Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

Eternity rings

Storky, 25 November, 2011 at 09:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 53

Are you going to have one (have you already got one?)? If so, what is the occasion it will mark? I always thought they were given to celebrate the birth of your first child but I've no idea where I've picked up that little nugget.

Husband and I went to an event last night and I chose mine as well as getting to wear some absolutely beautiful diamonds. All I need now is to substantially increase my bank account...

Anyone up for a bit of bank robbing this weekend?!

53 replies

Latest activity by Missus S, 27 November, 2011 at 10:13
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

My wedding ring already has diamonds all the way round the band so I'm not going to bother with an eternity ring.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

always!! tis quite a hobby of mine!!

I heard it was for birth of first child too...Mr F just thinks its a cunnimg ploy us women have come up with just to get some more sparkly stuff ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too.

I have a plain WR so would definititely like an eternity ring. Is it too late to add to my Christmas list?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I would like one, although I doubt OH would think about it without me ushering him in the right direction. Maybe for 10 year anniversary or something?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Same as Tricks. My wedding ring is a full diamond band. I didn't want 3 rings on the one finger as my fingers are quite small. Getting used to the wedding ring will take a bit of time I imagine!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I have teeny tiny child fingers (ring size I) so three rings would look odd.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

At least it's not just me who thought it was for the birth of your first child. I was trying to persuade Mr Cricks that I'd be delighted to receive one for our first wedding anniversary but he was having none of it! He reminded me that the first anniversary is paper (he frowned upon my suggestion that the receipt would be paper, boo) and that I could have one as and when I produce an heir to the Mr Cricks throne!

If we can't have children I think he'll give in anyway. Good egg.

Would you buy your OH something as an equivalent?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've heard the thing about the first child too. I remember my mum getting one when I was quite small - perhaps for their 10th anniversary.

My WR has diamonds on it too, plus my fingers are quite stumpy, so I'm not sure if there's room for another ring! My mum also had a nice diamond ring for their 25th anniversary, which she wears for special occasions on her right ring finger, so I might do something like that.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm an 'I' too but my fingers are quite long.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I have always though they were for a certain anniversary (I had 10th in my head?). I've also got full diamond band so I'm not really bothered about having an eternity ring unless I'd be allowed to wear it on a different finger.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Let's have a flash of these diamond wedding rings, ladies! Show me your bling!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Well the 'rule' I've always heard was it was for the birth of your first child, or your 1st wedding anniversary, whatever comes sooner.

(obv from the day where you were expected to get upduffed on the wedding night or soon after!!)

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

This is quite amusing:

The concept of the eternity ring was created in the 1960s by diamond merchant De Beers.[1][2]Edward Jay Epstein stated that at the time the company had a secret agreement with the Soviet Union which, in return for the creation of a "single channel" controlling the world's supply of diamonds, 'required' the purchase of 90-95% of the uncut gem diamonds produced by Russia.[2] The current fashion, particularly for engagement rings, was for a single, large diamond. The Soviet gems, however, were small.[1] To avoid stockpiling, De Beers embarked on a campaign of promotion of jewelry containing a number of small diamonds culminating in the eternity ring, which was aimed at older, married women.[1] One campaign slogan, aimed at husbands, was "She married you for richer or poorer. Let her know how it’s going."[3]

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I'm not too fussed by an eternity ring - I'm not a bling type of person and I have enough of that with my ER.

However, I like the idea of someone inheriting it - I have my Nan's eternity ring and it means a lot to me because of what it symbolises. I wore it during my wedding ceremony, on my right hand below my engagement ring.

As for buying my husband something - I don't know what, he doesn't wear jewellery (other than his WR) and already has an expensive watch.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Oh go on then!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it was given to me on the birth of our first child then no. I would see it as my reward for the agony I had endured ?

There'd be nothing suitable anyway, he doesn't like wearing jewellery and already has a watch.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Lovely rings! Mine loooks dinky compared to your whoppers!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Very sparkly!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

If it's for the birth of your first child, I'd best tell Mr ER to get saving. I'm due a ring...

I had a plain wedding band, purely so an eternity ring wouldn't look too OTT. Not sure when I had in my head i'd get an eternity ring though. I'm still waiting for my engagement ring!

Also, after 28 hours of contractions, and pushing a 9lb 9oz baby into the world, he can chuff off if he thinks i'm buying him something ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Ouch, ER! You deserve that ring, love!

This is the beauty I've got my eye on:

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Can't say it's something I particularly want or expect. Like my ER, I wouldn't be able to wear it for work, and I'm just not that much of a blingy person.

I did think they were supposed to be after the birth of your first child, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was another De Beers marketing ploy - they were the ones who invented the idea that an engagement ring should cost 3 months' salary too!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I had heard it is after the birth of your first child as well . I don't want any more rings at the moment but that might change ,definitely not having any more sprogs though.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

CB - that ring is stunning...I now want an eternity ring, before I even have my wedding ring! ?

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

**** does that mean I'm 10 years overdue a ring....best tell Mr T2B...and Ebony I beat you lol - 2 full days of labour + 9lb14 heheh

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

My partner bought me an eternity ring some years ago which I wear on my right hand ring finger. We plan on using the ring as my wedding ring as it has special meaning and because I already own it so saves us some money lol

So from the wedding onward i'm just going to swap which hand I wear my eternity ring and engagement rings on as i've got teeny hands and two rings on one finger looks a bit odd

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely CB.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Thank you.

What I have learnt from this thread is that I definitely do want an eternity ring but childbirth seems a pretty painful way of getting one. OUCH! 2 days? Aarrrggghhhhhhh. Perhaps I shall just buy my own!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics