Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Oompa-Loompa
Beginner June 2007

Dress opinion - too OTT for a wedding?

Oompa-Loompa, 16 of May of 2009 at 15:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 56

I tried this dress on today and it looked amazing but my H thinks it is too 'much' (not price) for a wedding. What do you think?

www.karenmillen.com/fcp/product/-/Dresses/Concertina-technique-dress/903000052752?page=prod903000052752

56 replies

Latest activity by shooting star, 18 of May of 2009 at 13:41
  • Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, I think I tend to agree with your H.

• alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the wedding in question, but for all that I've ever been to you would have looked very out of place in this

• (
    Beginner
    (Have ·
    • Hide content

Depends on your friends and the wedding. if you're going to a super-funky city wedding, go for it. if, as i am, you're going to a peaceful country wedding up on the moors somewhere it would definitely be too much. people would talk about it for at least fifty years if i wore that, seriously.

but it might be right for you - only you can say Smiley smile

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content

Gah - I know you and he are right - it's just that its not often a dress looks amazing on me and this one sucked held and lifted in all the right places!

I also tried on this one which looked nice - more suitable do you think?

www.karenmillen.com/fcp/product/-/Dresses/Fairytale-print/903000052561?page=prod903000052561

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I am also inclined to agree with your H - not necessarily OTT but a bit horrible. Sorry.

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content

It did look amazing on Sophie - honestly!!

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

The second one is more suited to a wedding I think. Not sure I like the print/colour but it really does depend on the person wearing it.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

I think I like it but do you have amazing legs, I assume you do?

The guests I have seen that looked amazing at a wedding wore the below, which isn't a million miles away in length and style. However, it was suited to the wedding and the guests there.

Picture removed to protect the innocent ?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Even with an amazing body i'm not sure i'd wear a dress like that to a wedding Pooch. Very brave I suppose.

• (
    Beginner
    (Have ·
    • Hide content

Sorry! that next one's much more trad-wedding-y. definitely a go on that, i'd say. what would you wear with it?

(and tell h you need the other one anyway and he needs to take you out somewhere funky to show you off looking fab Smiley smile )

• ~~~liz~~~
    Beginner January 2008
    ~~~liz~~~ ·
    • Hide content

I cant see the dress but wanted to share a funny outfit story.

I was at a friends wedding once with a group of workmates. The bride and groom wore antique outfits and everyone looked lovely. Until one workmate entered with her husband both wearing full on rubber fetish gear. Literally head to toe in black and red rubber! They werent allowed in any of the pictures. ?

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh now I've seen the picture with the model, I think it's fine

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content

I agree with you Sunset, it was nice and looked nice, but when you are spending a fair bit of money you want to feel pretty good about yourself.

I have such trouble finding dresses, im a size 10/12 all over apart from my boobs. Most dresses at the moment seem really structured and fitted and i just cant get my boobs into them. If I go for a bigger dress size to fit my boobs then it gapes everywhere else.

I tried this on and I loved it but I just couldn't get it done up at the very top.

/www.karenmillen.com/fcp/product/-/Dresses/Exotic-orchid-pencil-dress/903000052745?page=prod903000052745

I just want a pretty dress!

• (
    Beginner
    (Have ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content

Pooch - I have got pretty good legs if I say so myself! And actually, as the pic with the model shows its actually not that short. I do think I would probably get a few comments on it though!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

That orchid one is fab! Could you get it let out a bit?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

The second one is pretty but I can't imagine it would be that flattering if you have big boobs.

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content

I really did love it Sophie - its stunning! I don't know if letting it out is a possibility - I was getting so pissed off that I felt like crying! I'll go back and have another look and see whether it could be done. Im having an inch loss wrap the day before the wedding but not sure that would do the trick!

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, not keen on the orchid one personally. That dress you like does actually look much better on the model.

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd normally still well clear of something like that for that exact reason, but the assistant brought it in so I tried it on and it suprisingly looked nice. But like I said before I dont want it to just be nice - I want to feel great!

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The key to wearing something like that is to feel amazing in it and have the confidence to carry it off. If you don't and you are even 10% uncomfortable then you shouldn't wear it! When I was skinny, I had "the" most amazing strapless Kenzo dress, with short crossover skirt in bright tropical colours. i wore it to a few weddings and everyone loved it!

I go to about 15-20 weddings a year (well did do until the credit crunch) and it's fabulous to see people breaking away from the "normal" outfits. I did one and Abigail Clancy wore a floor length, partially see-through (I tested perving in various lights) , animal print dress and even that worked! There was another lady there in the most stunning red pencil shirt suit. All of the people I've seen who look the best haven't worn traditional wedding outfits.

• Oompa-Loompa
    Beginner June 2007
    Oompa-Loompa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the advice. I did feel amazing in it. I saw it online and fell in love with it but was convinced it wouldn't fit or would look rubbish. I thought if I tried it on then i'd see how rubbish it looked on me and forget about it but its done the opposite thing!! I think maybe ill go back again with some accesories and see what it looks like and also see whether there is room to let the orchid one out slightly.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Jess, I am absolutely crazy about this dress http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/42140

Sadly I can't afford it but if you bought it I could visit it sometimes, and maybe even touch it http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/42140 ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Ah, just saw you said eveningy. Ignore me.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I was actually going to suggest that, Jess, it's amazing.

I wonder if there will be another AW sample sale this year, that could be a good place to get something.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

Oh that is gorgeous! Can you really not afford it? I mean, I come back to the hookering on the side ? Or what about begging Daddy? ?

Whereabouts in Italy is it? I only ask as it was soooooo hot at our wedding (Lake Garda), even during the evening so it may be that that dress is too heavy (I wore Taffeta and got a very sweaty bottom, in fact the first words you hear me utter on the video, as I get to H down the aisle are "My goodness my arse is sweaty", how very graceful ? )

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Fark me, was just looking for something different for MrsJess and look at the manequins on this site - drag queens or what ?

https://www.designerdesirables.com/short-evening-dresses-c17

• haagweg
    Beginner September 2008
    haagweg ·
    • Hide content

I've just seen that concertina dress worn by Aleesha Dixon singing her manic 'I'm so excited' song. Think it was on the Paul o Grady show the other day. She had the pink colour one though and it looked short on her but could be dressed up for a wedding I think.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I raise you http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/46164

• NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

I'm currently coveting this - https://www.coggles.com/store/item/Kelly%20Ewing/76894 although I seem to have nil ability to lose weight so my legs would be even vaguely presentable in it!

• DaisyDaisy
    DaisyDaisy ·
    • Hide content

I really like the concertina dress, in green. Looks really good on and I honestly don't think it's too OTT.

(I am shyte at fashion though, so listen to Sophie, not me)

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

Ok Jess, I am now declaring Net a Porter off limits, I found two dresses I liked on there for under £1k and they are nearly as much as the VW one, so I'm not much use ?

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/41650

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/39784

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics