Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gracey
Beginner February 2012

Dyeing dresses??

Gracey, 1 March, 2011 at 22:30 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all Smiley smile Im hoping that someone can offer some advice please... we're getting married next February and as we are having quite an informal do and hopefully with a fairly low budget, I'm thinking that (partly because its my second time around too) the right sort of outfit for me might be some kind of bridesmaid type dress or similar?

Firstly has anyone got any suggestions of where to start looking for something that may be suitable?? The second thing is that I'd really like the dress / outfit that I end up wearing to be the cadbury purple - so can you realistically dye a dress even if its not white in the first place?? I'm just thinking if I find something near to what I'm after is it worth saving the hassle and getting it dyed - obviously I would get a professional to do it, just an idea atm though Smiley smile

Thank you!! x x x

5 replies

Latest activity by ashlil, 2 March, 2011 at 12:21
  • Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Afraid I've got no idea about dyeing but how about looking in places like Debenhams or Monsoon? They have some lovely dresses.

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't risk dying an already made up dress (I'd dye fabric but not an already made garment IYSWIM). While it is technically possible, depending on the style of dress, there are so many pitfalls it's unreal. Firstly, if your dress is a man made fibre (or even a polyester mix) you can't due it properly. Polyester (this covers most satins) needs to be dyed in an industrial pressure chamber during the manufacturing process. You can colour it slightly afterwards but it just won't hold the dye properly so if you tried for cadbury purple you'd end up with a lilac colour, which might not even throughout the dress. Silk and cotton dye much better but the chances are the thread is going to be polyester so you'll potentially end up with white thread on a purple dress. The fact that the garment is already stictched up could also mean that dye "pools" in certain areas so your colour could end up patchy.

If you're looking for a bridesmaid type dress in purple then check out the bridesmaids sections in wedding shops (or debenhams, or monsoon or wherever). You'll be able to choose whatever colour you like and there are some stunning BM dresses out there. I think a few brides on here have gone with BM dresses in white or ivory rather than a full "wedding dress".

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am sure that you could get it professionally done- it is straightforward to dye something light into something dark. I would have it done professionally so that it looks even.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I would second getting a BM dress in the right shade from a wedding dress shop. We are having that shade of purple for our BMS and quite a few designers do that colour so it would be easier to get hold of, plus, they are still gorgeous dresses, just a darn sight cheaper!

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gracey

Are you wanting something like these?

First 2 are from Coast and the 3rd is Debenhams.... HTH - there's quite a few online in that deep purple colour.... xxx

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Gracey - following on from our earlier conversation.

I nearly bought a dress from Debenhams debut range they are really nice x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics