Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Dreading wedding dress shopping -update- with flash, please help me pick dress!

20 of April of 2011 at 22:56 Posted on Planning 0 27

I'm off wedding dress shopping for the first time with my Mum in a week and I am dreading it... I'm a size 12-14, fairly curvy and could do with shifting a few pounds, and I'm scared stiff I won't find a dress that makes me feel a million dollars. Same old story as many I'm sure- moved in with the OH, lots of takeaways and nice nights in, and a stone later... here I am! I'm trying to do something about it (although my willpower isn't great atm) but I am dreading the thought of a day in dresses in front of a mirror feeling fat.

Has anyone been in the same position as me and was it as bad as you were expecting? (Please say no!)

Hi ladies (and of course gents)

I have returned from my shopping trip, and am delighted to say, you were all right, and can all say i told you so!! My Mum and I went to 2 shops and found one dress in each shop we really like, so a bit of a decision has to be made. The first shop were lovely and made me feel so at ease, and the dress I liked there, and the only one that made my mum cry, was a Maggie Sottero 'Naomi'. Never anything I would have picked in a million years, and the model photo doesn't do it justice but here it is anyway:

The 2nd shop, the sales assistant was a bit abrupt and unfortunately made me a bit conscious of my belly, but I have to say the dress she picked fitted beautifully and accentuated all the right bits. That was a Pronovias 'Almata'. I'd remove the embellishment around the hip on this one and replace it with something a bit more me.

Here is is: (sorry about size!)

The Maggie is £840 and the Pronovia is £1100 (ouch) however she said she would sell me the sample dress for £900, and it would need very little adjustments made (however am I right in thinking 20% is not that big a discount for a sample dress?)

So, I am over the moon that dress shopping was an enjoyable experience and I actually felt amazing in some of the things i tried... but I now have to decide which one to go for. The Maggie is, I think, quite unusual which appeals to me, but the Pronovias was so simple and elegant, and the train hooked up to a really nice style which is good for the evening.

Agh confusion! Which one do you all prefer?

27 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 17:12
  • E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

I was terrified of the big dress shopping day for similar reasons but there really is nothing to worry about. I went with my mum and then with my mum and dad the second time. Both can be very blunt in telling me I need to lose a few pounds but they were both really well behaved and ensured I felt special. You'll have a great day and you will find that dress. It might not be in the first shop but you'll feel like a princess when you walk out in it! Good luck...

p.s. wedding dresses look better with curves!

• jojobride
    Beginner February 2012
    jojobride ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it will be roseability! I have the same situation as you - I'm a 12/14 (14/16 on the bottom on a bad day) and I could stand to lose a stone (she says, sipping Baileys...)

I went to about eight shops, and in NONE of them did I feel fat. Noone said anything hurtful, and a few dresses (fishtail ones) didn't fit, but they just whisked them off and came back with nicer ones that did.

You'll look lush, and woe betide anyone who says differently, I will hunt them down and give them a right old poke in the eye if they do.

Have fun! xxxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Women look better with curves...

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I was dreading going wedding dress shopping so my friend gave me the following advice that she wished someone had given her:

1) Don't panic.

2) Only try on dresses that will suit your shape.

3) Wedding dress sizes are completely different to normal clothes sizes.

4) She is bigger up top than down below and when she tried a dress on with a zip, it wouldn't do up and she wished she'd gone for a lace up style and never tried a zipped up dress on.

You'll be fine and maybe, like me, you'll only try two dresses on as the first one you tried on was perfect and the second one was tried on 'just to make sure'.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a size 18 and was totally dreading dress shopping. The thought of taking my clothes off in front of someone else terrified me! But I found it to be a pleasant experience and enjoyed it after I got over the initial nervousness. I suggest you try on as many different styles and fabrics as possible, that way you will get an idea of what you want.

Also go with an open mind. The dress that I had in mind didn't suit me at all! I ended up going to something I never thought I would have gone for! x

• chapagne10812
    Beginner August 2012
    chapagne10812 ·
    • Hide content

I went shopping last week with my MOH and i was sooo worried i wouldnt like anything and wouldnt look good. The 1st dress i tried on was very princessy which hid my curves well. but then i tried on a more fitted lace maggie sotterro dress and it was gorgeous.

i was always embarressed by my womanly hips but they looked amazing, so everyone in the shop said! i know it is the ONE but im still lookin as its £1400. The woman in the shop said that size 6s dont do the dresses justice.

just enjoy it, its an amazing experience : )

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

Roseability - how did it all go? Hate to say it but bet we were all right and there was nothing to dread.

• VeeDubLuv
    Beginner November 2012
    VeeDubLuv ·
    • Hide content

Hun I feel the same as you!

Im off dress shopping as well next weekend but after hearing all the positive comments from our fellow hitchers Im feeling a lot more confident and looking forward to it now! Im a size 16 (was a size 20) and loving my new curves!!!!

xxx

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes - you did say in your original post. Sometimes I'm too dizzy for my own good.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

I got my sample dress for half price

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Agreed if mine was only £200 I would have prefered it new too.

If they are not doing that line anymore it could be worth it to wait and see if you can get it cheaper from her later on. There is the chance that someone else will buy it though.

You could also just be upfront with her and tell her you would give her XXXX to take it away today - its worth a chance i think

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

The first one is my fav!!!

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I like the Maggie best aswell, lovely, lovely. Although both are beautiful

I also wish to note that thin brides can look just as lovely as curvy brides.

A point I have raised before, and will raise again.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Oooo love the first dress, it's gorgeous! x

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHS!!!

• Em1982
    Beginner
    Em1982 ·
    • Hide content

Definately the first it is absolutely gorgeous!!!! real dress envy!!!

• B
    Beginner August 2011
    babyk2006 ·
    • Hide content

Hey all sorry to but in on the converation and go way of topic... i freaked thinking i would never find a dress. i tried cheap shopping ebay n them china sites first all terrible quality and bad reviews.. so so went town shopping all not that good a make.. anyway tyried on loads and hated them all wnt into bertex bride very quality and brought the first dress i tried on!!

now i just dont think it looks nce on me and well jst isnt my fairy wedding gown.. i want a princess one.. tried one on yesterday and its perfect!!! so want to sell my dress lol.. i get married june 30th.. cutting it fine but gonna try sell it.. its a lynette and joelle dress 10-12 can be 14 as corsette back... still on bertex website.. mine is the light gold colour though.. brought for 1400.. will sell for 700 but that the lowest i will go for it.. it still has tags and in bertex bag... please call ****.. if you know anyone who would be interested..

ow and lesson to be lernt never rush into gettingf your wedding dress!!! xx

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I was exactly the same as you. I was in a mad panic about it so I had a "TRIAL" wedding dress shopping day just to get me over the fear of trying on dresses. Got a dress that same "TRIAL" day and I love it!

I prefer the second one of your flashes

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh, LOVE the first dress!!!!xxx

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

I love the 1st dress. I also noticed that you said the staff were lovely in th shop which had the Maggie dress for me this was so important as you have quite a bit of deallings with them and u should feel relaxed!! They should in no way make you feel stressed out about the whole thing!!!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im a maggie bride & love the dresses but I actually prefer the 2nd one....though i'd be cheeky & try to get it for £600 / £700! Is it in really good condition?

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Pronovias all the way! Cant help on the price issue though sorry x

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I love the 1st one but that's probably because I love all Maggie dresses. Which one did you feel more comfortable in? Do you think there's any wiggle room on the price of the 2nd one?

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am also having difficulty, i want to lose some weight before the wedding but dont know whether to go dress shopping now or wait until ive lost a stone or 2!!

Any advice??

PS love the maggie dress!!

xxx

• E
    Beginner October 2011
    englishrosebride ·
    • Hide content

So glad the shopping went well for you.

Really love the Maggie dress. Gorgeous!

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content

I absolutely adore the pronovias one, I think it's effortlesly elegant and quite unusual.

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

i tried on the maggie dress it truly is a stunning dress i loved it however went with a different maggie dress in the end good luck xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics