Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner

Embarassing Problem...TMI

fishyfan, 11 of June of 2009 at 10:14 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Excuse the anon but i think you will understand why.

I have recently noticed that i have a really horrible smelling odour down there.

I have had some watery discharge and sometimes it has a strong fishy odour (sorry i told you tmi)

It seems to be stronger smelling after sex and the few days before my monthly.

I have a husband and have been checked for STI's before we got married as has he so i know it is not this.

What causes this smell and discharge and how can i get rid of it - obviously its really embarassing and i would rather not go to my doctor.

TIA and sorry i know this is really TMI but thought smeone may have some useful help/advise

16 replies

Latest activity by R-A, 11 of June of 2009 at 15:17
  • Monkey   Mavis
    Beginner
    Monkey Mavis ·
    • Hide content

I'm no expert but I would say you have an infection and really the only way to sort it, is a trip to the Dr. Don't be embarassed - they have seen it all before. Don't leave it as it will lilely get worse and there is always the worry as to whether it can progress into something more serious.

Call the Dr today.

• Katy80
    Beginner
    Katy80 ·
    • Hide content

You can't get rid of it if you don't know what it is! Be brave and go to the doctor - they see/smell this kind of thing all the time (poor sods). They'll probably take some swabs and then will be able to treat it. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here from a doc or two but the bottom line is, book yourself an appointment. Better to get it sorted than to comtinue with the worry and embarrassment. Good luck!

• RuthG
    Beginner July 2004
    RuthG ·
    • Hide content

Or you could go to your Walk in centre, they see this sort of thing a lot.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

If you really can't face going to the dr then maybe try some thrush treatment first as it sounds very much like it could be that.

• O
    Oddbins ·
    • Hide content

Have you changed washing powder, bubble bath, soap etc? Are you using anything to disguise the smell? As any of these things could cause a reaction that would result in a smelly discharge. Having said that I would have it checked out just to eliminate things, it will only be a swab probably and believe me your doctor will have seen a hell of a lot worse.

Good luck

• Mrs Geriatric
    Beginner September 2007
    Mrs Geriatric ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a doctor or medically trained in any way, although people often seem to think that i'm a nurse for some reason, but it sounds very much to me like bacterial vaginosis, which is often commonly mistaken for thrush but with the fishy smell it is more likely to be bv I think.

I just happened to read an article about this in the sunday paper. Just google it, loads of info comes up. Apparently according to sunday paper (mirror supp) there is an over the counter rememdy that you can buy, can't remember what it was called but thing it was about £9.95.

hth - Mrs G

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

This sound incredibly like bacterial vaginosis (BV) - a NON sexually transmitted infection that's more common than thrush! (but noone talks about it for some reason).

The best thing to do is go to a GUM clinic - they will be able to swab you and diagnose it there and then. The treatment is a short course of antibiotics (sometimes just a one off dose).

You could google BV for more info but it is really really important to avoid any kind of soap, shower gel, bubble bath 'down there'. Even the 'pH neutral ones'. The best thing is plain water, or if you must use something, buy some plain aqueous cream from the pharmacy.

Any questions give me a shout.

R-A (some time GU doc)

• F
    Beginner
    fishyfan1 ·
    • Hide content

Forgot bloody log in so excuse the 1 at the end of user name (thats the trouble when you go anon and have a memory like mine!)

thank you so much for your replies.

I have been googling symptoms for a while and i absolutly convinced it is BV.

I have had thrush before and this is different to thrush.

Mrs Geriatric, I have found the article online and you are right, you can buy the treatment oneline for £9.99 which i am going to try.

I know, i know i should go to the docs but its just too embarrasing (im VERY shy) and i really dont fancy sitting in the que for the GUM clinic with all the spotty teenagers!! It would be just my luck id bump into my teenage son or one of his mates!

R-A - thank you for advice from a profesional. I have suspected after lots of googling that it is BV and i know i can be sure without a swab but its helpful that you think it may be that after hearing my symptoms.

thanks again everyone

?

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

The treatment is metronidazole, which isn't available over the counter. I haven't checked that link, so I don't know what it's selling, but I'd save your money as the antibs are the only thing that will work. Your GP may give them to you just based on the symptoms without an examination if you're lucky...

ETA thrush treatment definitely won't help - thrush is a fungus and BV is caused by bacteria.

• F
    Beginner
    fishyfan1 ·
    • Hide content

Http://uk.balanceactiv.com/index/faqs.aspx#This_is_a_new_product

this is the link

I REALLY dont want to go docs so may try this first

• J
    Beginner December 2007
    Julia. ·
    • Hide content

FF1, (I'm not calling you by your full name!) why do you have such a problem going to the doctors about this? I'm pretty sure it's BV too, I had it a few years ago, and it sounds just like that. Really, you're not going to get rid of it without getting checked out and prescribed a course of anti bs.

You have nothing to be ashamed of, it's just one of those things that happens, and it's not an STI. The doctors will see more fishy lady gardens than you've had hot dinners! To them, it's just another part of your body. Go to the doctor's or your local clinic, and get it over and done with!

• F
    Beginner
    fishyfan1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Julie

I KNOW i am being pathetic and if it were anyone else id be telling them to go to the doctors and not be a scardy cat but i am too embarrassed/shy!

I know, i know they have seen it all before but i just cant face it!

I am going to try this BalanceActiv stuff - i see they sell it in Boots now and see how i get on with that!

thanks for all your help and advise ladies

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

I agree, definatley sounds like BV, but it would be worthwhile getting that confirmed at your loval GU clinic - they are so used to talking about discharges etc and do 100s of examinations, so its nothing unusual to them, and they will be prepared to make it quick, discrete and simple.

I have had a quick look at the site you've posted, and I've not seen that product before, but was impressed by the testimony from 2 GU consultants, so it may be worth a try if you really can't bear getting seen, but I do worry buying things like this online that it may be a complete fraud.

• F
    Beginner
    fishyfan1 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

same here however i have since found out that Boots stock it so i feel a little better about it.

I am just going to buy it from there and see how i get on with it.

thanks

• J
    Beginner December 2007
    Julia. ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a chemist, but I doubt very much it would work. Once you've tried it, go to your local GUM clinic, they are specially there for people with problems in that area, there is absolutely no need to be embarrassed about it, they see a different chuff every half hour! Like I said, it's just another part of the body. You wouldn't be too embarrassed to go if you had a chest infection would you?!

I'm assuming you've been for smears and stuff, and that this wouldn't be your first time? so why so embarrassed this time?

Regardless, I hope you get it sorted soon, it's not pleasant to live with. Best of luck x

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Only just got back on but WEES about GU docs being well used to the sight and smell of lady bits!

I look at about 20 minges a day ? Honestly, it's so not something to be ashamed of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics