Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner November 2011

evil MIL rant!!!!!!!

DTTB, 2 November, 2010 at 09:39 Posted on Planning 0 12

This is a long rant! This bloody woman drives me absoloutley crazy, if it wasnt enough trying 2 take over with my little boy, i had postnatal depression and she kept him once a week, which was lovely, then when i got better she thought she had some kind of right to him! she turned OH against me that time and we nearly split up!!

Wedding was booked for oct 2010 so in the planning for that wedding she interfered so much that, she took her nieces to buy flower girl dresses without my knowledge! I was only having my 5 year old sister, and when i confronted her she said well (OH) said it was ok! Its his wedding 2 not just yours... well she couldve still asked me bout dresses etc, and (OH) never said it was ok BTW, so that ended in her refusing to come....wedding got cancelled as we found out her mum had terminal cancer and OH was really close 2 her, which was fine i wouldnt have a wedding with him being so sad so didnt mind one bit.

After OH gran died she got a million times worse, the night before the funeral she phoned me and asked if she could take my little boy 2 stay once a week! which she knows i dont want but obviously knew i wouldnt say no the night before her mums funeral, so i said yes, a few days after the funeral i phoned and said i had a think about it and didnt want him 2 stay over once a week as there is no need for him 2 stay out but she could still take him during the day, which i think is fair, she then turned on me completely resulting in OH walking out on me and the baby, which he later told me that she had told him 2 leave me. We worked it out without his mums interference and he moved back in, he agreed that no matter what he will always stick up for me, he always just says.. you know what shes like just ignore her, what shes like is she is to used 2 getting her own way and now shes met me and im not taking any of her rubbish!

Now this months drama!! lol, Wedding is obviously all booked again, and when i told her we were looking at venues she said 'im keeping out of it this time' GREAT, she catching the drift i think.....well that was in august. We went to visit on sunday only for her to tell OH in front of me that its ridiculous that i am buying my bridesmaid dresses, they should be getting them theirselves! my MOH is paying for all the flowers, my sister is paying for the registrar and my other sister is paying for some doves, so she wants me 2 ask them get their own outfits 2!!!! aaaaarrgh, her other son is best man and he doesnt want 2 do a speech, so she took it upon herself 2 ask OHs friend if he will do a speech! OH is not happy about this, He also will not confront her as she is so moany he cant deal with the hassle, My MOH recons i should phone and tell her 2 butt out once and for all but its just gonna cause a major fall out again. SORRY FOR THIS MEGA LONG STORY, JUST HAD 2 GET IT OUT!!!!!

12 replies

Latest activity by Sloan-R, 2 November, 2010 at 11:21
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Goodness she sound like a horror!!

you do need to say something tho, to her face, and not get woudn up or cross when doing it........as hard as that may be!!!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, she sounds like a right nightmare, I do thing that you need to have a word with her though. It won't be easy but you need to let her know how it is making you feel. Jx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately a lot of mothers find it difficult to "let go" and accept their little darlings now have someone else in their life that has become a priority over them.

Sadly there is little, apart from confrontation and arguing, that can bring the matter to a head and put them in their place - hopefully your h2b will be supportive, ideally he should do it himself and "man up" but you both need to be in total agreement before anything is done.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Gosh what a nightmare!!! Not sure what you should do as generally i avoid conflict (aka a coward...)

Did you watch little house on itv 1 last night it is a thriller based on maybe your MIL2b by the sounds of it lol I would recommend you watch it might give you an idea on what to do with her - have read the book and know the ending Smiley smile

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Oh what a PITA you MIL is, you need to take her out for a coffee, without anyone else there. Just sit down and calmly discuss your relationship and the how you need to communicate. This is your wedding day and your life, if she doesn't like the way you do things then tough toenails.

BTW...Dove release ☹️

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness. She sounds like a complete nightmare. I think you may need to tactfully reign her in (if that's at all possible!).

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Hmmmm. A multilayered dilemma.

First, I don't know you from Adam, so feel free to disregard my advice. I'm basing it on what you've written.

My primary concern here isn't your MIL but your H2B's attitude towards you and your child. There is absolutely no way I would put up with being treated like some second rate citizen, allowing my partner to walk out on me at the request of his mother. You are his partner/soul mate/lover, however you want to dress it up, but also the mother of his child. His responsibility is to you and your child, not to his mother.

As for your future MIL, yes, she sounds like an absolute pain. Look at it from her perspective - she has a son who runs along whenever she clicks her fingers - why on earth should she do things your way? She knows he won't if she asks so why should she make the effort?

As we can all see, she ought to be making the effort as a decent human being but if her son won't take a stand against her, I'd be very surprised if her behaviour alters.

If I were in your position, I'd address both points, starting first of all with your H2B. Remind him that you two are his family. He is meant to be on your side and capable of defending your family unit, not running back to mummy like a 5 year old called in for tea. If he doesn't alter his relationship with his mum, you will always be second best. That might be enough for you, but it certainly wouldn't be for me.

Having him on side, properly and not half heartedly (he needs to understand what that entails), will make approaching his mother easier.

Good luck, I don't envy your situation in the slightest.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

As for her comments about 'who pays for what', how you react to this ought to depend on how you're paying for the wedding.

If she's funding it, I think you're going to have to suck it up or fund more of it yourselves. Never nice but one of the easiest ways to guarantee a free rein as to how you spend the money.

• D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! i dont know how 2 pick out and box the certain little paragraphs so ill answer what i remamber lol!!! I agree with all of u, he does need 2 change his priorities, it does my head in !! We r paying for it all with nothing from her so she has absoloutley no right to say who pays for what. I did watch Little House and i probably didnt help matters last night by coming down the stairs and saying 'your mum didnt say she was going 2 be on the telly' lol i couldnt help myself, ha was raging! And we arent releasing the doves just having them at the end of the aisle in ornamental cages (thoght it would be nice with my white theme). I know it sounds mad marrying someone that will walk out in her command, but i always wanted my baby 2 be at my wedding so planned it that way, but as soon as i got pregnant she turned in2 this *** and i obviously love OH so, it either get married and put up with her or my wee one has a split family because of her, which i think she wants TBH, as OH would move in with her due 2 finances which means she gets my baby half the week, i think that was the plan the last time. I hate my life!!!!!!!!!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a son like thomas????? lol well you never know the programme may open his eyes??? What does your mum think to her antics?

still have no gems of advice.... but wish you the best of luck in getting her to take a backseat in your relationship with your H2b

• S
    Beginner
    Sloan-R ·
    • Hide content

Sorry prob now what you want to hear but I agree, he needs to grow some balls. The fact he left you and your baby because she told him to is pathetic. You need to speak to him about standing up to her and you also need to speak to her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics