Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Feeling like i will never had a good girly dress day experience

Sarah, 5 of April of 2022 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 8

Sorry for the poor me post but I'm feeling a little deflated with the situations I have met so far with both my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses appointments.

I had an upsetting time buying my wedding dress, I bought my dress from Wed2b and posted previously about how the dress I tried on when I was there on my own (i only really popped into get a bridesmaid swatch) was the only one they had left and it was my dream dress. I immediately called my sister, my mom and my FML to arrange coming back the following day so I could buy it with them there after they have seen me in it and have the whole feeling/experience of being in my wedding dress with my family there. This was all agreed and I was relying on my sister as she would be the one to bring my mom to the shop as my mom doesn't drive and I am a 50 mile drive from them.

The following morning just before I was due to leave for the shop my sister called to say she had changed her mind and didn't want to drive and couldn't we just go another day? I told her it was the last dress and as it's off the peg I didn't want it to go but she still wouldn't come just said it wasn't convenient anymore. This meant my mom couldn't go and I ended up buying the dress with them watching on face time!

I have found my own seamstress to alter the dress as it's a size 12 and I am an 8 it needs some work doing to it. I have got my initial appointment this weekend for her to look at the dress and the fabric and see if she can work with it and give me a quote... I asked my sister to come and bring my mom so they can actually see me in my dress and again it isn't convenient. (I gave 4 weeks notice) she said it's a day when her son is at his dads which I said is perfect as a 5 year old will be bored at this appointment and I wanted it to be a girly day but she said any day that she doesn't have her son now will be spent with her new partner instead.... so basically at my next dress appointment as i will be having at least 2 more before the big day if she comes she will be bringing my nephew which is fine but I don't want him to be bored and would quite like to make a morning / afternoon of it with food and drink etc. So i'm going on my own to this first appointment and if i'm honest i'm debating just going on my own for the rest BUT my sister or my mom will need to know how to do the dress up as I will be relying on them on the wedding morning.

I thought at least I can have a girly day when we go to buy the Bridesmaid dresses. My sister is my MOH and my two stepdaughters are bridesmaids age 11 & 14, I am buying multiway dresses from a lovely lady who works online and has a shop at the NEC Birmingham where you could book appointments to take your girls and she can go through the different styles for the dresses and see what suits who with drinks etc....... anyway that has changed as she is no longer offering these appointments or having people at the shop, it is online ordering only.

Smiley ups Smiley ups Smiley ups I'm beginning to think i won't get the 'girls' experience I was hoping for. I don't have female friends so was kind of relying on my sister and mom to do these things with and I just feel like I can't even be bothered to try to arrange anything anymore.

Pity party well and truly in swing lol

8 replies

Latest activity by JiLlaks, 13 of April of 2022 at 04:25
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Oh Sarah, I feel for you, it is so hard when you have people living so far away and then to feel they are not engaged and invested must really hurt, I do feel your sister is being a bit selfish by not giving up one day with the new fella to come and support you, or you have to have the child theire which will distract, as you rightly say he will be bored. If he does come could your OH maybe have him while you are at the appointment so you can then have your sister and mums full attention. I get you want the experience, but it is not the be all and end all, focus on the fact you have found your perfect dress, and actually now, you could keep it a secret totally from anyone, but I get you want to have others opinions. Maybe tell your sister it is fine not to attend the inital appointments but you really value her opinon and want her to be part of it so you want her to commit to bringing your mum to the final fitting without her son so you can have a nice girly momet with them so she can see it and learn how to do it up, also tell her that you would like to have lunch with them after, just the 3 of you so you are giving her enough notice to find childcare and you hope she can support you . Regarding your BM's can you maybe order online and then have a trty on session at home with drinks and nibbles? Order a few styles and then return the ones that dont work. Try not to get too down and focus on the fact you are marrying the man of your dreams, that is all that matters in the long run X

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    This is so hard when all you want is that special day with them if she is moh she should be putting more effort on you not her new partner could you not ask your MIL to take your mum or is she to far away as for the bridesmaid dresses i posted some on your other post x💗 I do hope ypu can get the girly day you want even if it doesn't include her xx 💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I am glad you found your dress xx💗
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry if this sounds harsh but I would be tempted to tell the sister where to go! She is being selfish and unreasonable. Both my mum and my sister live 100s of miles away from me so I do emphasise, my mum does drive but won't do the motorway so my dad usually brings her or she gets the train on her own. Luckily my sister is fine with driving and she has been good with meeting up even though she has 3 kids and her youngest is only 3 yo. It is all about priorities and I don't think your sister has got them the right why round at the moment as this should be a special time for you.

I think Charlotte's idea with trying on the BM dresses at home is a good plan, we will have to do that as well as my BM dresses are coming from JJ's House online so we think we will organise a try on session at home. Making sure that things coincide with various appointments is a good plan as well so people only need to be away one day or so.

I would however have a word with your sister and say you are not that happy with her lack of participation, there are ways to word it gently but still get your feeling of upset across, especially since she is the MOH as well, she needs to step up a bit!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Totally understand Agree with Charlotte. On this hope you get. to sort things out xx💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Could you have your mum to stay overnight when you do the next dress fitting? Just thinking that might make it more worthwhile you going to pick her up and it sounds as if your sister is totally uninterested, so unlikely to want to attend any of the fittings. If there are any other details you would like her input on then maybe you could do those at the same time, so turn it into a bit of a wedding planning weekend for the two of you.

Something else to bear in mind is that very few people have the big dress shopping experience anyway. I know you see it all the time on films, but in real life, most of the people I know have been fitting dress shopping in with a load of other things. And those that have had the 'try on in front of friends' experience often end up regretting it because of all the conflicting views! It's easy to feel as if 99% of brides have this wonderful dress shopping experience and you are the odd one out for not having it. But in reality, I suspect very few have one of those 'film worthy' experiences. Especially in the last couple of years!

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Seems you have a plan and I think doing the BM dress on the same day would be great idea as you are considering her as well in terms of only coming once. I hope you can get her to come to the shop as is a bit ore of a special moment to see you in it than just putting on at home x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Think you have a plan it will be nice for them and also your stepdaughters to have that special moment xx💗 hope you can sprt it out and enjoy your day xx💗
  • Bliss
    Savvy October 2022 West Sussex
    Bliss ·
    • Hide content
    It might be worth having a chat to your sister and explaining how a girly dress day is super important to you and she might just change her mind. I had the same trouble with my dress I found it and the store had the try on dress heavily reduced and I had to try it on that day or order mine having never seen or tried it on. I was living abroad at the time and all of my bridesmaids were in England so I had to drag my mum sister and brother with me! Hoping I get the crying reaction when my maids see it for the first time at our wedding and make up for the lack of them at my try on ☺️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics