Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snowby
Beginner September 2013

Dress designers under £1000

Snowby, 20 August, 2012 at 21:57 Posted on Planning 0 21

Might be a tad early for me to start thinking about wedding dresses but I just can't wait any longer! ?

I know it's a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' but was wondering if anyone could give me the names of a few designers whose dresses generally fall under the £1000 mark (This is the ABSOLUTE maximum I'm prepared to spend and hopefully considerably less!). I guess I'm just trying to avoid the scenario of getting into a shop where the rails are filled with £2000 dresses!

I can totally understand why places don't put prices on their websites but it's bleeding annoying!

21 replies

Latest activity by xlovebirdsx, 23 August, 2012 at 08:52
  • gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

I think the maximum price in the Pure Bridal range is £750 or so - they're part of the Romantica of Devon family and I think the prices are fairly similar.

Some of the Ronald Joyce dresses are under £1k - I have ordered Connie which is £980 (in my shop anyway) but others are a bit more (eg Livia is about £1200).

HTH as a start Smiley smile

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a White One by Pronovias and it was £825 as were a lot of the others in the range.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

It's not too early...I'm getting married next October and have already been to a couple of shops. More so so I can get an aides of what suits me as I'm quite fussy (and I'm not sure I'm any nearer working it out).

I think Maggie Sottero dresses are quite reasonable, as are Justin Alexander.

You could also look around the £1200 mark, and a) negotiate on price, or b) look on preloved, eBay etc to find a more reasonable price.

• ~Lee~
    Beginner October 2012
    ~Lee~ ·
    • Hide content

You're definitely not too early. I started at 8 months and was told mine would need to be a rush order! Mine was maagie sottero Maude and was £980. I didn't see the price tag until after I had tried it on and my friend and I tried to guess the price while i had it on and we thought about £2k based on the other dresses I tried.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lovely dress, I love a maggie.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

This is good advice as you may have a style in your head but get to the shop and realise its not what you want (i didn't want a princess dress but I came out with one) I chose Mori Lee 1612 and it was £1,080 however I negotiated and got the sample dress for £800.

• charliebucket
    Beginner May 2013
    charliebucket ·
    • Hide content

My Dress was Ellis and was £900 if thats any help Smiley smile

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a Sottero & Midgeley. Was quoted £1050 in the first shop, but got it for £930 in another. Got extra discount for paying upfront

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    Rachel88 ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Northern Ireland and a lot of bridal shops over here now do packages...you can get your dress, 2 bridesmaid dresses, shoes and a head piece for around 1100/1200 ! It might be worth having a wee look if there are any shops that do that kind of deal. The tricky part with it is that you need to find bridesmaid dresses you want in that same shop. Sorry i'm not really clued in on how much different designers cost! xoxo

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Mines romantica of devon for £850, but I also looked at maggie sottero, dzage, sincerity and mori lee which were under £1000. Dzage i believe was the cheapest at around the £5-600 mark the rest all over £700 with the maggie I liked being top at £990 before alterations. I also tried a justin alexander dress which was around £1050 so just over but I guess if I asked i might have been able to get under £1000.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You could have it made for under £1000 but I only know someone in Birmingham. Might be worth looking into?

• N
    Beginner April 2013
    Ness999 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not too early! I ordered mine in May and it wont arrive until November! Not a problem as I'm getting married in April so plenty of time to sort shoes and accessories etc. I was also surprised how much easier other things became once I knew what my dress was like.

I had a budget of £800, somewhat challenging! I did my best to only try on dresses under £1000 but that wasnt easy. In the end I found a local dressmaker who does great wedding dresses for under £500. Only then did I try on everything knowing she could make something similar if tbe real deal was over budget. Then I discovered Maggie Sottero. Not all are under £1000 but a lot are and I think the most expensive was £1200. I found my dream dress for £880 and as I paid a deposit at the first fitting got 10% off, so right on budget! Its also worth noting that a good bridal boutique will work within your budget.

Good luck and happy dress hunting!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I get married next August and went this March & put a deposit down on a dress but changed my mind and went back yesterday and found another. Some can take several months to arrive so it's not too early to start looking.

My original was Sonsie by Veromia which is a plus size range but that was £720, Veromia dresses would be a similar price.

Changed to a Hilary Morgan dress which was £600.

When you go into a shop just say that £1,000 is your maximum budget & you don't want to see dresses above that

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh this was the dress I was deliberating over!!! I picked a COMPLETELY different style in the end, but I was SO torn. It is STUNNING! I remember trying it on and thinking, this must be expensive, but was shocked that it was under £1000.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely a good idea to be clear in your mind about how much you're willing or able to spend, before you start!

Don't forget to cost in the price of alterations... could be up to £150? Plus of course I'm sure you've allowed for a veil, tiara, etc or whatever else you want.

I tried on a Sincerity dress which was under £800, also a few by Ellis Bridal and Mark Lesley which were all under £1000. But others in the Mark Lesley range were up to £1500 (and they were the ones I really liked - gah!).

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not too early, my wedding is next September and I have already ordered my dress.

My dress is Mori Lee and its around £800 but we got a discount for paying in full. I looked at Maggie Sottero Madison in one shop for £750ish and the Deidre in another shop for just over 1K.

Shops do charge different prices so it may be worth looking around.

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thanks for all your responses - they're all really helpful. Some names here that I've not heard of before so I'll check them out. Also, really excited that some of you have mentioned designers I love the look of but have, for whatever reason, just assumed would be out of my price range. And will definitely take the advice about starting early and set up a few appointments ASAP - like I needed much encouragement! ?

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

My dress was £900 and was Ronald Joyce.

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

I know, it drives me mad that they don't put the prices on their websites. I mean although I am a bit flexible if I find one I love I'm not going to love one enough to spend a really daft amount of money on it! It really puts me off even enquiring as it could end up being a total waste of time if they are all overbudget.

I am really not excited about looking for a dress. I love dresses but whenever I need to buy an item of clothing I can never find it Smiley sad

• M
    Beginner July 2013
    midlandsbride2013 ·
    • Hide content

I was BM dress shopping earlier this week and came across a way of saving on a wedding dress if you wanted to. We thought one of the BM dresses we looked at, looked rather like a wedding dress and said this to the shop lady. Her reply was that most BM dresses can be bought in white/ivory and she has actually done one for a bride before! Obviously they are plainer and not so fitted as some wedding dresses but for someone looking for a pretty yet fairly cheap option it would be ideal!

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

My Mori Lee was £700 x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics