Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Safyre
Beginner September 2012

Dress disaster. Can I get married in jeans?

Safyre, 17 of September of 2012 at 20:47 Posted on Planning 0 36

Hello everyone,

Wedding is on Friday. It is now Monday night. I am working tomorrow and Wednesday. I just got my dress back from being altered (got a corset back put in, as it was just too tight)

Its awful. The dress originally was perfect on the bust and too tight on my fat belly, and by lacing it up, its now gaping on top, hanging off my shoulders, and the lace up back is bunching up. And its changed the overall hang of the dress and it now doesnt even look nice from the front anymore. I'm like a sausage half out its skin.

Its a complete disaster.

We are being unconventional so no bridesmaids, small wedding, and its H2B who helped me try it on. (He was also there when I bought it) and his reaction, was 'nice'.

I dont want to wear it. It looks stupid, and crap. And I really dont know what else to do. We have no money left in the pot for even a nice dress out a normal shop. I'm a size 24 anyway, and I just honestly dont know what to do. I just want to cry. I had nightmares about getting married in jeans and now its going to come true.

I dont even know why I'm posting this, as its so hopeless. God, what can I do?

36 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 3 of September of 2016 at 16:56
  • T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh no that's terrible - really feel for you

You can get married in whatever you feel comfortable in - there are no rules! Do you have anything in your wardrobe you could accessorize?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I would be taking it back to the place that did the alterations sharp-ish.

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

I dont know how it could be altered any more tho, taking the zip away seems to have taken the shape away, and its like a satin cocoon, i look like a blubbery caterpillar.

I dont tend to wear dresses much, i wear jeans and hoodys and baggy clothes. I hate tight things and most of my clothes hang off my, cos I like them comfortable. I only own one dress, that has a huge rip down the front.

Oh I just cant wear it, its soo bad.

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

Defo get it back to the shop, they might be able to do something, also have a quick look on www.simplybe.co.uk they do some gorgeous wedding dresses and really cheap, order a load (you dont pay up front) and try them all on, you might find one that you love.

I really hope you have the wedding day you dreamed of xx

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Like Kharv said, take it back to the shop first thing-they must be able to do some emergency alterations-call work and tell them you are going to be late and take a leaf out of graceys book- get your Bridezilla out and don't leave the store until they come up with something ! Try not to despair, you still have 3 whole days until the wedding x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Take it back to the shop and show them it on and tell them what you don't like and show them which bits fit differently etc. My dress was altered too tight a few days before the wedding, I made sure I took it back and said I wanted it altered again as they messed up. You'd be surprised how quickly a seamstress can alter things so ring up and make sure she is in and say you are bringing it in to be sorted for your wedding in X days. I wouldn't tell them you are thinking of wearing something else, you picked this dress because you wanted to wear it so get them to sort it. They are the experts and if they thought altering the dress would affect how is sits, looks etc then they should have told you this so you could decide.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Take it back, beg boss for an hour or or something, but get it back to the shop. Even if you do marry in jeans, they can at least compensate you for what they did. Don't accept the shoddy work, complain for all its worth, usually if you kick up enough fuss, it gets you somewhere!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

I have nothing helpful to add but echo find your inner- bridezilla and demand they fix it! I hope you manage to get it sorted out in time, you have 3 whole days, deep breaths, and it will be ok. There will be a solution and you won't get married in your jeans.

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content

Take it back to the shop, you never know what can be done with it. It's worth a try x

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what everyone has said. They need to make up for their error. But also wanted to add this - if you are not happy with your dress anyway, then don't wear it. Wear exactly what you want to, it's your day and nobody says your outfit has to be a wedding dress! Wear what you feel confident and comfortable in. If they alter it and you're happy then great, and if not do what the blimmin heck you please.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I had massive dress disasters in the days before my wedding. I took my dress back to the seamstress on Monday afternoon and had it back, fixed and lovely, Thursday afternoon.

It can be fixed even if you dont think it can, I was sure mine wasnt fixable but the seamstress fixed it.

I dont wear dresses much either, please dont panic, call the seamstress in the morning and see what she says.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Call in sick!! , quite honestly I'd be sick with worry so I'm sure they will understand, then as others have said get back to the seamstress and not a phone call where you can be put off either ...take your dress back in person and show them their mistake. Do you have anyone you can take along for support ???

* crosses all fingers and toes for you *

L x

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I'd take it back too.

But to look on the bright side. I went into John Lewis and bought a dress and needed no alterations. It was blue and black and it was beautiful. It was only £99 and had a little jacket too. If you are being unconventional you could get away with something a bit different, of you can't get your dress fixed. Depending on budget and how much you want to wear a white dress, there are loads of options at short notice ie Jenners, John Lewis, Monsoon.

Good luck and don't settle for nice!!

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

I'm going in tomorrow, will leave work early and go on my way home, I wont even try phoning as she never seems to answer when I phoned during the week (to find out when it would be finished)

I have been trying it again for the past hour or so, to see what I can do. the ribbon in it isnt long enough, so when I put another one i had in the house, it looks a lot better a wee bit looser. I will still need her to alter it as you can see my pants, it needs a bigger modesty panel. I will need to get some spanx tho.

It still looks rubbish from behind, so I'm going to see if I can find a black satin cape (I have a bolero but it doesnt cover enough of the lace up back) and pin it a bit so at least it looks ok from the front. It could end up being a halloween costume cape, but its better than showing the back of the dress.

I would love to go all bridezilla about it, but I would probably just burst into tears. Anyone in the Inverness area want to come hold my hand? Smiley winking

• N
    Beginner April 2013
    Ness999 ·
    • Hide content

How did it go? I hope they were able to fix it for you. I still have my fingers and toes crossed for you xx

• N
    Beginner April 2013
    Ness999 ·
    • Hide content

Oops, just realised it is still Monday! Good luck for tomorrow x

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Try and take someone with you, because if when they sort it they lace you ind you are happy, that person will know how to lace you in to get the same effect.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I hope you managed to get something sorted fingers crossed for you x

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I really truly hope that they sort this out for you. I have everything including my toes crossed for you x

• A
    apuskidu ·
    • Hide content

Could you buy a corset to wear underneath to get the shape back? Also they may be able to advise on how to lace it up properly - this can make a big difference.

• bexjoe
    Beginner May 2013
    bexjoe ·
    • Hide content

I agree, get a white vest top or bodice to wear underneath to stop your skin showing

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Good ideas 3d & apuskidu ! I do hope she manages to get it sorted-we're all rooting for you Safyre x

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

Just wrote a huge reply and lost it, then fell asleep on the couch!

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions!

I went to the shop when I finally got out of work, and it was shut, despite it being during opening hours. I'm having major wobbles about risking leaving the dress there tomorrow, incase I dont get it back in time, or it ends up worse than now, so am not going back again. I then went to a fabric shop to get something to hide my pants myself, and they had nothing! But fabric woman suggested just raiding my wardrobe for something to butcher, so I found an old silk robe that I can hopefully pin in place to hide my pants.

I am still going to go with the idea of wearing a cloak thing as the idea is growing on me. And it will hide my bum!

Speaking of bums, I cant get spanx type pants my size locally so my poor dad hs been sent on a mission to buy me some. He made me email him a picture of what i want to give to the sales assistant so they dont think its for him!

I tried my own corset under the dress, but its steel boned and just sore. (I ended up in A&E on Sunday night with chest pain, which is apparently muscular, but still, scary biscuits) I dont have time to get another as it would be online and I dont have time for delivery now.

Hopefully I wont look too stupid, I'm, just dreading looking hideous on my wedding day, I could cry.

Thanks again Smiley smile

• bexjoe
    Beginner May 2013
    bexjoe ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought of a really long viel to cover it?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I appreciate you might be sensitive about it but any chance of a photo? There are some talented hitchers here who might be able to make good suggestions.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no Smiley sad I was really hoping the seamstress would sort it for you. A cloak is a really good idea so is a really long veil but probably wont go as you dont want a traditional look do you? xxx

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I had a dress that was too tight round the waist too and so had a corset back put in.

when i went to the seamstress who was recommended to me by the dress shop, she said that the best way to get a proper fit at the top, is to not just put a corset back in, but to then take the top of the dress in slightly just under the armpits, which brings the bust in where it would gape otherwise.

she did this for me and it cost £40 in total and looked like the dress was made for me by the end of it.

the taking it in at the armpits is the easy bit compared to putting a corset in, so go and see any seemstress you can in your local area, whether it be an aunt or a friend of a family who is good with a sewing maching, or to a dry cleaners or dress company who offers alteration services.

let them know the issue and the timescale you have and im sure they will do what they can for you.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Get some safety pins and bring it in on the side seams as suggested. Stitch the extra modesty fabric to the panel and maybe try taking a long length of fabric, stitching across top of dress, then again below laces and let it create a train. Could be a coloured chiffon. You said you have no budget for another dress, can you buy a party dress for the reception so you can change if you are uncomfortable? Keep the receipt and I'm sure a hitcher with legal expertise can advise you on writing a letter to get comp. understandably you can't deal with it now but please don't let them get away with it.

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

Thank you

I'll try pinning it in at the sides too, that will probably help. I thought about a long veil but I have a lovely wee blusher veil, and I really like it!

I dont really want to flash it until it looks better, will maybe flash after the fact! (Which I know will be pointless, but I dont want anyone seeing me looking cr@p!)

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Hey Safyre, sorry you had no joy with the store- you sound a bit better about it all now so I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out for the day- get some helpers armed with safety pins and a needle and thread to help you . Like the others have said though- don't let 'em get away with it after the wedding's been and gone. Wishing you all the best for friday, good luck x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Take it back to wherever did the alterations, tell them how horrible they've made the dress look and what are they going to do about it. You need to get a bit scary on this I'm afraid! You need to be polite but firm!

Put the dress on in front of them and get them to pin it and clip it until it looks right, then they are going to have to alter it back to how it should be. It's not unfixable, if the shape was there before it will come back!

Failing that, try looking at charity shops of ebay. I don't know hwere you're from, but London has an Oxfam shop just for wedding dresses - most are brand new and unworn from designers and they are all £100 and under! xx

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again

I'm from about an hour north of Inverness, very rural, not a lot of shops at the best of times, and no time to get one online.

I did manage to get a dress to change into after the photos, so could be worse. Finally finished up work now till after the wedding, big sigh of relief! Got a very busy couple of days ahead.

Thanks again everyone for your help x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics