Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Feeling tearful :.(

18 September, 2012 at 22:55 Posted on Planning 0 21

I've had a rubbish evening.

My hubby2b's sister told their mum that she won't come to the wedding if another relative will be invited. His mum was in floods of tears on the phone begging him to not invite this person. We've stood our ground and said that everyone from both our families will be invited without exception.

He then rang his sister to tell her that we won't be told who we can invite. She said she'd have to think about whether she'll come! And that she doesnt feel important as a sister, and that we've chosen to invite someone despite her feelings about it. I chose her and her daughter as my bridesmaids because I wanted to involve his family seeing as I'm becoming a part of it but right now I really don't want her to be, I feel so hurt that she would miss her little brother's biggest day just because someone she doesn't like is there. Plus I feel really hurt that she doesn't feel her feelings have been taken into account even though I've given her and her daughter a huge role to play on the day!

21 replies

Latest activity by hazyclaire, 20 September, 2012 at 23:50
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

What's her problem with this other guest? Is other guest m or f?

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Do you know the background to why she doesnt want that person?

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

Hmm... Sounds a bit selfish of her, but nowt so funny as folk. Can you reassure her that they won't even be sitting next to each other, so there will be absolute minimum interaction likely?

I think you've done the right thing by holding your ground though.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

That is awful! Why do people behave so badly? She doesn't deserve an invite and putting her mum and her brother through all that...

• punkeddiemurphy
    Beginner September 2013
    punkeddiemurphy ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely selfish on her part. It's your/hubbies big day not hers. Unless there is a really serious reason why she believes this person shouldn't be invited then that should be told to you. But to expect you just not invite someone on her say so with explanation is farcical.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Dear lord that is a tenuous reason to not want to see someone! Ofcourse this guy would have sided with his brother but it was atleast 15 years ago....Let It Go! Give her a few days & she'll realise how ridiculous she's being!!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Anyone would think she's still sixteen the way she's behaving!

She'll probably feel quite silly about this in a couple of days.

And if she doesn't, I'm not sure she's worthy of the effort (or the tears)

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

I would be very tempted to explain to her about why she is a bridesmaid and that that is where her feelings have been taken into account and then remind her that actually it is not her day but yours. If she wants to get funny then she shouldn't be there anyway, she should want to support you guys no matter what!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

That's a very silly way to behave, I'm not surprised your upset if she is supposed to be BM. Get your OH to really explain how its making you feel. Such an old and frankly pointless grudge shouldn't be effecting your wedding!

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Oh,poor you- please don't be upset ! She is being massively unkind reducing you to tears like this plus she also needs to grow up and enter the world of adults- in life you sometimes have to put up with people you don't like-tell her to grow a pair and deal with it. I cannot believe how people get invited to a wedding and start laying down the law about what they will and will not do when all they should say is "thanks for the invite,I'm really looking forward to it " . Take a leaf out of Graceyfly's book, she has started calling people's bluff on their threats and it seems to be helping ! x

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I think your oh has handled that well. It sounds like a completely ridiculous reason to not attend her brothers wedding because of something so obscure and years ago x

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I think your oh has handled that well. It sounds like a completely ridiculous reason to not attend her brothers wedding because of something so obscure and years ago x

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I really feel for you, it's so horrible when people can only think about themselves and their own feelings and have no concept of being there for you on your big day. My aunty isn't coming to our wedding because she has fallen out with my cousin as she doesn't like her partner for really petty reasons. It hasn't even occurred to her that I may be upset that's she's not coming, it's all about how she feels. Well it's her loss and she will now miss out on any further family celebrations we have, christenings, children's parties, the lot. I am no longer interested in her. Makes it even worse that my other aunty is really poorly with cancer yet is going to do everything she can to be there and will be devastated if she is too ill to make it.

I've said it so many times, but you really find out who your real friends are when you plan a wedding. It makes me sad that some of the people you thought would be happy and excited for you end up reducing you to tears or causing you stress.

It sounds like your H2B is handling it really well anyway, so try not to let it get to you. I bet it will all be forgotten about by the day

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics