Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Canary
Beginner August 2013

Engagement ring on holiday advice

Canary, 7 of June of 2012 at 11:59 Posted on Planning 0 18

We're about to leave for holiday and I've just had a thought about wearing my ER in the pool?

Its a platinum ring and I've kept in on so far as been told it is unlikely to tarnish but just wanted to check that this is the same for chlorine etc?

Thanks and sorry if I don't get chance to reply to the posts!

18 replies

Latest activity by pumpin, 16 of June of 2012 at 02:32
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Have a great holiday!!!

Platinum is v hard wearing and unlikely to get damaged but personally I take mine off for everything like that inc shower, sleeping, washing up, applying cream etc.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine never comes off!! 18ct white gold, needs a bit of a polish where it has got a little scratched but other than that it is fine!

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Sep12Bride ·
    • Hide content

I don't take my engagement ring with me on holiday as I'm too scared to (even though it is insured), so I have a replica to wear. However, mine is platinum and I have worn it in a swimming pool and it's fine, platinum is really hard wearing so you don't need to worry about discolouration or damage.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Nuts on this one!

It goes in the safe when I'm not wearing it.

The thought of it falling off in the pool scares me!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Mine is platinum and I never take it off. I've worn it in the pool, jacuzzi, everywhere. It probably actually gives it a good clean!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I never keep any jewellery on for shower, sunbathing, swimming, sleeping etc so I would take it on holiday but leave it in the room or safe if we had one.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I took mine on honeymoon but kept it in the safe during the day. This is more to do with the fact that I get sausage fingers in the heat though.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I never take mine off - and I have horses, so you can imagine the bashing it gets (and when horse poo and mud gets in the setting, a good power shower cleans it out again ? )

Mine is white gold so not as hard wearing as platinum - it'll be fine!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

I leave mine on 24-7 there's way more danger of me losing it than it tarnishing! I wear it in the pool etc too. Only thing I'm thinking (and depends on honeymoon location) but I may swap it with a cheapo silver one I have kicking around when we're on honeymoon so I don't lose it.

• D
    Beginner April 2013
    daisie87 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is platinum and I take it off for housework, shower/bath, applying lotion, etc. I also wash it once a week with soapy water and a toothbrush. Oh, and I don't wear it in bed because I read that if one of the claws catches on the bedcovers and you turn over, your body weight is enough to dislodge a diamond. I take mine off more because of the diamonds than the platinum though. It's funny because I always imagined that when I got engaged I would never take the ring off, but I'd rather keep it in good condition than wear it 24/7.

I have another white gold and diamond ring that OH got me for our first anniversary and I used to wear that all the time and rarely take off, and it really doesn't look the same anymore. The white gold is tarnished and the diamonds aren't sparkly. I don't want that to happen to my engagement ring!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It will be fine. Mine's platinum and gets worn for most things. Needs a jolly good clean occasionally, that's all. I take mine for a clean to my local jeweller every now and then for a fiver, and boy does it sparkle afterwards.

One lady who works there boiled hers in a pan to clean it, but she forgot about it. When she came back it was stuck to the bottom in a big black mess. She was so worried as she thought she'd ruined it, but it cleaned up absolutely fine!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mine is palladium and I wear it every time i go swimming. I go once a week generally. Tbh it often comes out the pool more sparkly than when it went in.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I wear mine constantly, it's white gold and a little dull/scratched. I just need to give it a clean and a bit of a shine and it looks fine again. I have more chance of loosing it if i take it off!!

S x

• T
    Tricialen ·
    • Hide content

The thought of it falling off in the pool scares me!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I tested it in the pool on the first day and after being happy it wouldn't slide off, I wore it all week apart from at the water park we visited. Had no problems all week and it looks even more sparkly under the water ?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Did you have a good time?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had a fantastic time. Was nice to relax after the last few months ?

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I'm so slow and only just realised this was an older post ?

Glad you had a good time. Do you have any pics for us?

• P
    Beginner December 2010
    pumpin ·
    • Hide content

I have a platinum ring- have been engaged for nearly 4 years (get married in 4 weeks!) was initially very worried about doubt dishes, swimming etc but I never take it off and it's fine! Platinum is a very strong metal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics