have said the main thought is that he spent months searching for one and when he saw it he knew I would love it.

Sid the rest of them, have the ring you like. For what its worth I think its lovely. Very unsual which is the main thing I look for.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

I think your ring is lovely..........im still waiting on my fiance getting mine after i proposed (he has a plain silver band that i got him).....he did say he wanted to save for a few months tbh i dont really care how much it costs it the fact it will be from him and he chose it for me that matters, not the price tag.

get your ring!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I can only really agree with the others - it is the sentiment that counts...

My H2B had my ring made for me (his friend is a jeweller) and whilst I have absolutely no idea how much it cost, the fact that he sat and chose the exact diamond that he wanted for me means the world to me... my ring is irreplaceable because of that. It is white gold which surprises a lot of people, they seem to expect platinum now...

No-one else should ever ask how much your ring cost... that is just rude.

• U
    Beginner August 2011
    universa_2k ·
    • Hide content

As far as I am concerned it doesnt matter how much it cost as long as you like it! Mine was about £60 from Argos and i'm more than happy ?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

The cost and the value are different things! It doesn't matter what your ER actually cost in £s it's the sentimental value to you thats important.

People who want to know how much it cost are only being snobby, and TBH a bit rude. I've no idea what mine cost (I have a rough idea though), but the fact that my OH spent 2 months learning about diamonds and finding the stone means more to me than the amount he spent.

• IDoWeddings
    IDoWeddings ·
    • Hide content

No it doesn't matter - If you love it, he loves you and wants you to have it because he wants to be with you and marry you - then who cares about the cost. You are the one who has to wear it everyday!

I still glance at mine and get surprised! It's not huge blingey thing as I didnt want anything stupid, its a lovely diamond that we went together to choose and the band is a bit different as it's a little old fashioned. I personally dont like diamonds held by claws. They look great on others but I love mine, we all have our own taste.

I know that some people have turned their noses up at the setting of mine, even one woman in a shop when i explained how i wanted it set. Unprofessional or what??

You what though - I LOVE IT and so does he so that's all that matters.

• maribelle
    Beginner June 2012
    maribelle ·
    • Hide content

People like that are just snobs. Ignore them.

The ring is beautiful. I've seen expensive rings that aren't anywhere near as nice as the ring you've chosen.

My fiancé has given me his late grandmother's engagement ring, which in monetary terms, is very valuable. However, I've had comments from people saying, 'couldn't he be bothered to even buy you your own ring, what a cheap skate?!'. I, of course, don't see it like that. I'm incredibly honoured that he loves me enough to present me with a ring that once belonged to someone so important to him.

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My word, that is absolutely terrible that people would say that to you, I'm just speechless, I know people can be unkind with words but thats just awful. I seriously hope you have cut them out of your life!!

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It's a very lovely ring and I agree with the others, it's what it means that is the most important. I just wouldn't want mine to be of bad quality (irrespective of price) as it would really upset me if it broke. Smiley sad Mine's from the Jewellery Quarter too. Don't trust high street jewellers anymore (won't go there)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics