Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Engagement ring *flash*, anyone else want to join in? :)

4 May, 2014 at 22:25

Posted on Planning 108

I can't stop staring at my engagement ring and I was wondering if I was the only one that does this? Lol I thought I'd start this thread as I always love seeing other people's styles of ring they have & any stories behind them ? so here goes with mine..... It's diamonds and sapphire in a "daisy"...

I can't stop staring at my engagement ring and I was wondering if I was the only one that does this? Lol I thought I'd start this thread as I always love seeing other people's styles of ring they have & any stories behind them ? so here goes with mine..... It's diamonds and sapphire in a "daisy" shape, which is perfect for me as gerbera daisies are my favourite flower! I chose the ring myself as I suddenly saw it online & fell instantly in love (the kind where you feel like you've been clobbered in the stomach!), emailed the link to my OH who's reply was "that is very nice, I think I'll have to buy it for you.." ? And here it is....

108 replies

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Love this thread!

I love the story that goes with my ring almost as much as I love my ring. Before we got engaged OH had talked about ethical jewellery as we have both worked in Peru and I have worked in Sierra Leone before and we have seen a lot of harm as a result of corruption and greed in the jewellery industry. (That's a really broad sweeping statement and I want to add that I know there are some amazing ethical choices out there, even in mainstream jewellers, and it's a very personal choice for us - I don't for a second judge or begrudge any of you your beautiful sparkly rings, I know they mean as much to you as mine does to me. This was just my personal choice.)

I was really clear that I didn't want gold or diamonds. OH agreed but said 'what the heck am I supposed to buy you then?' A few months later he came back from a trip to the USA and said I've bought you your ring - then he handed me a sold silver dollar minted in 2007 (we met in the USA in 2007 and he'd taken the time to track one down with the right date) we took it to the jewellers together and had 3 rings (His wedding band, my wedding band and my ER made from the same coin. I love the unity of them coming from one! My therefore, my ER is a part of a silver dollar with a purple Sapphire (sapphire for my birth month, purple to resemble amethyst for Feb, the month we met).

I am a total fiddler with mine. Plus I get bad eczema on my hands (hence all the wrinkles in the pic) and so sadly my hand often swell when I have a break-out and it has to come off. I hate being without it, and I think that makes my fiddling worse as I have to remind myself it's still there!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

This is my engagement ring -

and my wedding ring -

• victoriahbell
    Beginner April 2015
    victoriahbell ·
    • Hide content

Sorry about the massive photo! Mine centre stone is a 0.52 carat radiant cut and altogether is 0.85 carats. We designed it together and i love it!

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

Here's my ring (I haven't flashed it yet so was very excited to see a new thread starting up)!! H2B proposed on boxing day and had chosen this in cahoots with my daughter!! I love it so much, it's very me and I love the pear shape. I think I'd have picked the exact one out myself if I'd had a choice.

I think this is a huge pic, sorry. And I just realised the light from the flash bounced off the diamonds (although you get a sense of how sparkly it is I guess!)

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I adore my engagement ring. A friend of my bridesmaid is a jeweller in hatten garden. We went together and chose everything and he made this for us. We picked the diamond and it was based around that. The diamond is unbelievable and I'm ridiculously attached to it!

Here it is when I tried on my wedding ring, which was made to fit x

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Mine is exactly what I wanted, he chose it himself, spent a lot of time reseraching diamonds, cut, colour etc... and the result (in my eyes) is perfection!

I stare at it constantly and think it's the most beutiful thing on earth!

It has 13 diamonds in it in total and is a platinum band ?

I cannot beleive how different everyones rings are, some of them are so unique - love them!

• Decorated_Doll
    Beginner July 2016
    Decorated_Doll ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea if this will work!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

My ring is my avatar, but here's another picture I found. Diamond flanked by two amethysts, designed by yours truly. I always envisaged a marquise cut diamond, the amethysts were added as the ring my OH proposed with was purple.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

oh any excuse...

• MrsChowdhury2Be
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsChowdhury2Be ·
    • Hide content

Here's mine! (Excuse the sideways pic - first time flasher). Mine is from Tiffany, platinum band with a 1.3 carat sapphire, and to 0.35 carat trilliant cut diamonds. Id spotted a larger version of this in one of their stores (Looked more like costume jewellery and had a hefty 15k price tag!) And fell in love with the originality of it. Little did i know that my H2B then spent 2 months hunting down a smaller version of that ring with the lovely lady at Tiffany we originally met. This one was found in Australisa and shipped over to London in time for a very romantic proposal on my 30th birthday in Paris :-)

Im a fiddler too - and stare at mine a lot!

Love seeing all your beautiful sparklers ladies xx

• R
    Savvy July 2015
    RomanticGoldConfetti108 ·
    • Hide content

Hope this works! This is my Engagement ring! It's white gold but going to get it re dipped before the wedding so it's all shiney and new again Smiley smile

I love it! My fiancé chose it for me and he did a bloody good job Smiley smile x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I finally got it back after resizing! Its white gold with 3 diamonds. H2B got it from the store my mum works in. He went in there asking her for her help and she was shocked as that was the first she heard of his plans to propose! Nice bondine time for those two hahaha!

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/9568905/palladium+950+1%2f4+carat+diamond+solitaire+ring/

That's mine - won't post a pic as I'm on ipad. Had to order in the smallest then get sent away to be resized to a 'G' haha!

*EDIT* - Ring Flash added now! Smiley smile

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

Any excuse to show off my ring Smiley smile I love everyone's, they're all so beautiful, but of course it's the stories that go with them that make them even more meaningful. I actually chose mine as a birthday pressie just after Christmas at an antiques and collectors fair, I chose it because it is very similar to my late mum's engagement ring. It's gold with platinum top & heart shape with a small diamond in the centre, & platinum heart shape on the shoulders. OH let me wear it straight away (it was a few days before my birthday) but I was wearing it on the other hand. We went out for a meal on new years eve and he just said to me 'I don't like that ring it doesn't look right, but can I have a close look at it?' A bit miffed & confused, I handed it over, then he took my left hand & said 'Will you marry me? Only I like this ring but only if it's on THAT finger!!' Of course I said yes, he put it on upside down & it needed altering as my left hand is smaller for some reason!!! Wedding ring wise he is hoping to get a medieval posie ring for me Smiley smile

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

This is mine, and I still find myself staring at it! It has tiny diamonds underneath the main one.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I've done this before, but as someone said, any excuse!

It was his grandmother's, it's 1920-30s, and I'd picked it out of her jewellery box about a year beforehand when his mother was showing me - he remembered, and although he gave me a choice of rings, this was the one he really hoped I'd pick!

The picture is a side profile - it's a brilliant cut claw set, about .25ct, with platinum shoulders which have two rose cut (very old fashioned style of cut, just the top layer of diamond with no cone beneath) on each side, and an 18ct gold band.

The jewellers who resized it for me also design their own bespoke pieces, so I'm hoping they can design me a unique wedding ring to go with it. OH will be having my great grandmother's wedding ring, which is 22ct and has some Welsh gold in it, so that we both have something special from each other's family.

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think we're twins!

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

Very similar winterbride14, does yours have a little yellow gold on the shoulders? Very pretty! Is it Neil lane too? xx

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, the band is 18ct yellow gold. I'm not sure of the make as I wasnt there when my OH got it. But its 18ct yellow gold double halo....I just love it & lots of people comment on it being unusual.

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Triplets

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^ Ha, good choice! ?

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

I love it, it's a shame though because pictures really don't do them justice. Did you get yours with a wedding band too? I'm thinking about buying a thin plain band and using the original to replace my eternity ring... Turn it into a 3 piece! However not sure if it would look too much?? X

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure as I wasn't there when my OH bought it so no idea where it's from. I do know that I really want/need a wedding band with diamonds in though. I don't think a simple band would look too much with then an eternity ring too. Go for it.

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I've only had mine a week so still very much in the showing off phase (does that ever stop???).

I love mine! It came with the wedding band (we bought as a set) but OH has hidden that.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

OH picked this all by himself and I don't think I could have done a better job (I am hiding my nails! They are not at their best!)

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Here's mine, it's ruby and diamond, love it!

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

Here's mine - pic doesn't do it justice, it is an incredibly sparkly diamond as the cut is perfect. The band is platinum.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

CRL, I didn't notice last time this thread was bumped that yours is very similar to mine! Just the ruby is a different cut.

• SunnyPurpleCars143
    Beginner July 2015
    SunnyPurpleCars143 ·
    • Hide content

I got engaged in the Loire last week! Can't stop looking at it! Keep missing the green lights whilst driving!

• D
    Beginner September 2015
    danath ·
    • Hide content

This is my ring other half was having a ring designed for me and paniced that i wouldnt like ti so told and then decided to go and buy from a jeweller Smiley smile i wanted something that not everyone had, so i got Tanzanite and diamonds

• nataliecorlett_
    Beginner November 2015
    nataliecorlett_ ·
    • Hide content

Here is mine! I do the same, just glance down at it and just makes me smile like an idiot haha.

Crazy to think I got engaged in Paris last year and here now planning my wedding. Excited!

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Mrs.R.to-be ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, I've been a reader of this forum (and posted once) but couldn't resist sharing mine :-)

To be honest I had been telling my OH that I wasn't bothered about an engagement ring, I only wanted him to ask me (when he was ready) the question - to become his wife. I knew I wanted a wedding ring but genuinely wasn't fussed about an engagement ring. OH kept saying he wanted to get me one, because he then felt he "provided" for me, which I thought was silly because he already does provide for me in so many different ways - his companionship, his support, by just being there with me really (and vice versa) and setting up our first home together (we bought a house in May) and much more, so I explained all this to him. However, he can be a stubborn thing, lol, so I agreed a compromise - I chose a bridal set from H Samuel where you get the engagement ring and wedding ring - two separate rings that fit together...

He proposed last month on our 5 year anniversary and now... I CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT IT!!!! Turns out OH knows me better than I know myself, haha! Apologies if the picture is too big :-) Now I can't wait to receive the wedding ring part on our wedding day (spring/summer 2016)

:-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics