Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HeidiHole
Beginner October 2003

Duke of Edinburgh types/people good with making meals out of nothing. Literally.

HeidiHole, 4 of March of 2009 at 16:11 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

My son has just informed me (don't you just love the notice teenagers give you) that tomorrow after school, for his DoE, he has to cook a nutritious meal using only a camping stove, the dry contents of the whole meal must not weigh more than 200grams.

Discuss <sob>

10 replies

Latest activity by Mint Spies, 4 of March of 2009 at 18:06
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

We just used packet stuff when I did mine - pasta'n'sauce packets, and chocolate crunch pudding. I have no idea who made the chocolate crunch pudding, but it was a firm favourite on the DofE scene ?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Pasta n Sauce it is then, thanks Flowery ?

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

Just found this, which might help: http://www.qegsdofe.co.uk/files/gourmet_food.pdf

• Secret Lemonade Drinker
    Beginner
    Secret Lemonade Drinker ·
    • Hide content

Interesting ideas here, though not sure about the weight issue: https://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Question221292.html

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, all, fab ideas!

• F
    Fussy Galore ·
    • Hide content

Knorr also do packet dried soup bit like cuppa soup but nicer! custard powder with dried fruit??? sorry bit rubbish really...

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

When my son did a cooking competition for scouts a few weeks ago he made chicken chilli with rice and pancakeswith bananas and toffee sauce. I bought him a packet sauce mix and tin of chilli beans for the main and one of those shake and bake pancake mixes and ready made toffee sauce. He cooked the banana with the toffee sauce first and it was delish(I'm the scout leader for his group, although I didn;t do any judging we got an army cook in to do that!). His group won!

For easy pudding you can always get a tin of fruit cocktail and evaporated milk - no cooking required

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Yep, pasta packets are the only thing I can think of we ate for 3 days on gold DoE!

Brekkie: oatso simple all the way

Pudding: angel delight (with powdered milk, yum yum).

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tins are really a no-no for DofE though - far too heavy to carry.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Problem with tins is the weight... Even if you don't have an actual weight limit for DoE 9I don't remember one tbh) you do have to carry it all so tins are out!

• M
    Mint Spies ·
    • Hide content

This might be too late now, but rather than the pasta'n'sauce packets, it's probably better to get quick cook pasta and a packet of dolmio express sauce - they don't need milk and will cook quicker, therefore requiring less fuel. Other options include fresh pasta (ravioli type stuff) and pesto; uncle ben's express rice (designed for microwaving but can be done in a pan); cous cous (the Ainsley Harriot stuff is ok); bacon and egg sandwich (in a pita bread); instant porridge (did they say it couldn't be breakfast?!). The other thing we do is cuppa soup stirred with a pepperoni as a starter - DofE special!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics