Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Dedicated October 2022 Surrey

Dream dress doesn't exist

Lisa, 19 of April of 2022 at 22:34 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 18
I had no intention of wearing a wedding dress but I've been cajoled into it. However, I am having so much trouble finding one!

The first issue is a common one - bingo wings
Second issue - I'm very heavily tattooed on my arms, collarbone & back. They aren't, for the most part, very feminine tattoos either.
Why do all dress designers seem to believe that if you want a sleeve then you must want a cut out somewhere else? Why can't someone make a truly modest dress!
Rant over

18 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 5 of May of 2022 at 14:27
  • A
    Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    Don't panic! I'm sure you'll find one - or perhaps maybe you should go with what you originally wanted and not wear a wedding dress, if that's what you truly want?

Have you had a look on ASOS? I'm not sure what style you're going for but they have a few Boho stye dresses with sleeves that are quite modest like these:
    https://www.asos.com/asos-edition/asos-edition-grace-lace-long-sleeve-crop-top-maxi-wedding-dress/prd/14108905?clr=ivory&colourWayId=16592024&cid=21606

https://www.asos.com/asos-edition/asos-edition-elizabeth-beaded-bodice-wedding-dress/prd/12855467?clr=ivory&colourWayId=16472959&cid=21606
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, I have looked at all the high street/online as well as wedding boutique. I'm just frustrated as a short, chunky bride who wants to cover up neck to toe haha
  • A
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh bless, I'm sure you'll find the perfect dress. Do you mind me asking what you originally wanted to do instead of a traditional wedding dress?
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was going to wear a jumpsuit, I tried a few but didn't find one quite right. I then actually bought a gorgeous burgundy satin evening gown that my H2B chose. Our venue changed & with that the whole feel of the wedding got a little more traditional & formal than the very casual day we originally planned & he confessed that he'd quite like to see me in a proper wedding dress & it would be nice to look back on in pictures. Just to complicate it further the wedding is in October so choices are more limited due to ordering times.
  • A
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that's a shame the venue changed as you say the whole vibe can change because of that. Have you considered applying makeup over your tattoos to allow you more range of dresses if your tattoos showing is an issue?

It may be worth trying out WED2B with your wedding being so close if you haven't already? If not, maybe message around a few wedding boutiques before going to see if they have any more fully covered dresses that will arrive on time (or are off the peg).
    Alternatively the place you got the burgundy gown... would they be able to do the same dress in ivory/white?
    Sorry I couldn't help more, but I am certain you will find the perfect dress! 😊
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My future MIL & I are checking out a couple of charity wedding shops next weekend & if we find nothing we will head to WED2B. I'd be happy just to find something that would work with a little jacket tbh as that would solve the coverage issue. Ultra low backs or massive amounts of cleavage just seem to be a big thing right now.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Thats exactly it, if they give you fabric on the arm they seem to take it away from the back 😂

I'm actually not bothered about my lower arm tattoos being on show but my Dad is so I'm trying to please everyone. I definitely don't want my back on show though as although what's there is meaningful to me it's not the prettiest design.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Haha I know my seamstress will have her work cut out with me, whatever I choose will need a ton of work as I'm only 4'11", luckily I have a wonderful lady 😊
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    Https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1040417795/elegant-simple-wedding-dress-modest

Have a look at this, it's very simple and modest too!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    This sounds daft but have you tried amazon they have ever pretty dresses i got mine of there just meeds a bit of altering x💗
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats pretty much perfect! Thanks for sending it, I didnt think of etsy!
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have, I was a bit wary though as every piece of clothing I've ever ordered from an amazon seller has been awful. Good to know you've had a good experience with it, might be worth another look, thanks x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no i love it couldnt fault it only thing is the size im going to get it altered its exactly what i wanted x💗
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're welcome, I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    Have you looked at Monsoon? They do some really good floaty sleeve dresses as I also struggle with my upper arms and they don’t tend to have parts cut out!
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did look at monsoon, some of their styles could be options if I don't find something more structured
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great. I’m going with Monsoon as we are having a small wedding and they’re very budget friendly.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Alie Street (aliestreet.com) have some with sleeves - they don't all show the back very clearly, but you could always ask if you see one you like what the back is like. Or maybe get a jacket or cape to cover it up. Ivy & Oak Bridal (ivy-oak.com) also have some with sleeves. Or Phase Eight has a couple of long sleeved ones, including one with a high back.

Alternatively, find a local seamstress who can fill in the back/front for you on one that has sleeves.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics