Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

slinkysarah
Beginner June 2011

Dress Hoop

slinkysarah, 10 of November of 2010 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 27

My dress will need a hoop but I don't know what I am looking for! Will get one off eBay but there are all different ones! Any help would be great!

Here's the dress...

27 replies

Latest activity by Kat44, 13 of November of 2010 at 19:36
  • L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

I think I would probably ask the shop I bought it from what kind of hoop I needed - they are the experts after all.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Yes def ask the shop & try a few on underneath dress....try to enquire what size you need & what make they are then go on ebay...

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

My dress is hanging up on the door behind me ? I didn't get it from a dress shop I got it online, didn't even think about a hoop.

Any ideas what is the model has under on the photo (hoop/underskirt)?

It def needs something cos it doesn't have much shape to it when I put it on.

Thanks for all the tips so far xx

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

Haha thank's for your dedication to reply even with all that to do ?!

I'm certainly not going for the 'bell shape' haha!

I think I will try it on again (going round M/L2B at weekend) and see what an extra pair of eyes thinks?

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have a 2 hoop for sale if you are interested, its brand new. Email me if you are interested and I can send you a photo. ?

• N
    Beginner July 2011
    nikkilew5 ·
    • Hide content

I have just ordered my dress and asked another member on here who had bought the same dress as me (acopy of the alfred angelo 1136) and that looks like a similar cut skirt to yours and she recomended a 2 hoop one. the dress makers recommended an aline petti coat but i was worries that woulnt give enough life to the dress.

Obviously all dresses are different and people want different looks but just thought id let u know!

dress is stunning by the way

nikki

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous dress! Sorry I'm no help at all with regards to what sort of hoop you need although I have seen this one which I'm thinking about for a dress a similar shape to yours http://www.udreamybridal.com/white-train-bridal-wedding-petticoat-product-1166.html

Do you mind me asking where you got your dress from? I'm going to buy one online & I'm wondering if you bought from the same people I'm thinking about buying from ?

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks for all the replies I have only just got round to checking them!!

I never wear dresses I am always in jeans so I think if I had a hoop and couldn't feel the material against my legs I might feel a bit naked!!

I don't want it to puff out huge but it needs something as it just all gathers around my legs and feet atm!

Sorry I can't remember who posted saying they had one for sale, if I ever make up my mind what I need I will email you, thanks for the offer.

To all who have said it's a gorgeous dress -thank you so much! I agree!!

And finally to panda2011...I got it off eBay for a whopping.......£26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

£26??? Are you missing a zero off that?! Hehe, thats an incredibly good deal- Nice work ? Which seller did you get it from? Tis a lovely dress, is it a copy or a second hand one?

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

Lol Nope £26 (well £4 p&p too!) It was a lady who had bought two and this was the one she didnt wear so is brand new! Its a copy yeah, but to my eye its just the same :-) I think I was just in the right place (ebay) at the right time!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I got a cheap one off ebay to try - I got two in fact, a round hoop and one designed to be worn with a train... both including postage were £12!!!

I did find however that the hoop wasn't shaped right for the dress (like you I already have mine at home) so I called up the flagship store for my dress designer to see if they could help (I wanted to take my dress to them to try it out but they said no...) and they talked me through a similar dress, told me what jupon hoop they would recommend for it and explained about needing the dress a few inches off the ground at the front as with such a large train, it will pull the dress down at the front.

Try giving them a call.... I am now patiently waiting for a Jupon 128 to come up on Ebay!!!

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

OOo I love a good ebay bargain ?

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is also A-line and I have bought a Jupon 163 off Ebay for around £30, which has 1 hoop and lots of netting. Yet to try it out but it 'feels' about right from what I can remember of the dress!

• B
    Beginner August 2011
    Budget-bride ·
    • Hide content

?

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

I never had any intention of going to a dress shop so glad it was so easy to get one! I think I will follow the advice on here and hopefully get the right hoop/underskirt that I need!

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

Can I also recommend popping over to the MoneySavingExpert forum (the Weddings & Anniversaries sub-forum) as there is a lady on there who is a dressmaker and can give advice on hoops. The thread she started to give advice on is here (bit old but sure it'll be fine to start it up again):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1681625&highlight=dress+hoop

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi thanks for the link I will have a look ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Are the ones from ebay good or are they a bit like "you get what you pay for"? I'd rather spend more if it means the dress looks right. But if they're ok, I wouldn't mind a bargain!

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

It needs to be comfy and look good if not I would be thinking all day 'this underskirt is so annoying'!

If I get one from eBay I will let you know how it is ?

I want to get one soon so I can put my dress on again and see it all put together ?

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya,

Generally Jupon are recommended as the best brand (at least this is what came out of my research) and you should be cautious buying non-branded, they might be fine or they might not. Jupon can be quite expensive but if you keep an eye on Ebay usually you can grab a bargain. Mine was unused & BNWT and I paid half the retail price for it.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Cool thanks Annah, now I've got to decide how big I need it!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

This is the hoop I am selling on ebay, its a size 8-10 and is satin with a net overskirt -

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

Is that a two hooped underskirt then? Im trying to get my head around it all!

Sadly im a size 12!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrs C, what's your dress like?

mine has got a train quite similar to that hoop and was wondering whether i would need that style of hoop or a simple one or two hoop style to fit it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics