Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kayleigh
Rockstar October 2023 Bristol

Dress dilemma

Kayleigh, 9 of February of 2022 at 09:00 Posted on Planning 0 8
I've still got what feels like a million years to go, but I've suddenly wondered if my dress choice is right... I've always been completely set on a black dress, now I'm second guessing my choice... I'm not sure if I've just naturally gravitated away from the idea or if it's a societal pressure issue, but I was totally sure and now I'm not 😩

8 replies

Latest activity by Michael, 28 of April of 2022 at 16:16
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    I think this is a phase a lot of us go through! Maybe not the “should my dress be black or white” part but certainly “did I choose the right dress?” When I feel that way, I think back to trying the dress on and remember my thoughts and feelings at the time, and the reactions of my Mum, MoH, and MIL2B. And then I feel better and remember why I chose my dress. I hope that helps!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Have you tried any yet? I thought no you need to see how you feel once in a black dress and go from there. If it is too much you could have ivory or white and then have a sheer black panel added or overlay.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Your dream has always been a black dress the pressure from others can push you to change your mind but is this what you really want to be pushed into something you arent comfortable with please think about it if your not sure try the black and then a white in the style that you love and see how you feel xxxx💗
  • Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Thank ladies 🥰
    I'm overthinking it for sure - black has always been my dream dress colour, but all the waiting around to buy one is making me question xz
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Totally understand hope you make the right decision for you not for others xxxx💗
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I chose my dress last weekend - it's not as dramatic a buck from tradition as your black dress dream, but it's very lacey and floaty boho with the lace being ivory but the underskirt that you see through it a kind of blush-ish gold, so not the traditional stark white satin number or tulle princess gown.

The stylist at the bridal boutique gave me some great advice, which might help you too:

Firstly to only bring at maximum 2-3 people shopping with me, and only people I trusted to be honest but keen to stick to my personal vision and not get distracted thinking about what they would go for. I wound up taking just my dad for this reason - and he was great!

Secondly, she advised me not to share round photos of my dress or talk about my vision too liberally with friends and family, so the only people I've shown are my three bridesmaids after prefacing the photos with 'this is my vision and why' - the benefit of this is that the dress remains personal to you, and you stay excited about why you love it, whereas the more people you show and the more time they have to voice an opinion the more ground down you can get and start second guessing yourself. If you wait until the day for everyone to see your dress, and this is the first they've heard of this style being your vision, then they don't have an opportunity to be anything but wowed at how wonderful you look in it! Smiley smile

• Kayleigh
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's actually great advice! Xx
  • Jamie
    Dedicated October 2022 Argyll
    Jamie ·
    • Hide content

I am way late to the game on this chat, but still...

I don't know if you're still looking for a dress at all, but for alternative colour options (including lots of black), I bought mine this weekend at Rock the Frock by a designer called Sweet Caroline Styles , who is US-based but stocked at both RTF stores in the UK (so no pesky customs fees). She REGULARLY has 30% sales on, and basically everything she makes can be done in custom colours.

Worth having a look, especially since you can try them on in RTF in Essex and Cheshire (though not necessarily the colours you'd want).

I went for a very dark green tulle skirt and off-white lacy bodysuit separates in the end, and I'm SO HAPPY with my choices.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics